iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Cannon Films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Cannon Films
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

dangerously close (1986) comes out on blu ray tomorrow for the first time ever,it never actually ever got a dvd release.

fans have had to make do with the vhs up till now.

http://www.fthismovie.net/2015/02/off-shelf-dangerously-close.html - dangerously close blu ray review.

pretty cool high school set vigilante flick!

http://youtu.be/3eTeblxXUOQ - dangerously close trailer.

-

also released tomorrow to blu for the first time ever is the 1980 cannon films slasher - new years evil.

this was also a lot of fun,i have an old vhs of it!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Good Package:
anyone else fans of the cannon group films? is there another production group that has as many good films.

if your a fan what are some of your favorites?

The 1980's would be nothing without Cannon.

I'm also reminded of Carolco.

Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orion Pictures and The Hemdale Film Corporation were at the top of their game during the same period,
but none will be so fondly remembered as The Cannon Group.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
dangerously close (1986) comes out on blu ray tomorrow for the first time ever,it never actually ever got a dvd release.

fans have had to make do with the vhs up till now.

http://www.fthismovie.net/2015/02/off-shelf-dangerously-close.html - dangerously close blu ray review.

I'm happy with those first reviews for the Dangerously Close blu-ray.

A couple of months ago i had pre-ordered Moontrap, which was also released by Olive Films, but by the time
it came out there were some less than favorable reviews (mostly focussing on the god-awful video-quality)..
and i was like : ,..Oh nooooooooo..'

Last month Olive released La Belle Captive (1983) which i had set my eyes on ever since it was first announced,
but instead of pre-ordering it, i waited for the first reviews to hit the internet.. just in case.
It turned out to be a winner though, so i did order it as soon as i read it was a good-quality disc.

But those Olive discs aren't exactly the cheapest of the bunch, so i've become a bit more careful,
yet i couldn't resist pre-ordering Dangerously Close, and hoping it would turn out fine.

Now that the first reviews are up, i feel confident i'm gonna be happy with this one as soon as it comes in.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right johnny Olive films aren't exactly cheap,plus there never overloaded with extras,come to think of it I only just ordered an olive blu release the other day and that was night of the demons 2.

I got an old full screen DVD release of it and the picture quality looks like its been mastered of an old vhs.

I was a bit short of funds but I still ordered night of the demons 2 blu ray because I've been not only wanting it for a while but I've also got a gut feeling it's soon going to go out of print.

Because olive have just finished there deal with paramount pictures who own the rights for night of the demons 2,plain clothes,ticks etc.

If you look at olive films online us sale a few of these titles are missing from it.

Heard about the moontrap transfer fiasco,I've got a gut feeling johnny 88 films in the UK have planned a moontrap blu ray release at some point.

[ 25. February 2015, 04:50: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time i heard they were releasing Moontrap on dvd only.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=251739 - yeah i think your right atomik,looks like it was in the works at some point though.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"After just completing his training at a ninja school, an army vet travels to the Phillippines
and finds himself battling a land grabber who wants his war-buddy's property. He must also fight his rival." (IMDb)

Watched Enter the Ninja (1981) last night and i have to say that it was a small disappointment.
The film stars Franco Nero, Susan George, Alex Courtney, Sho Kosugi and Christopher George as the baddie Venarius.
There´s not much ninja action at all in the film and the comedy elements just put me off.
Zachi Noy (from the Lemon Popsicle films) is one of the Venarius´ helpers and the dialog between those two guys are like straight from Police Academy flicks [Big Grin]
Also, Nero can´t do karate at all. I know that this is not one of those films you should overanalyze but i can´t help it. Cannon classic? Far from it.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Franco Nero, one of the all-time great screen bad***es, but he's miscast here. I think that Revenge of the Ninja with Sho Kosugi is my favorite of the series because it's goofy fun.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

http://letterboxd.com/filmincarnate/list/the-cannon-group-1967-1993/

http://letterboxd.com/slapayoda/list/low-budget-domination-the-films-of-golan/ - a couple of lists of cannon films as featured on the cool movie website letterboxd,click on each picture and it displays readers reviews.

[ 25. July 2015, 04:28: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've become addicted to letterboxd lately!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might pitch to Cannon my Days of Rain Man idea. They are always willing to experiment with obscure movies [Big Grin]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
I might pitch to Cannon my Days of Rain Man idea. They are always willing to experiment with obscure movies [Big Grin]

-

and if they say yes to that one bernie try your luck with this - stallone training raymond babbitt to be the next light weight boxing champion of the world.

Raymond could be sponsored by kmart.

"Fighting out of the red corner in his Kmart underwear raymond Babbitt"

[ 27. July 2015, 19:27: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

https://youtu.be/6WgV5A0lDKA - nearly a 1 hour long documentary on cannon films in 1986,check out at 49 minutes - the kids delta force assault set with knife,grenade,machine gun etc. [Big Grin] also menahem golan talking about christopher reeve and street smart at 19 minutes,51 minute mark a party cannon put on at there new head quarters in l.a which had over 2000 guests included charles bronson and chuck norris.

menahem golan definetly seemed the complete opposite to his cousin and business partner
yoram globus being a lot louder and more outspoken.

at the end of the day i suppose no matter what they were like they gave us some seriously fun films!

-

[ 15. September 2015, 03:14: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

talking of charles bronson who ever knew that he done a xmas album [Big Grin]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The xmas album must be a collector´s item! It would´ve been fun to see Bronson in Delta Force but he didn´t want to split the leading role with Norris.

Bronson stuff from Olive Films, october 27th:

Messenger of Death (1988) & Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects (1989)

-  -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i like both of those bronson outings,kinjite is probably bronson's "tightrope" a bit more sleazy than his norm,actually i don't know about that as nearly all of his films were pretty sleazy [Big Grin]

messenger of death is definitely different to how it's portrayed "the vigilante is back - with a vengeance!" makes you think your getting another bronson action fest ala death wish 3,4 but really it's nothing of the sort!

still makes for a welcome change of pace and i've always quite enjoyed - messenger of death.

have any of you guys ever checked out this 1986 cannon films women in prison flick - the naked cage as i was wondering if it's anygood?

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
It seems that The Naked Cage never reached scandinavia which is a shame.
It was written and directed by Paul Nicholas. Loved his ´83 film Chained Heat. I also have Julie Darling (also ´83) but haven´t watched it yet.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Electric Boogaloo. A documentary about Cannon films. I can't for the life of me figure out why they gave it this title?

They sure made some absolutely terrible movies. some were good but a very high percentage of movies that were total trash.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
I watched Electric Boogaloo. A documentary about Cannon films. I can't for the life of me figure out why they gave it this title?

Fantastic documentary to be sure! These guys dipped their money in just about every genre or so it seems.
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, that documentary is on Film4 this Friday!
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
That was super fun. I need to see The Go-Go Boys now!
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That was super fun. I need to see The Go-Go Boys now!
Cowboys... who almost immediately went against their own movie making ethos. Thank god for them!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Tehehe!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Watched this lesser known Cannon/Golan-Globus film Haunted Summer (1988).

"Based on the infamous Summer of 1816 when Mary Shelley wrote "Frankenstein", it chronicles the mind games and manipulations
that were the halmarks of the intense and neurotic relationships that existed among Byron, Shelley, Mary, and her step-sister Claire Clairmont" (IMDb)

Philosophical discussions, mind games, sex and various narcotics at Villa Diodati, Lake Geneva.
The main cast did a good job in this one, especially Philip Anglim, Eric Stoltz and Alice Krige.
The story is not really that special but i liked the atmosphere and the excellent score, composed by Christopher Young, helps a lot.
In the end, there´s not much nudity at all if you count out completely naked Stoltz jumping in a stream [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home