iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Last 80s movie you watched? (Page 29)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: Last 80s movie you watched?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Absolutely love both Psycho 2 & 3 Helen and don't dislike part 4 either especially for what was a made for TV sequel.

From the follow ups Psycho 2 is my pick of the bunch and for me a seriously strong sequel to what was a classic original and like you mentioned the ending was something else!

-

Actually got an original UK cinema quad poster for Psycho 3 currently hanging on my bedroom wall (above).

Sweet dreams, warrior [Big Grin] Seriously, love that iconic poster.
Posts: 6948 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's lovely Warrior [Big Grin]
Posts: 3781 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bates Motel - I didn't know what to expect going into this other than I'd heard that it was a TV pilot rather than a film. So was surprised to see that apart from the first few minutes it has no Norman whatsoever. It was one of the strangest viewings. After Norman dies his asylum roommate inherits his motel. He then travels there and meets a girl squatting in the house. From then on it becomes like a family comedy drama for most of the running time. Daft music and all. Up until they fix up the place and their first customer arrives. That's when I got dragged right into it with its quite fun ghostly storyline and I realised I would of happily sat and watched a series of this with a different customer and story each week.
Posts: 3781 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers Atomik,cheers Helen as you probably know I've got a few cinema posters and my plan originally was to keep changing the poster every so often but since I put Psycho 3 up I have not wanted to take it back down again plus I'm worried about handling them as the older quad posters were folded before being supplied to the various different cinema chains and I'm worried that I'm going to perhaps end up folding them wrong which will then lead to extra creasing!
Posts: 3242 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Innerspace
Posts: 5315 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blind Witness (1989)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096946/

Pretty bad tv-movie starring Victoria Principal, Paul Le Mat, Stephen Macht and Matt Clark.

Principal plays this blind woman, life is good and then these bad guys kill her husband.
Enter two cops, one who underestimates her skills finding the killers and another one who believes.

Playing a blind person is no easy task, Principal fails miserably and the screenplay isn´t helping her. Avoid!

Posts: 6948 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I just needed some 80s silliness so Better Off Dead it was [Big Grin]
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great choice Helen!

Saw coming to America
Robocop

Posts: 1526 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
A Cry for Love (1980)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080572/

"Divorcee Polly Harris with two kids to support, begins turning to amphetamines. While at her lowest ebb, she meets an alcoholic and three-time loser in marriage--who, incredibly, turns out to be the ideal man!" (IMDb)

This was a decent made-for-tv film with strong performances from Susan Blakely and Powers Boothe.
I liked the fact that it´s not too preachy and they leave the ending open. Some heavy drinking and pill popping here.

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Predator 1987

I love this movie and most of Arnold's 80s output. He certainly knew his strengths and what his fans wanted to see. I've seen this one so many times since the first one in the theater. Perfect cast, great effects, action, suspense. I give it 5/5!!

-

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Predator is a cool sci-fi/action film, even though the plot of an alien's hunting humans on earth was recycled from 1980's cheap and trashy but fun Without Warning a/k/a It Came Without Warning. [Smile]
Posts: 2021 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched the original John Waters film Hairspray (1988) and i still like it.

It´s a dance film set in 1962 starring Ricki Lake, Divine, Jerry Stiller, Colleen Fitzpatrick aka Vitamin C, Debbie Harry and Sonny Bono.
Lot´s of cool characters, music and dancing, dancing, dancing...

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

After her father dies, young Dale (Brooke Shields) takes his place in a trans-African auto race, but ends up being abducted by a desert sheik.- from IMDb

Watched 1983's Sahara with Brooke Shields,Lambert Wilson,John Rhys Davies and in a small role the late sir John Mills.

A huge flop for the Cannon Films group back in the day costing an estimated 25 million dollars (which at the time 83 would have been a pretty substantial budget) of which it recouped next to nothing when it showed in the theatres!

Positives - it was beautifully shot and in general fairly well acted by all involved,Brooke Shields looked terrific as did some of the action sequences,also the pacing was pretty decent and at 111 minutes did not outstay it's welcome and I'd say everything storywise was wrapped up just nicely come the end credits!

Negatives - for me were probably just how ridiculous it all got at times (Brooke Shields must disguise herself as a guy to take part in the male only desert race) with many moments producing much unintentional laughter which might in all truth actually have been a good thing as it made things that more entertaining overall!

Also what I might imagine could have put off some international audiences back upon it's release was just how some of the different nationalities that featured in the race were depicted ie. germans as evil double crossing baddies,Italians as hotheads and the Brits as overly pompous!

Still a fun action adventure that looks and sounds great on the UK Blu Ray from 88Films though extras wise it's completely bare bones with not even a trailer for the feature!

7/10.

https://youtu.be/lUag18ARQAE - Sahara (1983) trailer.

Posts: 3242 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Men at work. Enjoyed the rewatch.
Just one of the guys. Love this one. Buddy is a funny guy.
The great outdoors.
Aliens
Die hard

Posts: 1526 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raw Deal (1986)
An Officer and a Gentleman (1982) (rewatch)
Real Genius (1985)
Lethal Weapon (1987) (rewatch)
Flash Gordon (1980)

Posts: 3546 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095348/

"In this parody of blaxploitation movies, a black hero wannabe reunites former black heroes from the 70s to help him get revenge on Mr. Big." (IMDb)

So-so spoof flick directed by and starring Keenen Ivory Wayans.
Cool cast and few fun jokes but that´s it. Could and should have been better.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Hadn't watched this in years and had forgotten just how inventive and fun it all was,moves at at a great pace as well with the likeable Dennis Quaid turning in another solid performance and a beautiful looking Kate Capshaw co starring alongside a really great cast including Max Von Sydow,David Patrick Kelly (The Warriors),Eddie Albert,George Wendt plus Christopher Plummer as the evil government agent Bob Blair.

For a movie that relies quite a bit on its effects work in general i'd say that most of it still to this day holds up rather well but the Snakeman stop motion effects especially at the films finale now seem somewhat slightly laughable though it doesn't detract from what is overall a really fun and entertaining action/adventure movie!

UK Blu Ray from Second Sight films(saw it on a rental) looks and sounds really nice and though I didn't get chance to check out the extras it looks like there's a good selection on there!

Highly recommended 7.5/10 and I would like to pick this one up for my own collection.

https://youtu.be/nRYp3LPL0bc - Dreamscape trailer (1984).

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dreamscape is a fun movie. I especially liked how the movie introduced Dennis Quaid and his psychic ability--he's winning money at the track. That's exactly what anyone with the power would do!

Yeah, I agree that a few of the effects are dated, but it's still a sharp and fast-paced thriller directed by the great B-movie genius Joe Ruben, who also did a few other small gems like The Stepfather and True Believer.

Posts: 2021 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I also have the 88 Films Sahara release (still unwrapped) and it seems that i need to upgrade my Dreamscape disc too!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Dreamscape is a good quality Blu Ray Atomik and the film was a blast to watch after all this time,Sahara too was more entertaining than what I'd imagined and also looked great on Blu.

-

A priest is put in a dilemma when the serial killer who has been murdering priests and nuns confesses to him.- from IMDb

1987 murder mystery with the terrific Donald Sutherland and the equally great Charles Durning which despite moving at a rather relaxed pace and becoming overly daft at times still manages to entertain over its slightly overlong running time of 1 hour and 45 minutes and does feature the odd creepy/jumpy moment along the way!

Good use of Detroit locations,a fairly gripping plot line and not forgetting the beautiful Belinda Bauer also add to make this a more than watchable old fashioned murder mystery - 7/10.

https://youtu.be/Kf83y5EpB6E - The Rosary Murders trailer (1987).

[ 07. October 2017, 13:54: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I think that The Rosary Murders is criminally underrated. The acting is great, the mystery is not too shabby, and it's authentic to the Father Koesler series of mystery novels in that it was set in Detroit. Belinda Bauer is good in it too. (The book's author was a Detroit priest who left the priesthood and married a journalist. A little autobiographical, don't you think? [Smile] ) Her plot line is intriguing because while the screenplay isn't explicit about it, if you are a schooled Catholic, it's clear that she and Sutherland had had an intimate relationship. It was directed by ace Fred Walton, who is well known to this site for having directed When a Stranger Calls and April Fool's Day. It's old fashioned but entertaining. I still laugh every time Durning, as the old priest, gives that sermon--with Sutherland mouthing along with it, word for word--"How will you die? Perhaps you will be crushed by the wheels of a train!" ROFLMAO

[ 07. October 2017, 17:33: Message edited by: Crash ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
. I still laugh every time Durning, as the old priest, gives that sermon--with Sutherland mouthing along with it, word for word--"How will you die? Perhaps you will be crushed by the wheels of a train!" ROFLMAO

Yeah that made me laugh as well Crash,I also liked the part where Sutherland goes to the killers house and he climbs in upstairs via a ladder and he's looking around and the next thing he opens the door (Slight spoiler here for those that haven't seen it) and the killer is just stood there and normally I think i would have expected this but It made me jump out my skin!

Definitely a decent watch Crash and one that if I saw the Blu Ray going cheap (I watched on DVD rental) I would be tempted to pick up!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

The story begins when three aliens get a bit hacked off at their 'friend' Bernard, who keeps making a prat of himself playing space ball. It is while he is playing space ball that the others start playing around with the space ship controls. They accidentally disconnect his part of the ship, leaving him stranded while they crash into a large blue planet close by... - from IMDb.

Watched the 1985 British comedy Morons From Outer for the first time and while it's very uneven at times there's some really funny moments throughout!

Starts of strong and during the first 30-40 minutes I found myself laughing my head off many a time but as I sort of expected it does finally run out of steam with the laughs then geting fewer and further between and come the last 20 aimless minutes or so I felt that the film was in serious need of life support!

Lots of well known Brit actors here most notably Mel Smith and his comic companion Griff Rhys Jones plus also Jimmy Nail (Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) as one of the aliens and then from the other side of the pond you have the American actor James Sikking of Hill Street Blues Fame.

Overall it's far from perfect and I thought the ending in particular was pretty dismal but still there's just about enough laughs here i'd say especially in that first half to make it a worthwhile viewing! 6.5/10

https://youtu.be/a3hJQbJbHbs - Morons From Outer Space trailer (1985).

[ 11. October 2017, 10:50: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home