iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Hands off my 80's, is the revivalism tribute or exploitation? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hands off my 80's, is the revivalism tribute or exploitation?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly...I think it is neither. I think honestly it is a lack of originality, I think it is really super duper easy to make a pink telephone, and go...hmmm....there's a song called Pretty in Pink and that would work swell for our product, it was a hit, it still sounds pretty cool, we don't have to do 1 thing other that snag the song, slap it on our product, and we'll sell a billion of them. It definately leans more to the exploitive side, because it is all purely done for marketing purposes to make money...and the songs are great songs, and alot of kids don't know them...teens don't, and when they hear them, they think COOL, cause we all did, if it worked once, it will work again. If a song was a hit and was any good ..that millions of people bought the record for, then it doesn't really grow old, because people who never heard it before, are just hearing it like we did when it first came out, so they are going to like it like we did.
You can't take a million selling record, and not expect for people to not like it. Your odds are already in favor that they will.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using songs of yesterday is really nothing new, I remember back in the 80's there was a furore because a car company started using The Beatles "Drive my car" in an ad campaign, and a lot of people thought that was sacrelige.

I guess because the purpose of marketing and advertising is to strike a chord with the demographic being aimed at - and the major demographic is the 25-50 market. Which means that the younger reaches of the demographic were born in the early 80's meaning they were surrounded by 80's music during their formative years.
Naturally then, when advertisers use 80's music, it will strike a chord with these people, who think "Oh yeah, I remember that!"

Plus, a lot of the ad execs grew up during the 80's too.

So, to summarize, it's a bit of a tribute and a bit exploitation.

Glad I could make that as clear as mud!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I like everything about the 80's. And not just the movies & TV shows & toys & music...I also wear my hair like Wendy Melvoin did in the 80's.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, I don't think of it as exploitation. I think it's nice that people today actually care about the 80's...like you guys, for instance. [Smile]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Jabeen...I really don't mind them using the songs...I guess that my opinion is completely confusing...I like them using the songs, because I like them, I just don't think it takes any marketing ability or talent, and I think they use them out of laziness, but then again...whatever works is what they are going for, and the 80's are cool, there's no doubt about that, and the song helps sell the product.

I just think there's no originality to it. I did hate that they used Melt with You for Burger King...because it was so "cheesey", haha...but I liked hearing it on tv again, so I actually am really indifferent about the whole thing...because I really don't care too much, cause half the products they are marketing I don't use anyway.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I heard them using "Get it on, Bang a Gong", in a JCPenney commercial tonight.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Japanese Iron Chef starts with the commentators saying "Bang a gong, we are on!"
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen the commercial for the pink Razr phone. I was actually in my room doing my hair and had the tv on and heard "Pretty In Pink" come blaring out of the set. I did a 360 and was so psyched! I'm sorry, I would buy this phone. The color appeals to me and I'm confused as to why it wouldn't appeal to you guys...I mean we love the 80's and that's all you saw back then was pink and turquoise! What would be better, an ugly black phone? Nothing cool about that. I'm glad the song gets played in the commercial cause other than there, in my room or on Vh-1 Classics, I never get to hear music I enjoy!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jabeen for seeing my point [Smile] . It's just how I truly feel. I'm thrilled that music I loved almost 20 years ago is being played again. I think that's an awesome tribute and it says something about the art and time period. No one wants to relive a bad time, right or wrong? Everyone remembers that the 80's were special and that's why we're still seeing and hearing it today.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jabeen:
I agree with you cindy! Your attitude has been refreshing for me around here. It's nice to see someone positive. [Smile]

"...Well she is Cindy Mancini...

-You can't argue with that logic..."

[Wink]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I heard them singing "We go the Meat" in a Pa Pa John's commercial tonight. Don't tell me the Go Go's aren't still cool, I bet ya their songs are being used in more products now than anybody.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good thing because they probably need some money...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess I'm kinda mixed on the issue, but I can see both points.

It's very easy to be protective of the era you favor - no one wants to see something from their childhood/teenage/early adult life becoming distant or old. We've seen it before. In the actual '80s, there were Rolling Stones songs, and Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" being used in commercials, because the '60s teens were adults then. For better or worse, the same thing is happening now with the earlier '80s.

There's a part of me at times, when I see that, think to myself: What the h*ll? Something from when I was 5 years old is retro now. Before I know it, it'll be '90s stuff, then I'm gonna really start feeling old. Ewwww!!!

However, as much as that s*cks, I always try to look at the equal ways it could be positive as well. Let's say a 10-year old kid is watching one of these commercials and says to himself, Yo, this song is pretty cool. I'm gonna go online and download it, and you've got a new fan who may've never heard the song otherwise. [Smile]

[ 13. March 2006, 04:24: Message edited by: Marty McFly ]

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home