iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » USA a safer place now then 20 years ago (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USA a safer place now then 20 years ago
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. don't the male deer go running around everywhere when it is rut season? And I mean everywhere and anywhere, to get to a female in heat- they will run across roads, highways, bridges etc. So that's all the hunters' fault?
Posts: 2290 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The crime rate in Pittsburgh has gone down, they said something on the news last week. But it doesn't seem that way. All of the druggies take each other out every day.
Posts: 2290 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they should outlaw deer? I think I'll write my representative about it. If people wouldn't drive though not nearly as many deer would be killed. Cars are evil manipulative weapons. It's not the drivers it's the cars lol.....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I have a friend who hunts as much as possible. He gets as many doe tags as he can. Today he and his friend got two doe, so they are taking them to the butcher and giving us one. I'll be having some steaks, and ground meat, etc. My friend has a freezer full of venison, they don't even buy beef anymore.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point wasn't what Glover played in the movie the point was he was in a movie with violence and shooting all throughout the movie yet believes in gun control. If someone wants to kill me bad enough having a gun may very well save my life. Where do you get it wouldn't? Hunting ISN'T all about the money a lot of people actually enjoy it and it's an individual's money on as far as the money they spend and third world country. What's next telling people what they can an cannot spend their money on? Ridiculous. My uncle was actually in a situation around 20 years ago where a gun saved someone else's life. He and a friend of his were on some land my uncle owned and had planned to shoot clays there later that day. My uncle was showing his friend the land he had purchased about a week beforehand as they also planned to hunt on it during hunting season. My uncle went into the cabin on the land to use the bath room while his friend was outside looking over the land examining possible tree stand options. Two men came out of the woods and approached my uncle's friend flashing knives demanding his money. My uncle noticed this through the window as he was getting ready to come back out. My uncle went out the back way and fired up into the air scaring both would be robbers off. So yes actually having a weapon probably saved his friend's life or at least from being robbed. Around a year later these two individuals were arrested for a string of robberies in and around the area as their pics showed up in the local paper. Being a great hunter doesn't make someone a great person but being able to respect each side's opinions without unconfirmed findings in a respectful manner does. That being said, what would you have done thrown a copy of Private School at them?

[ 06. January 2009, 18:22: Message edited by: MotleyRulz ]

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
It's ridiculous in itself to blame a gun and not the person.

IMO, that's exactly why gun bans are a good idea. In a society where everyone has the right to bear arms, it means that guns can legally end up in the hands of people who will misuse them.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And guns suddenly make tough guys out of normal people.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is - if you ban guns (or make them prohibitively difficult to obtain for people) this will make no difference at all to the criminal or homicidal elements in society. They will still get all the guns they need, simply because by definition they don't operate within the laws that govern the majority.

All the gun ban will do is to remove the option of self-defence to the potential victims of gun-crime.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Exactly Paul. Guns don't suddenly make tough guys out of normal people they allow citizens to defend themselves in times of need. Not everyone who has a gun has a Dirty Harry mentality. That's being pretty stereotypical. I don't understand your mentality Stitch as you neglect to mention the other 90% of society who actually hunt, protect themselves, and collect guns. What if you had a friend or knew someone who was on a painkiller such as Oxycontin (or any type of med for that matter) and the government decided to ban it because of a fraction of society abusing it? Oxycontin is used as an example because that's actually happening a lot around these parts.......
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's basically kill or be killed then? That's what you are saying? Typical high school student is tired of being picked on, so he explores his "options." Some of these types of guns these kids get their hands on should only be used by law enforcement or armed forces. Motley, are you a NRA member?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No - that's not what we said at all. If someone is feeling disaffected enough that going on a killing spre is even entering his head, then he'll find a way, and get a weapon. We have very strict gun laws here, but if I wanted one I could get one.

The point is - rather than 'kill or be killed', if a would be robber thinks that there's a risk to him if he attacks you, then there's a disincentive right there. And if you legislate that only bad guys have the guns, then guess what - there's no risk to the bad guys using those guns.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how anything that you can compare to a gun in this kind of scenario is even closely comparable. Oxycontin=Gun.....I don't think so.

Quit manufacturing guns. The sole purpose of a gun is to kill someone/something...so when people use them for what they are made for ...then why is that so shocking. There is no other purpose of a hand gun...than to kill with it- they are not legal for hunting.

Guns have been glorified in every video game and every new movie coming out- and every tv show- it is constant shooting and killing. Even in music videos. It's everywhere, and it is too much.

I knew alot of people at VA Tech when the shootings happened, we had a shooting at Penn State a few years ago too. If the person would NOT have had a gun...absolutely the people who were killed would still be alive...how can you think they wouldn't be?

My gosh just a little over a year ago, a man went in to an AMISH school and killed a group of Amish girls, with a GUN.

Anyone can get a gun around here, you can go buy one at Kmart. I see people selling them at flea markets.

Alot of people who have guns, get a misplaced sense of security with having one, and they panic all the time- they hear a noise in the middle of the night..and they shoot someone they know.

I personally know many people who have been killed during hunting season. 1 was my friend's father- shot his own brother while they were way out in the woods, and they were crawling up a hill, and one slipped, and the saftey wasn't on, and he shot his brother, he had to leave him laying there dying in the woods while he ran for help. He died.

Another friend of mine- her high school boyfriend was cleaning a gun, and some how it went of and shot and killed his 16 year old brother.

Another friend, her preacher's son found a gun in their home, and didn't know it was loaded, and shot and killed his 6 year old sister.

If the GUN hadn't been there in the first place. All three of those people would still be alive-no doubt about it.

I know exactly what the answer is to all of this stuff. Nobody cares about anything that doesn't have an effect on them directly. The whole thing with the shootings at any of these places, goes back to the people that did them...just like with Columbine- those boys were downloading stuff off the internet, they were building bombs, there were signs that were ignored in every single case like this, that could have prevented any of it from happening, but nobody ever wants to get involved.

The man that did the VA Tech stuff....there was so much about him that screamed that he was going to snap....nobody did anything. People like that need locked up. There are too many crazy people wandering the streets- that's the problem.

But, you add in the fact that they can get a gun anywhere they feel like it.

If you watch the news, it will depress you-according to them-nothing good ever happens, and every day if you watch it-someone is shot, someone is molested, someone is robbed- so I don't see a change in what's happening with the world. I don't see more positive news coming about.

At least I actually do things in my area to try and change it, and I don't just run my mouth about it, I actually leave the house and try and change things.

If I was confronted in a situation where someone was going to rob me- they can have any money I had-I am not risking my life for nothing- except my family. Money is nothing to risk your life over. Every situation is different, I wouldn't want to be in one like that....but knowing self defense is a better way of protecting yourself than with a gun.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

People like that need locked up. There are too many crazy people wandering the streets- that's the problem.

You can't lock people up because the general opinion is that they are 'crazy' - even if they wind up hurting people. Only once they have broken the law can you arrest and detain them. That's called Democracy, and that means that you have a lot of good things, and a lot of bad things, and trust that society makes more right choices than wrong. And that's still better than any alternative system of Government ever tried anywhere.

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If guns were legal here, I would most def have one! I have been cut in the face with a knife, beaten in my own doorway, crazy people banging on my door in the middle of the night and so on and so on.... it never ends!

Once a junkie tried to rob my house, I broke his nose and collarbone with my baseball bat, and guess what happened.... I WAS ARRESTED by the damn cops for assault..... how do you like them apples??!!

In Denmark, it's all about the offenders rights, not the victims. Due to some misguided "compassionate" politics, remnant from the ****ing 70's!

Here, white collar criminals get twice or three times the sentence as a pedophile or someone who beat someone else, within an inch of their life... go figure!

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
Exactly Paul. Guns don't suddenly make tough guys out of normal people they allow citizens to defend themselves in times of need. Not everyone who has a gun has a Dirty Harry mentality. That's being pretty stereotypical. I don't understand your mentality Stitch as you neglect to mention the other 90% of society who actually hunt, protect themselves, and collect guns. What if you had a friend or knew someone who was on a painkiller such as Oxycontin (or any type of med for that matter) and the government decided to ban it because of a fraction of society abusing it? Oxycontin is used as an example because that's actually happening a lot around these parts.......

Like I said in an earlier post, even though there is a gun ban here in Australia, legitimate users like farmers, registered hunters and members of gun clubs are permitted to own guns.

The gun ban here came into effect in 1996, after a mentally "not quite right" man named Martin Bryant legally purchased a number of automatic weapons, and went on to commit the largest massacre in Australian history. 35 people were killed at a tourist location in Port Arthur, Tasmania.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Oy, sorry to hear of your plight JayLee. Some sick people out there. I am sick of the hippy leftovers too. Those laws don't make any sense there in Denmark, maybe you guys need to vote in some new politians and change your laws.
EleanorJune
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have guns, carry a gun, know how to use a gun, collect guns, have cleaned my gun without shooting myself or anyone, have a toddler who has NEVER touched my gun, and have many gun safes. I have also never shot anyone with my gun, including animals for sport. My bullets typically only ever see a target!

I have taken classes, practice, and keep the safety always on!
I could go on and on, but I wont.

| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Hippy leftovers? Guess you weren't the Woodstock baby then? Oh, and by the way Wavy Gravy says hello. God, I remember a time when people were into archery......
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
God, I remember a time when people were into archery......

I loved archery in highschool! I was a great shot too.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

How can you not see the comparison? Both are dangerous (in the wrong hands) and can be gotten quite easily. Your remark about people panicking who have guns is beyond comprehension as well and many of us do actually leave the house with hopes of changing things rather than complaining all the time. That statement in itself is ironic in that it came from one of the biggest complainers around. If they quit manufacturing guns, I'll assume the armed forces will have to resort to archery, rocks, slingshots, catapults, and of the sort. Quite the amusing yet once again unbelievable statement. I can just see it now: "Police thwart armed robbery with big azz slingshot." Try doing some actual research and putting some thought into things before making off the wall, laughable statements. With that line of thinking, shouldn't you also ban kids from playing Guitar Hero since according to that point of view rock stars booze it up and do drugs? Isn't that a bad influence towards kids since none of them never get out and do anything anymore? [Big Grin]
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
If the Guitar Hero packages start containing powders and Jack Daniels, I'd say you got a valid argument there...... [Smile]
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People can go on and on all day long about how great guns are...I will never see that point of view.

Complainer? What do I complain about?

Violence is the number 1 thing I complain about, so how does me not liking violence make me the problem?

That is the number 1 thing on here that I have never understood about any of you people who act as if I am the bad person. I don't like killing animals, I don't like violent games, I don't like music with swear words in it, and I don't like movies that are geared towards children-that show people getting shot in the face- but because I say those things...because that's is what is happening on TV...in music and in games- I am the one with the problem? Right....I should become like everyone else and just go with flow and love it all...right? I don't think so.

If you want to read the real facts- they are out there:

http://life.familyeducation.com/school-safety-month/violence/29712.html

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

And again I have to step in......

Isis, even you must see you complain about a hell of a lot of stuff, but laying that one aside:

You are NOT the problem. However, the differences in attitude, and the apparent voicing of uninformed comment on BOTH sides of this debate is mbeginning to make the debate itself the problem.

Nobody is saying here (and I've looked) that you are a bad person. it's simply that most people don't get how someone can have the outlook on life that you have, given the things you say that you do and have experienced. Your character is so different to most other people on here, that you stand out in the things you post. and even you must admit that you bite way too easily when you percieve that someone's having a dig at you, when often they are challenging what you say, not who you are.

Please - and this goes to EVERYONE on the board - remember to flag issues you have with posts to the Moderators, using the Report Post link. Don't simply fly off and post articles against other members, cos they will be pulled. By all means debate, and offer contrary views to each other. Being different is a good thing. Just don't get personal, don't take anything personally, and if anyone upsets you, either report it, re-read it and check for the true meaning, or leave it alone. Don't respond in kind, because that does make you all the same - targets for the awesome powers of the Mighty Moderators...

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Mighty Morphin' Moderators?
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Hubby got a deer yesterday. Hey Motley-at first he wasn't going to shoot- he was just gonna say "freeze deer dude, I want you for my dinner table" but that didn't work. So now I've got some good deer meat in my freezer. I'm going to prepare some tomorrow in the slow cooker.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home