iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 40)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 40 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Secret of my Success (1987)
 -

I'm sure nearly everyone here has to have seen this one at least once. So I don't really need to delve too much into it. I haven't watched this one in quite awhile and noticed it was playing late last night, so I decided to give it a watch again. Being a romantic comedy it's not my cup of tea generally. But, this one just has enough humor over the romantical crap to keep me entertained. I still especially get a good laugh out of Margaret Whitton's role as the horny, MILFy Aunt Vera. Easily one of the best character in the movie IMO. Anyway, what do you all think of this one?

[ 31. March 2019, 10:55: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1793 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Secret of My Succes is a good 80s film you can rewatch multiple times and have some fun with the characters. I also enjoy the soundtrack very much.
Posts: 7494 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pghgirl
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37571

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pghgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved The Secret of My Success, and yes, Aunt Vera was hilarious!
Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Secret Of My Success count me as a fan it's a great film!

-

Let's Get Harry an enjoyable 1986 action adventure featuring a very solid cast - Robert Duvall,Gary Busey,Glenn Frey,Mark Harmon etc,some well staged action scenes and a cool,catchy theme https://youtu.be/rDFRjcb6mkE from Brad Fiedel this is quite gripping at times despite its implausible plot which has a gang of plumbers going down to Columbia to spring kidnapped Mark Harmon from a group of well armed drug dealers! 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/eysYg_2ybxk - Let's Get Harry (1986) trailer.

Skin Deep I hadn't watched in years and whilst not consistently hilarious had some really funny moments plus an excellent performance from the late John Ritter (Problem Child,Stay Tuned) and i really dig the main title music track Falling Out Of Love https://youtu.be/H3EaJO98fj4 by Ivan Neville which plays many times throughout!

Definitely fun and one of directors Blake Edwards better 80s efforts! 7/10.

https://youtu.be/TBTMP1s32E0 - Skin Deep (1989) trailer.

-

[ 21. March 2019, 07:43: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3590 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

15 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Secret of my Success. Especially the mailroom characters. The boss referring to Brantley as a college puke and the guy who trained Brantley being all serious about not consorting with the suits. My only dissappointment was Helen Slater being all homely looking. They erased her beauty in this film which I felt was an injustice to her fans.

Haven't rewatched Skin Deep since it's release in the theater. I thought it was hilarious especially the glow in the dark "glove". Also when Ritter loses control of his body.

Posts: 1627 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 15  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let´s Get Harry is cool and damn that glow in the dark "thing" is fun in Skin Deep. Just watched another Blake Edwards film...
Posts: 7494 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

S.O.B. (1981)

"A movie producer who made a huge flop tries to salvage his career by revamping his film as an erotic production, where its family-friendly star takes her top off." (IMDb)

This was a bit uneven comedy with ensemble cast written and directed by Blake Edwards.
I loved the first 45 mins, fun characters doing crazy things but after that the real madness begins and the final part is just too downbeat.

Awesome to see all the familiar faces though and Julie Andrews really takes her top off [Wink]

Jonny Foy
Rewind Curious
Member # 37366

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jonny Foy   Email Jonny Foy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite 80's movies - watched multiple times.
Posts: 10 | From: Kent UK | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirra547
Rewind Curious
Member # 37713

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kirra547         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the Future. I reviewed it for a million times.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Success aka The American Success Company (1980)

"A husband is humiliated at home and at work. He decides he has had enough of it and hires a prostitute to help him get back at his boss, wife and friends and get a lot richer in the process." (IMDb)

Success was written by Larry Cohen (RIP) and directed by William Richert, a low-budget film shot in Germany.
It´s a comedy of sorts but not funny enough. Jeff Bridges, pretty Belinda Bauer, Ned Beatty and Bianca Jagger give solid performances though.

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll never forget first seeing Skin Deep as a 9 (almost 10) year old in the theater when it came out. The looks and comments those movie theater employees gave my parents when they said they wanted a ticket for me to see the movie too was priceless. Lol. Now, of course being that young I was a bit too young to understand most of the movie. But when I grow'd up a little and saw it again, it was pretty damn funny. Good big screen performance by the late great John Ritter.
Posts: 1793 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beaches (1988)
48 Hrs. (1982)
The Running Man (1987)

Posts: 3964 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Perfect Srangers aka Blind Alley (1984)

"A hit-man tries to seduce the mother of a child who witnessed his most recent kill." (IMDb)

Pretty bland low-budget thriller written and directed by Larry Cohen.
The subject is quite daring of course (3 year old kid facing a killer) but nothing much happens and the film features pretty unknown cast.
On the other hand there´s lots of cool early 80s New York scenery here.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Aviator (1985)

"A 1920s mail pilot and a rich man's daughter crash-land on a mountain full of hungry wolves." (IMDb)

The Aviator is a flawed adventure drama which has it´s moments though. Chris Reeve fly´s the plane by himself which was a big bonus and the wolves are pretty scary.
On the other hand, Rosanna Arquette´s character is very annoying and the dialogue gave me a headache.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own both of the above Atomik and I think neither is not bad but prefer Larry Cohen's Special Effects which he directed the same year (84) to his Perfect Strangers or Blind Alley as it was released here to VHS/Beta as.

The Aviator is fairly enjoyable also but i agree it certainly has its faults and Rossana Arquette who normally I really dig was annoying as hell and I was sort of hoping her character would become Wolf food!

Posts: 3590 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37591

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
 -

Deadly Embrace (1989)

This was a very, very bad low-budget erotic thriller directed by David Decoteau.
Starring Jan-Michael Vincent in a 2 dollar role with Mindi Miller, Linnea Quigley and Michelle Bauer who take their clothes off.
Cheap crap [Big Grin]

Erm.... with that review I have to get a copy of this now! [Smile]
Posts: 16 | From: On a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless | Registered: Jan 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Been many years since I last watched this 1989 comedy and I enjoyed it immensely and it probably no doubt helps that I'm a fan of both leads who I thought worked together terrifically here plus it features a decent supporting cast of which you will recognise many a face with one in particular being a blink and you'll miss him appearance by a young Brad Pitt.

For the first 40 minutes or so while I was watching this I was actually wondering to myself why on earth did the British censors hit this with a 15 certificate but come last half hour you do get the odd F Bomb or two plus there's a bit of male nudity so there was my answer!

So overall an enjoyable fun 90 minutes or so and like I was saying if you do like both of the leads like myself then it's even more worthy of your time! 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/nySsXF-rcEM - Happy Together (1989) trailer.

-

A couple of others I have watched lately -

Deadly Pursuit aka Shoot To Kill (1988) - awesome fast paced thriller with a really menacing baddy in the Highlander's Clancy Brown and a great buddy pairing of Sidney Poitier and Tom Berenger. 8/10

The Dream Team (1989) likeable comedy with Michael Keaton,Christopher Lloyld,Stephen Furst and Peter Boyle as 4 mental patients on a day out from there asylum going to watch a ball game. Some good laughs throughout from this excellent cast which also includes the Warriors James Remar as a crooked cop! 7.5/10

[ 21. April 2019, 11:55: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

TheHoff
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37591

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was sorting through my VHS collection and found Phar Lap, story of a underdog or underhorse that rose to fame against all the odds, I won't say anymore apart from be careful it's a tear jerker [Smile]

-

Posts: 16 | From: On a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless | Registered: Jan 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I need to rewatch Happy Together at some point and also own Phar Lap which i´ve never seen.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched The Last Temptation of Christ (1988).

Still good stuff while the impact wasn´t quite as strong as back in the day.
The movie includes a cool cast and excellent score from Peter Gabriel.

Many people were against the release and i remember folks collecting names to ban the film which was ridiculous because nobody had even seen it.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I haven't watched Phar Lap in many,many years but do remember it being a really well made movie, another Aussie Classic featuring horses but a lot different themed for any one who hasn't seen it is The Lighthorsemen that's a really great movie!

Happy Together is well worth a rewatch Atomik and I need to rewatch Phar Lap again at some point but it's one I'd have to track down as I do not own it!

This topic comprises 40 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home