iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Hands off my 80's, is the revivalism tribute or exploitation? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hands off my 80's, is the revivalism tribute or exploitation?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, it seems everyone and their dog isn into 80's right now. From seeing car adds with the intro to Der Komissar and Devo songs selling Swifter products, to emo bands sporting A Flock of Seagulls haircuts, do you you get personal with this sort of thing, or do you think it goes out of it's way to celebrate more of the cheesy aspects of 80's culture? Is it simple flaterry to you? Or does it wreak of explotation to seel more stuff you don't need? Don't get me wrong, I know what you are thinking, the 80's were the glitzy, glossy, high octane, greedy to the max era of the me generation, what is he going on about? But what i want to know if you take it personal when they concentrate too mcuh of the bad aspects of the big bad 80's?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it totally personal, and think why the heck did you ruin "my" song on that stupid Burger King commercial.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I didn't write nor own any of the rights to the songs they are using I don't really take it personally. It's just business...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually have some thoughts on this, but I can't compose them all at once. Let me get back to you on this one.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a fact of life that trends come and go and that things that were perceived to belong to one era will be recycled as cool for another.

Why take it personally? Its like taking the need to breathe oxygen personally, there's nothing you can do about it except accept it as a fact of life...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnGeLEyeZ
Master Rewinder
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnGeLEyeZ   Email AnGeLEyeZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i actually loved walkin into hot topics and seeing my fave movie all over every-thing (TBC) [Smile]
i ended up buying a hardcover Breakfast Club notebook, all my memo's are in TBC style;)~

Posts: 192 | From: NJ JerzShoreBaby! | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I take personal is when I see these desinated 80's classics all over everywhere, stuff like Toni Basil's Mickey, M's pop Muzik, Devo's Whip it, I mean sure they are classics, but it's just such a small percentage of what 80's music was about. You know they are rehashing rehash that was rehashed!
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide, I haven't been back to Burger King since "Melt With You" was played for a double Whopper. So Sad!

Does anyone know the fat content of a double Whopper? [Razz]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The band would be just as bad as say Burger King for selling their music. You can't label one a sellout and the other as being innocent if your going that route...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley- you have a stick up your butt the size of a telephone pole..
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have such a way with words Isis, you know that.... [Roll Eyes]

Why is it that when people don't agree with your point of view you resort to insults..?

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to get involved in a disagreement, but I'm sick to fricking death of this between Isis and Motley!! Get over it, the both of you, for God's sake.

Motz - you pick up on anything Isis says and use it to bait her into an argument.

Isis - you need to realise that not everyone thinks life in the 00's stinks, that we know how you feel, and that we don't need to be bombarded with it in almost every damn thread.

Noms - I know you're enjoying the Isis/Motz battle but I've had it up to here! (I'm gesturing very high)

Now, for the sake of peace, I want you do pay attention, and do as I say -

Isis, look at me. Motz, look at me. Now Isis, look at Motz, Motz look at Isis. Noms, look at Isis, then look at Motz. Now all of you, look at me. I've got one word to say to you all -

"Let's all get some burgers and a litre of Coke!"

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Isis said: "Motley- you have a stick up your butt the size of a telephone pole.."

I'm really hurt by that Isis. [Roll Eyes] You really thought long and hard for that one didn't you? Don't be mad at me because alot of your fave 80's bands have sold out and resorted to selling their songs in a greedy attempt to make money.

And Stitch I never bait anyone for an argument. Since I seldom agree with Isis' opinion on things, I tell her that and it makes her mad when someone disagrees with her. So in effect, she baits herself....

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I hate to get involved, but Motley:

Bands themselves almost never sell anything to anyone --except the original signing over of their songs past & future (as well as their souls) to the record lablel/publisher.

Any burger joint could buy the rights to use just about any track without the band even being consulted. They just ask the publisher/record label "how much"...

So, it's the publishers & labels we should blame. Not the artists. I'm sure they are just as depressed about it as we are.. [Frown]

Isis, I can see your point. We all hate it when our formative years are represented in such a crass, commercial and disrespectful way, but we also have to be diplomatic to our fellow human beings and rewinders when they don't get that or, more importantly, don't care. Many of the people I grew up with in the 80s say they are glad to see the back of it. I don't get that attitude for one second, but hey, it's their life...

Anyways, all that aside, I believe the time is right for the mass media to be showin' the 80's some of that lovin' that all the other decades have been gettin'... All too often the 80s is painted as being the worst ever...

Wrong. The 80s was the last decade in which anyone dared to be anything out of the ordinary without a team of publicists and image makers being in control. Sure there were freaky characters and freaky colors everywhere, but better that than monotone uniformity and drab, polished, insincere political correctness...

-Just my $0.02

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only did MODERN ENGLISH sell out Melt With You to BURGER KING...they sold it out to RITZ crackers too!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a cheerful note though, every time my daughter (who was born in 1998) hears I Melt With You she gets excited and says "That's my song!" and starts to sing and dance.
I'm going to have to make sute they play that one at her wedding.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Nick...I totally respect anything you have to say. I am glad you feel the way you do about the 80's.

It took me awhile to remember I had even posted on this thread...I totally had forgotten what I even said...I just read it, and thought it was hysterical, I don't see why nobody else sees the humour in it, because that actually was me being diplomatic...if I actually would have said what I really was thinking, then I would be banned for life.

I don't understand what people are doing here, if they think 2006 is a better place to be than the 80's, I thought that was the whole point of being here. [Confused]

[ 03. March 2006, 21:08: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not here because I think the 80's are better than 2006. I'm here because I love the 80's and want to talk about it and remember it.

I like icecream more than I like chocolate, but that's not gonna stop me from walking into a chocolate shop, if you get my meaning.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Stitch- Just eat chocolate ice cream, and everything will be perfect in life then.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

I'd just like to say that while I do get heavily involved in arguments I never resort to insults!!!

Noms [Cool]

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Isis said
quote:
Stitch- Just eat chocolate ice cream, and everything will be perfect in life then.
Mmmm, it just about would be. [Big Grin] . You know, I really love chocolate icecream with lime jelly (jello to you guys).

I've been giving this some more thought, and you're right Isis...it's best to have a mix of chocolate and icecream. Just like it's best to have a mix of the 80's and life in the present. Just think - if we still lived in the 80's, we wouldn't be able to get together on the Rewind and talk about the 80's!

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Actually, I have a friend whose been in the recording industry for quite awhile. He says the bands still get kickbacks even if it's them whose not selling the songs. Some bands still have a say so over their material. I'm not trying to argue, but he's been in the business for about 15 years now...
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
CAN"T WE ALL JUST GET ALOOOOOONG???
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
See...I don't understand why anybody on here thinks that I don't like parts of my life today.
Or that I think everything about this time period is all bad.

I LOVE the fact that alot of my shows are now on DVD so I can watch them any time I want, that's a plus.

Actually I have liked every single day of my life, good or bad. The main thing I miss from the 80's are people, it really has never been about all the pop culture as much to me as it has to the rest of you, and I think that is why I cross the line with people, is because those are the things being discussed on this board, and while I love 80's music and movies so much more than today's stuff, that's not what I miss at all, because I have all those things still, I have every song and every movie and almost every tv show I ever watched in the 80's...I still have those things today-so how could I be sad about something I do not miss, I watch them all the time.

The things that I want to talk about are what it was like growing up then, how people got along better, how being a kid was fun, and the things we did...and I can't help it but that is what is missing in today's world, that makes it hard because you can't help but compare the 2, and alot of the people on here are too young to know what I am talking about, I want people to remember exactly what I did, and they didn't grow up with me, they didn't live my life, so they can't understand the feeling that I long for, because nobody lived what I lived. Valley, Cindy and Muffy they actually understand me outside of the Rewind more so than most, because they miss the same things too, Cindy and I talk about it all the time, and it is things that she'll say about how she lived, and it was like me, our families were very similiar..we can remember what it was like to not have air conditioning, and you had your doors all open and the windows open at night for fresh air, cause you didn't have to worry about someone breaking in your house.

I miss that....I miss feeling safe, I miss trusting people, I miss that if you had an arguement with your best friend, it was no biggie, you didn't loose a friend for life, I miss my family, and my grandparents, and having sunday dinners together, and the closeness of an extended family, alot of people never had that to begin with, so they don't get me, cause they didn't experience it to start out.

I miss foods and products that they no longer exist any more, I miss things you can never get back. It isn't that I think there aren't positive things to do with your life anymore.

My son's life is so different, he has been so many places already at 12 years old, and experienced things I never did, I never had left my state before I was 12 years old. I doubt I even went further than 2 hours from my home when I was that age. Your life then was your town, at least it was to me.

It wasn't that long ago either, that is what is so strange, is I can remember every step I took to get me to March 2006, and I don't remember where it changed. Except people start dying in your life, and with every person that leaves, it changes your life forever, and a piece of your past is gone, that is what I miss.

If anybody on here doesn't think that I get sick of ranting about stuff...I do, because I hate the stuff I am ranting about, I wish it would go away.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home