iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 33)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, sounds interesting. I own the vhs tape so i need to check out Kandyland!

-

Watched Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984)

Everyone knows how the story goes and overall this is pretty good film.
Good job from Christopher Lambert in his first english language film, Rick Baker´s team created the apes and you gotta love those Korup national park (Cameroon) landscapes.

Posts: 7207 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love how great screenwriter Robert Towne used the pseudonym "P.H. Vazak," the name of his dog, as his credit on Greystoke because he got into some tussle with the producers. And then the screenplay, co-credited to the dog, gets nominated for an Academy Award. Too funny!
Posts: 2103 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also known as the film where Andie MacDowell's voice got dubbed by Glenn Close because of the former's southern accent, and Ralph Richardson's last major film role as he was posthumously nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar.
Posts: 3767 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched Beyond the Seventh Door (1987)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321432/

This is obscure but interesting canadian low-budget mystery film and the star Lazar Rockwood sure is one of a kind fella [Big Grin]
The Intervision/Severin disc includes fun extras, awesome to see Lazar and director B. D. Benedikt do their stuff [Big Grin]

Posts: 7207 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched The Punisher (1989) which is still a good movie.

Pluses: Director Mark Goldblatt´s style, Dolph Lundgren as Frank Castle, the sleaziness, the violence and the final battle.

Minuses: Boaz Yakin´s script, Louis Gossett´s female partner, the kids and why no skull shirt?

Overall, not a perfect movie but still best The Punisher film.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great action pic Atomik and I agree definitely the best take on the Punisher so far!

-

Could barely remember anything from this Christopher Reeve flick from watching it back in the day but it's a solid,sometimes seedy thriller with some really great performances and whilst I like Christopher Reeve he did seem a bit bland here at times though I'm not so sure that was the case and it was more to do with the fact that everyone around him raised there game and put in such terrific performances especially Morgan Freeman who I can't ever recollect playing such a lowlife scumbag as this!

Actually thinking about this movie I did really enjoy it though some of it come across as being a bit improbable at times,did think the ending was great and a very fitting outcome for what were two rather despicable characters!

Great 80s New York,Montreal location shooting also and I'd forgotten that the attractive and talented actress Mimi Rogers turns up as Reeves Wife here.

Good stuff with some first rate acting on display from Morgan Freeman this is a very decent and underated thriller! 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/CBP4TjE5U8Q - Street Smart trailer (1987).

Posts: 3421 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Morgan Freeman got his first Oscar nomination for Street Smart. I thought that he was excellent as a scuzzy pimp. He's really scary when he threatens Kathy Baker.

It's not a perfect film by any means, but it's a good, memorable one.

Posts: 2103 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I thought Freeman was excellent Crash,I don't know what it is with Christopher Reeve I liked the guy but sometimes his performances seemed to come across as a bit lazy as if slightly disinterested I don't know if it's his style of acting or something though I thought he was generally ok here though next to Freeman's character I suppose anyone's going to end up looking slightly wooden!
Posts: 3421 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Reeve was just like that, was he disinterested or just so damn cool, i don´t know [Smile]
Or maybe he was just shy, who knows...

Street Smart is a solid film, you can´t see Kathy Bates play a street girl very often [Smile]

Watched this german summer comedy called Three Crazy Jerks (1987)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094395/

"3 chaotic unlucky fellows will try anything to get the money together for a baby of which any of them could be the father."

What a dumb and unfunny film starring bunch of germans, Dey Young and Michael Winslow.
They even made a sequel so at least the germans must´ve liked it [Roll Eyes]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thief (1981) starring James Caan and Tuesday Weld and Robert Prosky. A safecracker agrees to do a job for the mob before retiring, but things don't go as planned. Screenplay written and directed by Michael Mann. Kind of slow paced, and it seemed to have that 1970's hangover feel, with the pace, atmosphere and wardrobe. I think this was Michael Mann's first feature film. It was alright, worth a watch.
Posts: 2031 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched Elm Street 4 The Dream Master for the first time in a while and it's a really fun stylish entry in the long running series,the scares are now all gone with Freddy nothing like the sinister character from the original but the effects work is first rate and it moves at a cracking pace and is at times seriously gorgeous to look at!

Love the soundtrack as well and performance wise everyone's pretty solid and I especially liked Lisa Wilcox who takes the lead of Alice who appears in the following chapter The Dream Child which I'm going to revisit next!

Superbly directed by Finnish director Renny Harlin who I believe I read landed the job of helming this fourth installment from his solid work on the prior year's hit horror Prison which was made in 1987.

So yeah in my opinion a pretty awesome sequel which comes on a terrific looking Blu Ray as picture quality here is a definite upgrade over any previous DVD releases which in themselves looked none too shabby! 8/10

https://youtu.be/jc-9vF9F_eg - A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master trailer (1988/.

https://youtu.be/9UjNxFF9e9s - Alice (Lisa Wilcox) getting tooled up and ready to take on Freddy!

https://youtu.be/jmJiPqUjwEU - Anything,Anything by Dramarama from the soundtrack of A Nightmare On Elm Street 4 The Dream Master

-
(Above) the UK Vhs/Beta cover artwork for Hellhole from MGM/UA.

Also watched the Women's asylum flick - Hellhole (1985) which is one crazy movie,loaded with sleaze and some really dislikeable characters it's an interesting watch and to a degree very entertaining though it certainly won't be to all tastes that's a fact!

Judy Landers looks great and Mary Woronov turns in a fun performance as a nutty lesbian scientist along with the late great Ray Sharkey and Maniac Cop's Robert Z'Dar it's a fun,sleazy Horror/Thriller with a great looking Blu Ray from US distributor Scream Factory 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/NTV2ErDXWh0 - Hellhole trailer (1985)

[ 05. April 2018, 10:02: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Rather enjoyable 1985 Disney adventure with a likeable performance from the at the time 15 year old Meredith Salanger (The Kiss) and a 19 year old fresh faced John Cusack who I think looks even younger here than he did in the same years The Sure Thing and Better Off Dead.

Prior to watching I looked through some reviews and it was often mentioned that it's a lot darker, more gritty movie than most Disney adventures and they have a good point as you have situations here like when Meredith Salanger's young character is being preyed upon by a perverted old man who picks her up in his truck to which she luckily escapes and the dog/wolf fight for which I'd imagine most youngsters would probably find slightly unsettling!

-

(Above) Meredith Salanger,Jed the wolf and John Cusack in 1985's - The Journey Of Natty Gann.

Really stunning scenery here as well with British Columbia standing in for certain parts of the U.S and some awesome looking vintage locomotives this was like I mentioned a really enjoyable family adventure and I don't know how it performed at the box office back in the day but it has sort of gone into obscurity over the years especially in its native homeland the U.S where it was given a pan and release http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=8819 by Buena Vista which does great disservice to the stunning cinematography!

Luckily this U.K dvd is wide-screen and a nice looking print,anyhow enjoyable stuff and comes highly recommended. 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/leaqKfAB12o - The Journey Of Natty Gann (1985) trailer.

Quick mention -

A Nightmare On Elm Street 5 - The Dream Child

Better than how I remembered Elm Street sequel which despite some good ideas and great effects pales slightly in comparison to earlier entries in the series.

As much as I like some of directors Steven Hopkins work especially Judgement Night I wonder if he was the right man for the job,don't get me wrong he does an ok job directing here and Krueger does look and act more sinister than he did in the previous outing The Dream Master but I found that entry which was directed by Renny Harlin to be so much more lively, stylish and entertaining than this instalment.

Still not bad and certainly watchable and it was great to see the talented Lisa Wilcox return as the main lead character Alice plus there's some outstanding effects work throughout! 6/10

A Nightmare On Elm Street part 5 (1989) trailer.

[ 08. April 2018, 17:01: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thief is a classic and i really like Hellhole and The Journey of Natty Gann. Elm Street 4 and 5 = entertaining but not great.

-

A Breed Apart (1984)

Interesting cast in this one but sadly not a very good film.
There were serious problems during the production (one film reel missing) and Philippe Mora (Howling II etc.) lacks a thing called finesse [Wink]
Check out the blu-ray though (out this summer) if you enjoy the cast.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
War Party with Kevin Dillon , billy worth and that guy who told Ned Beatty to squeal like a pig. Not the best flick but does bring back some 80s memories
Posts: 1560 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L.A. Guns Love, peace & Geese. I loved this! About an hour long. The lead singer does the narrating in a small aircraft above L.A. and offers some tidbits about the songs in between videos. I had no idea he was European.. included are the videos
rip and tear
Malaria
What happened to Jane
Never enough
And I wanna be your man.

Posts: 1560 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Seven Magnificent Gladiators (1983)

This is italian The Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven rip off directed by Bruno Mattei and set in Ancient Rome.
The films stars Lou Ferrigno, Lou´s wife Carla Ferrigno, Sybil Danning and lots of popular peplum actors.

It´s a pretty clumsy low budget Cannon Group film but has it´s moments.

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wicked City ((妖獣都市 Yōjū Toshi, lit. "Supernatural Beast City") (1987)

-

Haven't seen this one in a long while but I still enjoyed it. It's a good Japanese anime horror film with plenty of good visual eye candy thrown in. Add in a good handful of nudity and gore; and I think you might be able to guess that this one definitely is not suitable for the kiddies to watch. Although the first time I saw this I was around 13-14 years old. This was actually one of the first Japanese anime/manga movies of the more grown-up persuasion I ever saw.

[ 15. April 2018, 14:32: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1766 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Blind buy for me this 1986 women in prison flick from Cannon Pictures and despite a cast of unknowns though the odd face looked familiar it turned out to be pretty entertaining watch!

Follows the usual formula what with plenty of skin drugs and violence and not forgetting the corrupt lesbian warden but it's quite well shot and generally speaking the acting is of a fairly decent standard!

Also the finale here is quite an exciting one what with the prison going into complete chaos with prisoners running amok plus a final showdown between the two main characters (pictured above on the cover) which again was rather well staged and I must say overall this was definitely a fun watch and rating wise I'd give it a 7.5/10

https://youtu.be/zPwMWEp-kro - The Naked Cage (1986) trailer.

Also watched the Canadian sex comedy Recruits which was also from 1986 and I hadn't visited this in years actually I think it was 87/88 at a wild guess so we are talking some time and on re-watching this it was a lot funnier than how I had remembered,the humour is completely idiotic much like the directors Rafael Zielinski's Screwballs series but it always manages to tickle my funny bone!

Lolita Davidovitch turns up here and looks stunning and even does a topless scene plus there's a couple of cast members from Screwball's including the funny Mike MacDonald (Principal Arsenault from Loose Screws) who sadly passed away last month aged 63 (R.I.P).

So yeah a really a fun watch and one that is in desperate need of a Blu Ray/Dvd release.

Sadly I can't find a trailer for this anywhere online so here's some (though not very clear) UK artwork someone has posted for it below plus a link
https://youtu.be/zJ6isUDUdM8 to the full movie on YouTube which is where I had to watch it as it's quite hard to come about! 7.5/10.

-

[ 15. April 2018, 23:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
War Party with Kevin Dillon , billy worth and that guy who told Ned Beatty to squeal like a pig. Not the best flick but does bring back some 80s memories

I think it's a pretty decent watch Terd and i've always liked Kevin Dillon who I thought was awesome in 1988's The Blob.

Here's the artwork to my UK Vhs below -

-

Never seen A Breed Apart Atomik but would like to check it out as the cast is pretty great though I have heard mixed things about it and that cover for Wicked City looks cool as well Pyro!

[ 15. April 2018, 23:37: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wicked City, War Party and Recruits = All good stuff.
Very sad to hear about Mike MacDonald, he was great in Oddballs, Recruits and Loose Screws.

Would love to see/get The Naked Cage, too bad that the blu is region A locked.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Never seen Oddballs so they need to check that one out,yeah all this region locking of films is a pain for movie collectors who don't own multi region players but I'd imagine the fact that there's a HD Master of The Naked Cage in circulation someone will one day and hopefully soon pick it up for distribution in region B territories.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Final Score (1986)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280671/

"Richard Brown, a decorated Vietnam War veteran now living in Indonesia, discovers that gunmen invaded his home, murdered his son, Bobby, (preparing to celebrate his 8th birthday), and gang-raped and murdered his wife, Florinda.
Vowing revenge, he begins to track down the culprits, learning in the process that they're in the employ of a business rival named Hawk.
At one point he's captured, beaten, and tortured but then he's rescued by Julia, Hawk's personal secretary, who also seeks revenge on her employer for causing the death of her sister.
Brown eventually finds and confronts Hawk at Hawk's fortress-like compound." (IMDb)

Oh man, this was fantastic vigilante actioner shot in Indonesia and starring Christopher Mitchum.
This ultra violent film includes non-stop action from start to finish. Get the OMG Entertainment dvd, whatever the cost.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I thought I could remember this 1988 horror being pretty terrible but when I saw a copy going cheap on DVD I couldn't pass up the opportunity to give it a second try and though it certainly has it faults most noticeably the rather pathetic looking demon creature it turned out to be quite entertaining overall and it sort of reminded me in a way of the previous years The Gate but admittedly not on the same level as that cult horror hit!

Performances were all rather decent and it features a very atmospheric Harry Manfredini https://youtu.be/2n8ztN_WraM score also it's well directed by He Know's Your Alone helmer Armand Mastroianni but sadly like I mentioned a lot of this hard work is undone by the goofy looking Demon villain which will never go down as being one of effects wizard Carlo Rambaldi's better efforts!

Still it's certainly watchable enough and another one that was a lot more enjoyable than how I'd remembered it being! 6.5/10

Dvd is fullscreen and the transfer is not overly great but no doubt an improvement over the old UK Medusa Home Video release.

https://youtu.be/QgtfezUVGtw - Cameron's Closet (1988) trailer.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

I don't recall seeing the Blob Warrior but I liked him in Platoon
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Accused
Rocket Gibraltar
La Bamba (rewatch)
At Close Range

Posts: 3767 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home