iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Best Year

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Year
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I am bias to the 91 show, maybe because Pee Wee was on in the beginning. Maybe because the bands rocked. I just remember REM winning every award.

Oh High School.

We are DEVO and that year might change.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Devo, I can agree with you on this. I think the 90, 91 and 92 shows stick out the most to me. Prince in those yellow pants, C+C Music Factory...crap like that is just hard to forget.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oreb
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5007

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Oreb   Email Oreb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man, c+c music factory, awesome
Posts: 55 | From: Croatia | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually met Zelma Davis of C+C at a small club show. She was so nice! Really pretty, very tiny and man could she sing. I know Martha Wash did most of the vocals on the cd but I heard Zelma sing right in front of my face and she can pipe!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for firefox   Email firefox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic: Best Year

Definitely 1987,DM/OMD/Breathe/Cure/AHa/Erasure/Pet Shop Boys/Johnny Hates Jazz/Rick Astley/Information Society/New Order...too many to mention.If I have a time machine, I'll definitely go back to this date.I love the way these artist sing,compose & dress-up. Everyone shows their own interpretation/individuality which is why it became an interesting era. Not like today they're all the same, its either their Abs or biceps for men and 'the lesser outfit the better' for women. Where's the imagination in there??? That's why they can't capture the magic.

Posts: 29 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed 100% on 1987 (and early '88). Must admit I'm heavily biased since it was the first year I got into Pop, but even at age 10/11, I could sense that this was a phenomenal era with sheer quality and strength in depth across the Top 20, practically every week!

Some more I'll add to your list firefox:
Whitney Houston / Terence Trent D'Arby / John Farnham / Communards / Wet Wet Wet / Black / Bananarama / Heart / Kiss / Whitesnake / Jan Hammer / Billy Idol / T'Pau / Belinda Carlisle / Proclaimers / Pogues / George Michael / Tiffany / Debbie Gibson / Aswad / Climie Fisher / Morrissey / Eighth Wonder

Makes me melancholy just thinking about it, as with each passing year, I'm more and more certain it'll never be this good ever again :-((

PS. You hit the nail right on the head about today's generation seemingly having no desire to establish individuality or to use their imaginations. Maybe there's just *that* little distinctive talent around, or (more likely) everything that could be done has been, but it's still shocking how bland the current artists are in comparison to the Class of '87.

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for firefox   Email firefox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to found out I'm not the only one who find these years as the BEST YEAR.I believe Hordak we're on the same WAVE. It's just unfortunate we're still too young to enjoy years 87'& 88', but then again at least we're there.

You're absolutely right,IT'LL NEVER BE THIS GOOD EVER AGAIN.

Posts: 29 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers firefox, yes we very probably are on the same wave as you say. Only, I for one wasn't too young to fully experience these years; on the contrary... 1987 through '89 were to this day by far the most vivid for me pop-culturally, even as a pre-teen.

My at-the-time reading of that era:

IMO, there was a minor sea-change in around summer '88 when tunes like Timelords and Yazz made the top (UK), but even so, mid '88-early '89 was still very strong musically; almost as good as '87/8. But when groups like Happy Mondays/Stone Roses etc. made it big in the latter half of '89 (not to mention the dreadful NKOTB), that was when I started to tune out. Now, I know a lot of people loved that 'Madchester' stuff, particularly in the UK, but, I'm sorry, for me the songs just weren't as melodic or well-produced as those of the REAL Late Eighties generation from a year or two earlier. A gut instinct I had at the time, and still feel today. That, as we know, was effectively the start of the '90s, and things would never be the same...

So then, my 'wavelength' is predominantly '87 through '89, but especially '87/8 :-)

What an incredible year!

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LONNIE
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3934

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for LONNIE   Email LONNIE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1984 was the best with Van Halen Def Leppard "Pyromania" still from '83 and Brian Adams Reckless. Plus we had a book by Orwell. I am biased to year i graduated from high school. Also Purple Rain and of course The Boss Born in the U.S.A.
Posts: 91 | From: ohio | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home