iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 38)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just got back from watching on the big screen John Carpenter's They Live which is playing for one showing only at my local multiplex and it was a really awesome experience getting to watch it up on the big screen!

The showing was quite packed and the majority of the audience to my eye looked liked they age ranged between 30-60 and there was no chatter throughout which made for a more pleasant experience with everyone I believe just glued to the screen!

Next week on Thursday for one screening only is John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness which I would love to check out!

https://youtu.be/tu1s5UNK3zg - John Carpenter restored in 4k - in cinemas this Autumn trailer.

Posts: 3516 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I was a bit apprehensive about this one due to the reviews I could remember for it back in the day but this turned out to be quite an enjoyable Neanderthal adventure with some truly stunning British Columbia scenery and a really good Alan Silvestri music score!

Under all the hair and makeup it took me a while to work out James Remar's character and I didn't even realise that Revenge Of The Nerd's Curtis Armstrong (Booger) was in it till after I had actually watched the film and noticed his name in the credits.

Daryl Hannah was decent and I did recognise who played the younger version of her character and that was the pretty Nicole Eggert though she was only really here for a brief amount of time!

Not bad and a lot more entertaining than what I was expecting! 7/10

https://youtu.be/HkJ4kB07ZNs - The Clan Of The Cavebear (1986) trailer.

https://youtu.be/lo1MJSeEptA - Main Title music score by Alan Silvestri from The Clan Of The Cavebear.

Posts: 3516 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Warrior, those retro nights at the movies are pretty cool. All of them in my neck of the woods are just the classic, well known stuff like Christmas Vacation, Goonies, Grease, Sound of Music or popular series like Harry Potter and Lord of rthe Rings. I would not put They Live in the same catergory but I consider it very cool that they played it at the big screen in 2018. What other old flicks have they been playing in your area? Also, do you guys have assigned seating over there. Assigned seating is rare here, it is first come first serve.
Posts: 1605 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Here's a list of what's playing over the next month Terd and there's some great ones
there - https://myvue.com/big-screen-events/classics

You can book in advance for a fee but I always just take a chance and just pray to God it's not too busy on the day!

I originally watched The Goonies in the theatres back in 85 and would love to see it on the big screen again also Christmas Vacation would be awesome to view at the flicks as well!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres some info on THEY LIVE

Release Date: 4 November 1988 (USA) See more »
Also Known As: John Carpenter's They Live See more »
Filming Locations: Downtown, Los Angeles, California, USA See more »

Box Office
Budget:$4,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend USA: $4,827,000, 6 November 1988, Wide Release
Gross USA: $13,008,928

Heck yeah on DIE HARD! You gonna go see that one Warrior?
Release Date: 20 July 1988 (USA) See more »
Also Known As: Duro de matar See more »
Filming Locations: Los Angeles International Airport - 1 World Way, Los Angeles, California, USA
Box Office
Budget:$28,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend USA: $601,851, 17 July 1988, Limited Release
Gross USA: $83,008,852
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $140,767,956.

I remember seeing this at the movies like it was yesterday. Loved it then and it is still in my TOP 5.

Let us know how Prince of Darkness goes.

Posts: 1605 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Peterson
Rewinder
Member # 37560

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ray Peterson   Email Ray Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Breakfast Club

What a joy. I have of course seen it many times, but this was the first watch in a couple of years for me. It just never gets old. Never loses it's charm, heart or brilliance.
I love this film.
And John Hughes.

Posts: 31 | From: The Burbs | Registered: Jul 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Ray, that one is a gem. An all time classic.
Posts: 675 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Stand and Deliver (1988)

"The story of Jaime Escalante, a high school teacher who successfully inspired his dropout prone students to learn calculus."

Tagline: "In 1982, a new troublemaker hit Garfield High. He was tough. He was wild. He was willing to fight. He was the new math teacher."

This was a great drama based on a true story starring Edward James Olmos and Lou Diamond Phillips, the whole cast did a very good job.
Cool East L.A. scenery, fantastic dialogue and characters, cool Graig Safan theme tune and Mr. Mister end credits song. Loved it!

Posts: 7364 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Ray Trueblood, member of a street gang, is framed by an enemy of a rival gang, Billy "Spider" Masters. Ray is accused of killing a cop and he has to escape leaving behind his little brother, Donny. Ten years later Ray returns to his neighborhood to take his brother with him, but things are worse than he could expect: his brother, now 18 years old, hates him and is a member of Billy Masters' gang. Furthermore, Billy Masters is looking for revenge and... the police are still after Ray for the murder of the police officer. - from IMDb

Halfway decent thriller with a rather solid cast including two personal faves Jeff Fahey (who was awesome in Body Parts and Psycho 3) plus the beautiful Sherilyn Fenn (Three Of Hearts) this I'd say was quite an entertaining flick for the majority of it's running time though i do feel that the last 20 minutes could have done with some tightening up as it did seem to drag on a bit and also Billy Drago who plays the main villain here had some really terrible lines at times!

The UK DVD from budget distributor Pegasus Entertainment is Full Screen and of atrocious quality with it obviously being a VHS to DVD rip with some very noticeable tracking issues throughout so that took away from the viewing experience though it's nowhere near the very worst DVD I have ever experienced as that award goes to the UK release of the Charles Bronson,Anthony Perkins thriller Someone Behind The Door which was that dark and murky throughout i couldn't actually work out what the hell was going on and gave up with it about Twenty minutes in!

Also stars Ken Foree and Chad Lowe who here certainly resembles his more famous elder brother!

Worth a watch despite the abysmal picture quality of the DVD 6/10.

https://youtu.be/P8-4G7X_u8M - True Blood (1989) trailer.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
State Park aka Heavy Metal Summer (1988)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100684/

Another Rafal Zielinski T&A comedy, not one of his best but has it´s moments.
Starring James Wilder, Kim Myers (Elm Street 2), Isabelle Mejias (Meatballs III, Scanners II) and Jennifer Inch.

Posts: 7364 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the awesome Legend Of Billie Jean with Helen Slater,Christian Slater which is one film I have always loved from my very first viewing back upon its release in 85 and then on through the countless viewings since as i think it's just such a fun movie with an absolute fab soundtrack and that perfect summertime feeling and for me it's a definite 80s classic that I could just watch over and over again!

As for the Blu Ray this Mill Creek budget release might not have HD lossless Audio but the standard stereo track that is here still sounds pretty strong with both the dialogue plus the music always sounding perfectly clear,picture quality as well was excellent and I"d say noticeably improved over the old DVD.

If you are fan and at the cheap price it is retailing at (4-5 UK pounds) i'd say go for it it's an absolute steal! 8.5/10

Pulse I hadn't seen for a few years and it had a slower build up than what I could remember but it's got atmosphere in spades and some really cool electrical effects and don't get put off by the PG-13 rating (it was bizarrely rated 18 here in the UK) as it's pretty tense viewing at times and the scene where pretty Roxanne Hart takes a steaming shower and ends up with second degree burns all over her body is enough to make anyone cringe!

A great watch this with a really good edge of the seat finale this budget Mill Creek release again is certainly the way to go as I thought the picture quality was pretty top notch here plus also the audio which this time unlike Billie Jean was in Lossless HD Stereo sounded terrific and made this film even more atmospheric than what it already was! 7.5/10

-

https://youtu.be/FTyHPlRVTPI - The Legend Of Billie Jean (1985) - TV spot.

https://youtu.be/tVJzwG4Ee4c - Pulse (1988) trailer.

One last thing both releases are Region Free so will play with no problems Worldwide.

[ 19. November 2018, 09:23: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steel Magnolias (1989) (rewatch)
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) (rewatch)
The Pick-Up Artist (1987)
The Lost Boys (1987) (rewatch)
Moonstruck (1987) (rewatch)
Witness (1985)
Shakedown (1988)
F/X (1986)
Streets of Fire (1984) (rewatch)

Posts: 3880 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

This 1985 South American set medical comedy was a lot more likeable + amusing than what I had remembered it being with a decent cast of familiar comedy faces including Steve Guttenberg,Curtis Armstrong (Booger from Revenge Of The Nerd's), Airplanes Julie Hagerty and the terrific Alan Arkin and whilst it's not a complete laugh riot it's still pretty amusing at times especially when they steal the cadaver and dress it up a-la Weekend At Bernie's plus also the scene when Guttenberg's father suddenly falls ill and has to have an emergency op performed on him by his son and his medical companions then comes to realize that one of them actually helping out is infact a local witch doctor!

Fun stuff with a good comedy cast and a different setting to the norm! 7/10

https://youtu.be/BpC5utAr2ZM Bad Medicine (1985) TV trailer.

[ 15. December 2018, 11:06: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home