iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » USA a safer place now then 20 years ago (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USA a safer place now then 20 years ago
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the gun's fault anyways don't blame your hubby. Tell him congratulations!
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah congrats, you must be really proud.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sitting on the fence with this one. As Michael Moore has pointed out, the media has people scared silly re weopons and violence..fear is a very strong emotion. I know if anyone ever broke into my house and hurt my family...I'd have wanted a gun. Not scared enough to make that decision yet, but if things got bad enough, I'd make sure I could protect myself and my family. Although...I only get mad about once a year...and don't even kill bugs unless they bite me....I pity da fool who tries to hurt my family...all that pent up anger unleashed at one time doesn't look pretty...
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't kill bugs either, kevdugp73....! If I see a spider or a fly or something in my house, I help them outside. But if I see some lowlife junkie with my dvd player in his hands, im gonna beat him so bad, that they need his ****ing dental records for identification!

But I think it is a good idea to be preemtive (sp?). You don't "live in fear" because you have a weapon in your house. You're just ready for the worst case scenario.

And I would rather say that, "I was prepared, and I came out on top" than, "I was not prepared, but I should have been, and now it is too late".

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote Christian Slater's character Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

'it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.'

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent quote, Sammy... and very true!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add my thoughts to this debate...

All i know is that when I was in Afghanistan, I was happy that I had a gun... [Wink]

Shooter Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Does whatever a SpiderNOMS does...:
To add my thoughts to this debate...

All i know is that when I was in Afghanistan, I was happy that I had a gun... [Wink]

Shooter Noms [Cool]

All we know is, when you had a gun, we were happy that you were in Afghanistan (and not in Shermer, Illinois, for example...)
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today....in a town 7 miles from me....2- 13 year old boys were goofing around filming themselves doing something to put on you tube. There was a gun at the house they were in, and some how, one of the 13 year old boys found it, and shot and killed the other one. Now, the parents of the one boy... they are both drug addicts. He's the one that is dead. Who was around to teach that kid gun safety, and who was practicing gun safety? Nobody. That's why this stuff happens all the time. People who do take care of their guns...that's not the problem, it is people who don't take care of their guns. And there's a ton of them. So, people can jump up and down all day long saying how safe they are with their guns- but not everyone is that way, and that is the reason bad things like this happen. It makes me sick.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAY LEE:

But I think it is a good idea to be preemtive (sp?).

I have to disagree with you on that point, Jay Lee. Imagine if everyone were pre emptive? Shooting first before asking questions? It would be a pretty terrifying world to live in.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Try living in my neighbourhood.... trust me, you will wanna have some kind of weapon(s) in your house!

I don't need to ask a ****load of questions if you're breaking in to my house in the middle of the night! Im no math wiz, but by my humble accounts, your not the mailman, making a special all night delivery!

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay Lee-did you ever thinking about moving? I never understand why people stay in crime areas.

You can go back and visit- or let people come visit you. You can get a job anywhere, and usually the crime areas are in cities-so the cost of living is always more there, so move and go to the suburbs, and leave that whole scene.

I can't imagine worrying every day of someone breaking in to my home. All though it seems no matter where you are, things happen.

The world is so crazy. Last night a young kid that we semi know, he was out drinking with his friends and he jumped out of a truck (we don't know why), and know he's in a coma. I have no clue why people do such dumb stuff. I am not talking about the jumping out of the truck, I am talking about the drinking.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
I can't afford to move to the burbs! But I am looking for a new place.

With that being said, the burbs aren't any safer really...! After the EU decided to pretty much open the borders in Europe, there have been a mass invasion of criminals from eastern Europe, Poland, former Yugoslavia, Gypsies and what not. And their specialty is home invasions. mostly in the more afluent neighbourhoods, but in middle class areas as well. The sad reality is, that these people have nothing to lose. if they get away with the robberies, they have money. And if they don't, they will still have it better in a Danish prison, than they would in the empoverished places they come from. Alot of these robberies end up with murder, when people struggle back. It is a sad reality.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a home invasion on an elderly couple about 5 years ago in my neighborhood. If I heard one more person who worked with me ask "What kind of neighborhood do you live in?" I was going to scream. The people asking that stupid question lived in low class neighborhoods or some in the ghetto. We live in an upper middle class to middle class neighborhood. But crime happens everywhere, which people seem to forget. That is why I check all my doors and the garage door before going to bed every night, and I keep the doors locked at all times anyway, unless we're coming in or out for something.
Posts: 2290 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
When I was younger- clear up to when I was in high school, we never locked our doors, the keys were in the car. The worst thing that ever happened, was someone stole my ten-speed. They caught them and they had to buy me a new bike.

Bad things use to happen when I was a kid, but it was rare- and it wasn't broadcasted everywhere.

I lived in Pittsburgh for over a year- after high school, and I use to go there all the time when I was a teenager-in the 80s, because I had a friend who went to Slippery Rock University, and I never was scared living there. I think when I was younger-I had never experienced crime-I never watched the news...the news wasn't horrible like it is now....and you didn't fear everyone and everything.

Jay Lee-I didn't realize where you even lived.

A friend of mine just got back from Europe. She said she would love to get married there but it is so expensive.

I sometimes watch House Hunters International, and I can't believe how expensive it is to live in other countries. It's like a million dollars for a 500 square foot apartment in some places-it's crazy. I always wonder what people do for jobs to afford to be there.

I thought that other countries had way stricker laws than we do, and that they will cut your hand off for stealing, so crime wasn't as bad.
I guess that is a misconception.

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think the only place they cut your hand off, for stealing is in Iran [Smile]

Denmark used to be a very good and safe place... it's not anymore... and the problem is, that the laws hasn't been changed accordingly. We have been accepting refugees and foreigners in this country, on a massive scale since the late 60's. Which isn't a bad thing in itself. The problem is, that the people who come here (mostly arabs,somalis and eastern europeans) have no education, and alot of them, don't wan't one, when they get here. They have no interest in danish cutlture or how things work here. They are bunched together in ghetto's (the goverments fault) and live by their own codes and cultural rules. But their kids are torn between two cultures, and make up about 50% of the national crime rate.

Now some people say that it's because some of them come from war torn countries and so on. But hey.... so does all the vietnamese that came here in the 70's, and all you ever hear or see of them, is them working their *** off, and being very well integrated.

I think when you pussyfoot around these subjects out of fear of being called a bigot or a racist, your just adding to the problems by not adressing them, and speaking in an open an honest fashion.
It might not be politically correct... but the truth rarely is!

I was born in one of the worst ghetto's in Denmark (arabs,asians,eastern euro's, very few white people)But it really wasn't all that bad back then, and I learned to get along with everybody, regardless of their ethnicity.
But because of the massive problems we have with crime and foreigners creating problems of all kinds today. I don't think like I use to. You really have to live here, to get a sense of what it is like.

It is not the Denmark I grew up in. The justice system is a joke, to the point where criminals come from other countries just to do dirt here. The new national police reform, is so dysfunctional and poorly planned, that the police don't come when you call anymore, they are busy doing paperwork, if your in the process of being killed, raped, robbed... it is just to bad, im not kidding. the education system is starting to crack, the economy is bad, high unemployment and no work and so on... so when I have the resources, Im moving far away... I have no love for this country anymore.

RANT OVER [Big Grin]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
My friend went to the funeral tonight of the 13 year old boy who was shot by his friend. He was shot in the chin. There is an investigation as to what exactly happened...but they were goofing around making a video for you tube, and they didn't know the gun was loaded. I never ever understand any of that...that's I guess how some kids think, I would never have thought to aim a gun at someone, even just playing around -when I was 13, and pull the trigger. Very sad stuff.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mentioned in an earlier post that in 1996 laws were passed banning guns from all but but registered farmers and gunclub members.
Since then the majority of gun deaths have been either suicides like a friend of mine, or accidental, and involving people or family members of people who ignored the gun amnesty, where they were able to exchange their guns for money.

Children have been killed playing with guns in households where guns were totally not necessary, and even more have been through suicide. Few murders have been committed using guns inthe past 13 years or so, apart from the gangland murders. I'd go so far as to say that the majority of gun deaths have been either self inflicted or by organised crime syndicates. The number of deaths by gun committed by "regular" members of the public have been dramatically reduced.

[ 21. January 2009, 00:18: Message edited by: Stitch Groover ]

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add some clarity to some of the earlier posts:

Crimes are commited in richer, more affluent areas, because that's where the good stuff to steal is. Nobody will break in and rob someone who has nothing worth stealing.

So all this talk about 'high crime areas' and 'why don't you move' is meaningless. If you move somewhere and take all your valuable, easily resellable goods with you - someone will try to rob you eventually, wherever you live.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home