iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 20 Questions: Valley Girl (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 20 Questions: Valley Girl
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks C.T.! This thread was extremely fun to create and debate about.. and there is no doubt that you are a legendary fan of "Valley Girl".
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember complaining about the men at work track during the bathroom scene.

i also have the vhs tape that plays this song in that scene, but i didn't realize the dvd not having it, until years after the fact. :-\

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bandolero
Rewind Curious
Member # 9464

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bandolero   Email Bandolero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
-How Randy tries to get the lead girl back several times and all of them fail but just because he showed up and prom and punched Tommy in the face they’re going to get back together? That makes no sense. She can’t take Randy back because she doesn’t want her friends to hate her.. but it’s okay to take him back in front of her friends AND the whole school?
From the moment she takes Tommy back (and he stuffs his face with her hamburger) you can tell she feels she has made a mistake. He has no personality. And as he tries to kiss her backstage at the Prom King and Queen presentation, you can tell she's just not into it, and she has realized that she really loves Randy.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C.T. & Ronnie.. the omission of "Who Can It Be Now?" from the bathroom scene of the "Valley Girl" Special Edition DVD ranks up there with Deborah Foreman not being involved in the interviews on the DVD. I remember going back and trying to flip back and forth from my VHS to my DVD checking for other differences.

And Bandolero.. those are some excellent examples of Julie's regrets for not following her heart with regard to Randy.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"OMG Im Gonna Freak Out And DIE!" Valley is that the house of the Val Party on page 2?.. And is 23727 Sierra Vista that real house's address? Ive always wondered what that house looks like today.. thought maybe it was torn down like The Sherman Oaks Galleria [Frown] That Mall should'nt have been torn down especially since it's been in a couple of 80s movies..It should have been labeled an 80s historical landsite
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pretty sure it Sherman Oaks Galleria is still standing not that I have ever been anywhere near the U.S, however apparently it has undersone major renovations and looks completely different which sucks.

80's movies it was used in:

Fast Times
Valley Girl
Commando
Back to the Future 2
Innerspace
Chopping Mall

90's movies

T2 - the girl who is being questioned by the T100 even says "I think he said he was going to the Galleria right."

Mother

I am pretty sure it is in Kickin' it old school aswell, which I thought wa a nice touch.

If it wasn't for Fast Times and Valley Girl who knows if it would have been used in any other movie.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

In the extras of the Fast Times DVD, they say it was torn down.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I remember watching that too. I am not sure on this but maybe the extras were done during the place being renovated/torn down/revamped.

I dunno.

It is in Kickin' it Old Skool also which is 2007.

Amy Heckerling is famous for getting things wrong too.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Amy Heckerling is famous for getting things wrong too.
How so? It does seem like their memories were somewhat vague (mind you, 20 + years, and they aren't really 'fans' of their own movies per-se - in terms of watching them over and over and learning all the minutia).
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well the thing that really sticks in my mind, which was mentioned on the commentary, however if you are a Zeppelin fan you will have noticed it years before. Kashmir isn't on Led Zep 4. It is on Physical Graffiti. She may not have written the screenplay but as the director she is ultimately responsible for any mistakes, but maybe I was a little harsh. I dunno.

I still reckon that the commentary was done during the rennovations.

Mountain Mike
Rewind Curious
Member # 6809

96 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mountain Mike   Email Mountain Mike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrashesParties n TheValley:
"OMG Im Gonna Freak Out And DIE!" Valley is that the house of the Val Party on page 2?.. And is 23727 Sierra Vista that real house's address? Ive always wondered what that house looks like today.. thought maybe it was torn down like The Sherman Oaks Galleria [Frown] That Mall should'nt have been torn down especially since it's been in a couple of 80s movies..It should have been labeled an 80s historical landsite

The actual address of that house is 23727 Posey Lane in Canoga Park, California Google Map it, then click on "street view" then click on "user photos" where I uploaded screen shots from the movie. You'll see it's the same house. The address is also on iMDB

The Sherman Oaks Gallery has been revamped to an open air mall. The new and (insert antonym for "improved" here) mall was used in Breakin All The Rules.

The older mall has been used in more than a couple of movies. In addition to Valley Girl and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, it was also in Terminator 2, Commando, Innerspace, Chopping Mall, and Phantom Of The Mall, Eric's Revenge

[ 30. May 2012, 16:24: Message edited by: Mountain Mike ]

Posts: 1 | From: Ventura, California | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 96  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great info Mountain Mike.. so you registered 4 years ago and finally decided to post?! [Big Grin]

Here's the thread reboot if anyone wants to have some fun with it:

-

I thought it might be fun to read comments and questions from the internet regarding "Valley Girl". There are quite a few "Valley Girl" fans on The Rewind.. and we have collectively discussed several of these questions at some point over the years.. so let's see what we can come up with as answers.

Remember these are from all over the internet.. so I'll number each of them to help us with attempts to comment or answer a particular thought:

1. When the guys were driving down Hollywood Blvd. with the top down and you see scenes of Mann’s Chinese Theater, Pussycat Theater, etc. what was that song playing? I have a re-issue of "Valley Girl" soundtrack from Rhino (about 8 years old) and that song was NOT on there…..Thanks in advance!

2. What is the name of the song playing when Skip is riding his bike to go (possibly) to hook with the hot mom, but ends up hooking up with the daughter? whats the song, like every soundtrack ever assembled, they always miss the best songs.

3. Why does MGM want to remake the movie? I think profits from Hannibal Cannibal burned holes in their pockets and they want a tax writeoff for a flop. You answer the question. WHY?

4. I’ve looked all over the web, I’d really like to have a copy, no matter how beat up, etc. of the 80s version VALLEY GIRL script.

5. Who the heck is Lyle? Is that Beth’s boyfriend/husband?

6. That whole exchange with Beth and Skip at the pool…what exactly is going on? It seems like Beth wants skip NOW, but then she goes on to say that Suzie is on her way home…why did she bother? Also, what does she mean when she says "plastics"? Does she mean to say "rubbers"?

7. Why did Tommy turn around on Loryn and say she was a lousy friend after he felt her up? I was just confused with that whole exchange.

8. Does anyone know if the first VHS release of the movie in 1983 was by Vestron? And is the UPC code 028485150164?

Also, does this first VHS have the following music that was in the theatrical release? These songs are not on the DVD release.

The Jam - A Town Called Malice
The Clash - Rock The Casbah
Bananarama - He Was Really Saying Something
Men at Work - Who Can It Be Now
Culture Club - Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?

9. This movie was shot between october and november of 82. But i wonder how different times have changed since the filming..

10. Personally, I thought Loryn was mega-hot! Who do you think was the hottest Valley Girl?

11. In the final scene where Randy and Julie are driven away in the limo you can see the limo get on the San Diego Freeway and the Sherman Oaks Galleria is in the background. If you google map the Sherman Oaks Galleria you can go to a ground level view and see the on ramp where the limo entered the freeway. Its kind of cool. You can see the Galleria sign on the building although it’s a different style now. I froze the scene on the dvd and almost perfectly matched the google maps picture up with the scene. Apparently I have far too much time on my hands…

12. I love this movie but the cover art has always driven me crazy. Who IS that girl standing next to Nicholas Cage as it certainly isn’t Deborah Foreman!?

13. I know this is an off-the-wall question but I just watched the movie (yes, again) and I swear I recognized the limo driver’s voice but I can’t place it. It’ll probably come to me later but does anyone know who played the role? Thanks!

14. In the 2:27-long theatrical trailer, there is a list of song performers (at the 2:14 mark) that includes the Blasters. Does anyone know which song by them was in the movie’s theatrical version? Was it "I’m Shakin’," which was released in the early ’80s?

15. If you watch the scene when Randy takes Julie out during the party. If you notice when they are driving around Hollywood, they pass by a couple of movie theaters. The marquees show movies that were released in 1980, An Officer and A Gentleman, and Empire Strikes Back. Valley Girl was supposedly filmed in 1983. That has always bothered me.

16. I’ve gotten most of the music from "Valley Girl" except for the one early on in the film, playing in the background while the girls are at the mall. Any help will be appreciated.

17. Ok–This has been driving me crazy!!!
I bought the special edition DVD the day it came out and included in the easter eggs was an interview with Nic Cage and the director at The Viper Club where the bar scenes were shot (Very Cool!) and also a featurette called "Valley Girl 20 Totally Tubular Years later" with cast and crew interviews.
About a year later I bought what I thought was the very same "special edition" DVD for a friend but those segments were excluded with only the director commentary as an added feature. What gives???

18. In the 1983 movie Valley Girl with Nicolas Cage in it there's this song. It's in the party scene and I don't know the lyrics exact. But, I believe it goes shelly you've got a boyfriend don't let your boyfriend put you down. (I don't know if it goes exactly like that) Does anybody know the name of the song?

19. Besides Valley Girl, What other movie did Deborah Foreman (Julie) and Michelle Meyrink (Suzi) star in together?

<And finally, here's a classic rant that would probably make Crash's The Facts of Life Top 20 list [Big Grin] >

20. I just watched it and, in my opinion, it was very poorly made. I liked some parts of it.. like how the valley girl fell in love with the hollywood guy (and i liked both of the actors) but I couldn’t stand some other parts like:

-How, after being with Randy so long and falling in love with him, all it took was her friends saying that she should get back with Tommy for her to dump Randy and go back to Tommy. It doesn’t make any sense. Sure, whatever.. she wanted to keep her friends. Why couldn’t she just be single, though? She didn’t like Tommy before.. that’s why she broke up with him. After being with someone else so amazing wouldn’t that make her dislike him even more?

-How so many questions were left unanswered: why didn’t the lead girl (i forget her name) ever find out about Tommy and her slutty friend? What was up with the lead girl’s parents? They had only been married last year? And what about that one girl who was always competing with her mom for guys? Her dad died or something? (this may have been explained but i didnt catch it) And what about that guy they were fighting over? I thought he wanted the mom and then it just shows the mom walking in on him and her daughter in bed. What?! They never explained that! Did he just like the mom AND the daughter? And what did the mom have to say about that?

-How Randy tries to get the lead girl back several times and all of them fail but just because he showed up and prom and punched Tommy in the face they’re going to get back together? That makes no sense. She can’t take Randy back because she doesn’t want her friends to hate her.. but it’s okay to take him back in front of her friends AND the whole school?

It was too undeveloped and rushed. Could’ve been way better.

YesterdayHE
Rewind Curious
Member # 12039

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for YesterdayHE   Author's Homepage   Email YesterdayHE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is doubtful.
Posts: 1 | From: Thailand | Registered: May 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"undevelop and rushed"... Lol if thats how somebody feels about Valley Girl no biggie people are intitled to there own views and opinions does'nt mean i have to agree or even respect them and vice versa about my views and opinions [Smile] But for ME ValleyGirl is and will forever be one the thee best movies in history.
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

-

Ha, love this picture. Randy's walking in, hands in pockets and thinks "What am I doing here!?"

Also, you gotta love the way Brad looks Randy up and down thinking the same thing ha! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Deborah Foreman is on Facebook now and she has been answering a lot of questions about her movies as well as posting some awesome behind the scenes pics.

Anyway, I asked her about the mysterious girl on the poster, and she said that it was indeed the actress who played Randy's ex-girlfriend (she had her dyed blonde for the poster). I asked her if that actress was orignally cast to play Julie and she said no. She said that there was a lot of shady things happening with the making of that movie and it wasn't until many years later that she became aware of them (she said it would've been considered bullying today).

She also said that she chose not to participate in the special edition dvd features because she was supposed to be in the interview segment with Nic Cage and Martha Coolidge but at the last minute, they asked her to just be lumped in with the other girls. She felt that as the actress who played the title role, that was a slap in the face (rightly so) and decided not to participate.

You can check out her FB profile here: http://www.facebook.com/deborahlforeman

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Veronica! Finally my question has been answered! After reading that I can understand why Deborah chose not to do it. Randy and Julie are the TWO MAIN characters. It was stupid of the people who produced the extras to not have her and Nic do that interviews together. It would have been great to see those two sitting there across from Martha and trading stories back and forth about this movie that we all love so much.
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other question I have on the interview extras was this; where was Michelle Meyrink?(Susie) Couldn't they find her? Is she still alive? What's the story?
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zigyma7ik
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen this movie.
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skatexedge - check this article out about Michelle Meyrink here, Where are they now - Michelle Meyrink
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
Thank you again Veronica! That answers all my questions. =)
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home