iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Cannon Films (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Cannon Films
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone else fans of the cannon group films? is there another production group that has as many good films.

if your a fan what are some of your favorites?

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viva Cannon !

-

Well, Cannon also produced some.. well, let's just call them some not-so-great movies. [Big Grin]
But among the best they have produced are most definitely Runaway Train and Shy People, both directed
by Andrey Konchalovskiy.
And a personal favorite of mine is ofcourse Revenge of the Ninja.. but you all knew that, right ? [Smile]

Practically anything you could possibly want to know about The Cannon Group can be found at :

www.cannon.org.uk

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bloodsport is one of my favorites

masters of the universe as well, i went to see this one shortly after i turned 5 years old and i remember quite a bit about the event.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrific website. I agree that Cannon produced a bunch of things that you could technically call "films." But unlike other exploitation companies like New World and Crown, I don't think that there ever was any attempt by Cannon to make anything remotely artistic. To the two excellent Konchalovsky films, I'd only be able to add "Barfly," "52 Pick-Up," and "The Company of Wolves" as worthy Cannon films, but only "52 Pick-Up" was actually produced by the Go-Go boys of Golan and Globus.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love cannon films,they made some of the most memorable films of my youth.

i especially love - the young warriors,10 to midnight,avenging force,death wish 2,3,4,missing in action trilogy,american nija 2&3,delta force 1&2,over the top,cobra,bloodsport, etc. - infact there weren't many cannon productions i disliked.

-

http://www.imdb.com/list/VM-RXaWJrh8/ - list of 29 cannon films

[ 06. June 2012, 09:27: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

was going to post this in the 80s blu rays coming soon section but thought this thread is just as appropriate- coming 2nd of october 2012 to blu ray from warner brothers is the 25th anniversary edition of masters of the universe starring dolph lundgren.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8873 .

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the most important production company to me.
I loved watching their movies back in the 80s and i still do.

Cannon.org.uk has listed 536 movies which are connected to Cannon group one way or another.
I own 148 of them so i still have some work to do [Big Grin]

They have produced many "art" films too, like Mascara (1987), which i didn´t like much
(or maybe i just didn´t "get" it)
but i still keep it in my collection because it´s a Cannon movie.

Cannon even produced the opera "Otello" which was directed by Franco Zeffirelli.

Anyone seen their 80s live action fairy tale films
like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Red Riding Hood etc.?

My favorite Cannon films are:

Avenging Force (1986)
Barbarians, The (1987)
Bloodsport (1988)
Borrower, The (1991)
Breakin´ (1984)
Cobra (1986)
Dangerously Close (1986)
Death Wish II (1982)
Death Wish 3 (1985)
Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection (1990)
52 Pick-Up (1986)
Invasion USA (1985)
Last American Virgin, The (1982)
Lifeforce (1985)
Making the Grade (1984)
Masters of the Universe (1987)
Missing in Action (1984)
Murphy´s Law (1986)
Ninja III: The Domination (1984)
Rescue Me (1992)
Revenge of the Ninja (1983)
Runaway Train (1985)
Shy People (1987)
10 to Midnight (1983)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The (1986)
Thunder Alley (1985)
Young Warriors (1983)

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i thought frank langella was awesome in masters.

the cannon films are alot of fun for me, the majority of the time i find out ahead of time that its a cannon film i rarely end up dissapointed.

use wolf's head golden 30 weight, it will never let you down. same goes for cannon

Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know Crash, I think that there is an art to films that may not seem artistic on the surface. Bloodsport for instance is a great source of artisitic, and entertaining fight scenes which seemed like a lot of time went into them. I would say that those are more artistic than fight scenes today, where the camera work is so choppy you can't tell what's going on. So there is an art to making a fight compelling, and realistic, while all the while being able to see every move, in my opinion.

Some might look at films like Bloodsport, Masters of the Universe, and Delta Force and simply say they are just mindless action, explotation films, cashins on succesful cartoons or the ever increasingly popular term "cheesy". Someone once said that one man's cheese is another's treasure. But I like somthing my brother told me the other day better, "Cheesiness is the Romanticism of a genera" That is what I feel is lacking from cinema today Romance. Not just lovers in a love story romance but romanticizing generas, actions, locations, professions, and more. Films today seem to want to take out the romanticisms. Look at Batman 89 compared to the Dark Knight. Practicality is draining the fun for one out of stuff, like the Bond sereis for instance. But for another if one were to look at things too pracitcally films like The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly would never have been made. That's why I feel explotation films, in their own way are an art. Canno produced alot of these great films, maybe a little too cheesy in some parts, but then agian, maybe thats not all that bad.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like exploitation films a lot too, but for the tremendous output of product, Cannon just can't hold a candle to New World or even Crown or AVCO Embassy, which produced way fewer films, but a higher percentage of really good films. For example, to me almost all of the early New World output is just superb, some of the best exploitation films ever: the nurse films, the women-in-prison stuff, Death Race 2000, Humanoids from the Deep, Jackson County Jail, Eat My Dust, Android, Piranha, Hollywood Boulevard, The Evil, The Velvet Vampire, Rock and Roll High School, Heathers, and on and on... Cannon's stuff, while sporadically interesting, just can't compare.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
atomik, i like cobra too
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
new world did hellraiser as well didnt they?
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King Soloman's Mines is another decent Canon flick.

[ 21. July 2012, 04:16: Message edited by: noikz ]

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i just seen on imdb where there is a documentary in the works about cannon films, with interviews from van damme, chuck norris, and golan-globus

sounds good

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
The documentary is going to be done by Mark Hartley who did the terrific documentaries on Australian and Filipino exploitation films. It should be great. [Smile]
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Blood on Satan's Claw 1970.
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
That's a good one. I always think of it as a Tigon Film, but it was released by Cannon in the U.S.
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many good flicks, pretty much everything on aTomiK's list is gold.

Especially Ninja III: The Domination. Now excuse me while I pour some V8 on myself.

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

^ I'm still waiting for that one on DVD.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
bloodsport is more than a film, its a way of life
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

^ Ray Jackson is the embodiment.
Rob@80s
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 13270

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Rob@80s   Email Rob@80s   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avenging Force and Death Wish IV really do make me laugh harder than most films that were actually made as comedies. Totally crazed 80s bad guy villains lol (the same guy right?)

Forgot Cannon were also behind Shy People. That is quite a serious British drama, with a nice cast. I have got some of these films somewhere mentioned above, but never got round to viewing them (like Runaway Train and Dangerously Close).

Ninja III is a total classic. Boy, do I wish I had that in 1080p. Must've wrecked about 3 tape versions over the years hehe. Of course, same girl who was in the Breakdance films, so sweet and friendly... who knew? [Wink]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Sep 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Good Package:
New World did Hellraiser as well, didn't they?

The Good Package, that is accurate. New World Pictures were responsible for Hellraiser.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

american ninja is actually getting the blu ray treatment here in the uk later on this year and they've actually started to release a lot of the 80s cannon hits stateside to blu ray such as

52 pick up
dangerously close
revenge of the ninja
enter the ninja
hero and the terror
avenging force
river of death
breakdance 1&2 etc.

i'm sure american warrior was the original uk title upon cinema release if i remember right, i think i remember seeing it reviewed on the bbc film program film 85 http://youtu.be/0vJTZfeIAc0 or what ever year it was with barry norman,used enjoy that show with him presenting it.

got to admit i definetly prefer the ninja in the title as to the warrior,american ninja's definetly got more of a ring to it.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

firewalker starring chuck norris and louis gossett jr is coming to blu ray in the us april the 21st 2015.

would have prefered invasion usa,delta force 2 or the hitman myself.

chuck norris fans (myself included) are going to have a good year,already annouced are - hero and the terror,an eye for an eye and now firewalker.

[ 14. April 2016, 07:54: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home