iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Star Trek (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are going to see it tonight, I'm so excited!!!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No midnight showing here I guess we'll go sometime Friday.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First airing here was 11.45 this morning, but we didn't go until the 6.45 session.

I loved it.

My one problem with it is that the Vulcan sky was blue, when it should have been red, but that's the nerd in me coming out.

Also, I can't believe that Darth Vader is Kirk's father! OMG!!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it doesn't start here until friday i am sure my hubby will want to go see it he is a bigger star trek fan then i am but i do like the original old star trek shows alot we still watch them on sci-fi when they are on!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJ Loves Takashi
Master Rewinder
Member # 7767

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EJ Loves Takashi   Email EJ Loves Takashi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen any Star Trek shows or antything...sorry I lived a shletered life. A friend of a friend worked on some of the CGI for the movie so I want to go see it for that. You never know, maybe this could be a jumping off point for me.
Posts: 155 | From: Today Indiana....probably tomorrow too actually! | Registered: Feb 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a special screening of 'Star Trek' Sunday night. The event was for Budweiser employees(I'm not one myself). All the scenes that take place in the belly of 'U.S.S. Enterprise' were actually shot in the Los Angeles brewery.

It had a great story, pace, and execution.

Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Fightertown, does that mean that those water tubes normally carry beer?
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught it yesterday and enjoyed it also. I had a few quibbles, but nothing that really ruined the movie for me. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto did commendable jobs channeling their respective predecessors, without ever devolving into cheap impersonations. Leonard Nimoy and Bruce Greenwood were fantastic as always too. The only person that seemed grossly out of place was Winona Ryder. She fits into the Trek universe about as well as she did the Alien universe. Fortunately, her screen time was minimal.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
I learnt from IMDB (I don't know if it was ever mentioned in the series before) that Kirk's mother's name was Winona Kirk!
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it and loved it. I agree jouney...I really didn't like Winona Ryder in the film either...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just watched a pirated version of the movie online...and I'll just say I'm glad I didn't pony up the dough to go see it in the theatres..I didn't really care for it.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing it next week, no love for Winona Ryder around these parts [Frown] one of my favourite 80s stars, I'm hoping this movie marks a comeback of sorts, loved her in 'Alien: Ressurection': "I burned my modem. We all did". What a line.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch Groover:
First airing here was 11.45 this morning, but we didn't go until the 6.45 session.

I loved it.

My one problem with it is that the Vulcan sky was blue, when it should have been red, but that's the nerd in me coming out.

Also, I can't believe that Darth Vader is Kirk's father! OMG!!

Stitch,

They explain that the red sky appears to be blue to us humans not red because we don't see the "entire" Vulcan color spectrum...

Live long, and may the force be with you... [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Thanks Jdoc! There must have been an atmospheric disturbance during those episodes of Enterprise set on Vulcan, coz I'm positive the sky was red then... but that was a few years ago that I watched it so I'm likely wrong.
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stitch...jdoc = Revenge Of The Nerds Part 7 [Big Grin] [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot about Tyler Perry's cameo. He was even more ridiculously out of place than Winona. The whole theater busted out laughing when he made his first appearance.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I like the idea of semi no-names playing the roles of these iconic characters. The original Star Wars is a prime example...all those people are primarily remembered for the roles they played in this film...so Mark Hamile really is Luke Skywalker...not just an actor playing a character. They ruined it with the prequels giving roles to Liam Neeson and Sam Jackson...both great actors, but hard to detatch them from previous roles...so...Mace Windu is... that dude that played in Pulp Fiction. Same with Winona in Star Trek...it's like...hey...there's Winona Ryder dressed up in a robe, playing Spock's Mom....an unknown actress would have best suited this role...IMO. Does any of this make sense?
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that Shatner was royal pizzed because he wasn't asked to be in the movie even a short part. Does anybody know why he wasn't?
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Would have put them over budget...too much material for his uniform....ouch...that was rude....
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
I read somewhere that Shatner was royal pizzed because he wasn't asked to be in the movie even a short part. Does anybody know why he wasn't?

Probably because Kirk had died in Trek Lore...

Noms Trek [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Of course, none of this film or any that follow are going to be part of Trek canon....
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
Stitch...jdoc = Revenge Of The Nerds Part 7 [Big Grin] [Razz] [Wink]

Heheee....

They are playing this in the IMAX theater here. I'm so there this weekend!

quote:
Thanks Jdoc! There must have been an atmospheric disturbance during those episodes of Enterprise set on Vulcan, coz I'm positive the sky was red then... but that was a few years ago that I watched it so I'm likely wrong.

In the future episodes of Star Trek all humans can see the "entire" Vulcan color spectrum... [Smile]

More detailed geekiness...
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Vulcan

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course, none of this film or any that follow are going to be part of Trek canon....

***SPOILERS***
Which was only true after the Romulans had passed through the singularity taking them back in time. It could be argued that everything that occurred before that moment was in keeping with canon, thus meaning that prior to the Romulan world being destroyed, Kirk had already been killed.

Paradoxical Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
I read some stuff regarding Shatner's exclusion from the film. In an early draft of the screenplay he was to appear along with Spock, having travelled through the wormhole with him. However, the filmmaker's decided it was wrong to explicitly violate the original storyline that way since his character was killed in Generations. So even though this film takes place in an alternate timeline, Spock and Nero's Gang are from the original (unaltered) timeline where Kirk should be dead. So the whole thing was about respecting the original canon and not pandering to fans. I agree with their rationale 100%. Nimoy appartently didn't care for the decision either, however. Ironic, considering he and Shatner have not always been the best of buddies. By the way, Nichelle Nichols was also supposed to have a cameo in the film, playing Uhura's Grandmother, but her scene got cut.
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
I like the idea of semi no-names playing the roles of these iconic characters. The original Star Wars is a prime example...all those people are primarily remembered for the roles they played in this film...so Mark Hamile really is Luke Skywalker...not just an actor playing a character. They ruined it with the prequels giving roles to Liam Neeson and Sam Jackson...both great actors, but hard to detatch them from previous roles...so...Mace Windu is... that dude that played in Pulp Fiction. Same with Winona in Star Trek...it's like...hey...there's Winona Ryder dressed up in a robe, playing Spock's Mom....an unknown actress would have best suited this role...IMO. Does any of this make sense?

I agree with you completely. Hollywood loves casting big name stars since they think we'll all appreciate the feeling of recognition, but it's bad form in movies like these. It ends up being very distracting and damages my suspension of disbelief. Of course that being said, Star Wars was hardly free from it either. Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing were both big stars that most audience members in 1977 would instantly recognize.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home