iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Star Trek (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW....Zoe Saldana who played Uhura...she's purdy... [Eek!]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
BTW....Zoe Saldana who played Uhura...she's purdy... [Eek!]

She sets her phaser on stunning, I wouldn't mind beaming her up to my bridge, all right 'Carry On' fans, make up your own innuendos.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good movie, loved the parts where Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk went William Shatner to put the button on those scenes (e.g. Kobayashi test, final scene aboard The Enterprise) Zachary Quinto was born to play Mr Spock and his comic timings right on cue (a round of applause for the casting director on that one), Karl Urban is excellent as Dr McCoy and my favourite character here whilst Star Trek’s supporting cast all play their parts well (nod to John ‘Harold’ Cho as Sulu who hilariously equates fencing with hand-to-hand combat and the laugh-a-minute Anton Yelchin as Chekov).

The romantic liaison between Uhura and Spock was a bit clichéd and out of sorts with the picture as a whole and there were a few scenes that wobbled or lacked credibility. Star Trek icon Leonard Nimoy whistles through his dentures in a pretty decent co-star role as future Mr Spock, or Spock Prime as he's listed in the credits, Winona Ryder’s cameo as Spock's mother was a tad pointless though I get the feeling a lot of her scenes were cut, and will probably re-appear on DVD. They could’ve bought Bill Shatner back considering ‘Generations’ was the worst instalment ever (closely followed by 'Insurrection') and that Captain Kirk's ignominious demise was the lamest exit in movie history; though I can understand Abram’s reasoning as why you couldn’t have too many familiar faces back if you’re attempting to reboot the franchise.

Now I’m a Star Trek fan, but not a Trekkie per say, in that I know the series and films quite well, but couldn’t tell you what Spock had for breakfast in episode 4 on stardate 2127.6 (Cheerios, maybe?) and Star Trek 2009 features some nice action / space battles, high on emotion but low on intelligence, its an entertaining, well paced summer blockbuster; nothing more, nothing less. I watched one of my favourite episodes from the original series ('The Enemy Within') immediately afterwards and, for obvious reasons, its not quite the same; there was a low tech, high calibre charm in the 1960s: a lot more emphasis on character and thought provoking storylines about human nature, the world and our place in it. Here, cerebral musings are undercut by laconic, witty one liners, razzle dazzle em' lasers and familiar sci-fi action movie set pieces. Director J.J Abram's seems to have conscientiously worked to a 'ST' fan's checklist in much the same way as he did in 'Mission Impossible III' and all the catchphrases, themes and motifs we know & love are present & accounted for. Other than that, the usual Abrams directorial problems persist e.g. TV style close ups, fast cuts and a almost no wide or epic shots. Good use of colors and lens flare though.

Its Star Trek, but not as we know it...

[ 16. May 2009, 19:50: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In episode 4, Spock ate toast with Andosian marmalade for breakfast.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot about the Spock/Uhura romance. Add that to my list of things working against the movie, as I agree, that fell majorly flat. They established the Kirk/Uhura sexual tension and then just deflated it with the lame revelation that she's already with Spock. It would have been a much better bet to just play out that tension between Kirk & Uhura over the course of a couple sequels (ala Han Solo and Princess Leia). Besides I just don't buy Uhura and Spock together...
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed the movie. Once you wrap your head around the fact that it is NOT the original Star Trek that is...

I didn't see any problems with Winona Ryder playing Spocks' mother, or with the Spock/Uhura romance. You just need to remember that it's NOT the same Star Trek.

I think all of the characters were played well. My least favorite would be Chekov.

[Big Grin] Weeeeeeeeeeee.......

-

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like you have two pictures of Shatner there. Also, the pictures of John Cho and George Takei are in reverse order.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see the movie for the second time...really really like it. Might just start watching the original series, which I've not seen much of. I think they did a great job with the casting, but agree with jdoc...not sure about the Chekov role...I think mostly because I've seen the actor in a couple of recent roles and it was hard for me to detach from that...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by journey:

It looks like you have two pictures of Shatner there. Also, the pictures of John Cho and George Takei are in reverse order.

No Sir, that is in fact Chris Pine as capt. kirk. He looks a lot like him in this picture doesn't he?

Closeup:

-

Yes, Cho and Takei are backwards, but, did you notice the biggest difference? Cho is Korean not Japanese...

[Big Grin]

[ 19. May 2009, 14:25: Message edited by: jdocster ]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great jobs by Abrams! We just got out of seeing this as we decided to go see it finally before the Terminator Salvation midnight premiere. I also like how they used Nimoy in the film. 8/10.....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home