iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Pacific Heights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pacific Heights
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Pacific Heights" would definitely get consideration for our 90's movie with an 80's hangover list.

-

Look at this cast: Melanie Griffith, Matthew Modine, Michael Keaton, Beverly D'Angelo, Dan Hedaya, and Carl Lumbly. Oh and Tippi Hedren plays this rich pretty older woman with virtually no lines that Michael Keaton attempts to seduce.

-

The main reason I mention Tippi Hedren is because I spent most of the movie back in the 90's trying to remember why she looked so familar and a cool tidbit is the fact that she is is Melanie Griffith's real life mom.

Here's the plot:

Patty Palmer and Drake Goodman are a young couple who buy a sprawling house on the San Francisco neighborhood of Pacific Heights, but have to rent out portions of the house in order to make their loan payments. They seemingly find the perfect tenant in the suave Carter Hayes, who impresses them with quickly with a wad of greenbacks and the ability to move in immediately. Problem is, that Mr. Hayes is a known scam artist and is well versed in loopholes with regard to tenancy laws. He does not want to pay his rent and when he is asked to move out, he begins to execute a sinister plan.

After watching this movie, you might think twice about being a landlord.. though Carter Hayes is to the extreme.. the world is full of undesirables that fit the less than stellar tenants mold.

-

My fav parts of "Pacific Heights" are when Melanie Griffith turns the tables on Michael Keaton and starts to wreck his future scams by exposing him. The ending is not a surprise, but still has some suspense involved.

-

And you've gotta admire that interesting old house they were renovating.. Roger Ebert calls "Pacific Heights" a horror film for yuppies and you have to believe that the house played an integral part in that analysis. I recently found out the house while in San Francisco is actually located in Potrero Hill rather than Pacific Heights.

Any fans?

[ 15. January 2011, 11:09: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liked this. Hasn't the house been in other movies? Offhand I'm thinking of the movie 'Maxie' with Glenn Close... and 'Foul Play' with Goldie Hawn.

Is it wrong that this movie still seems 'new' to me? I remember it being released like it was yesterday, and I can't get that "It just came out" feeling out of my head.

[ 15. January 2011, 15:33: Message edited by: Logan 5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really enjoyed this film double feature with 'Malice'.
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie is good at keeping you on the edge of your seat because they give so little info about Michael Keaton's character and you don't know what he is up to or see him much until the end. Matthew Modine is passable but Melanie Griffith is really good.

They shoulda rented to the black guy! [Big Grin]

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
80's and very early 90's Melanie Griffith always gave off a Michelle Meyrink vibe.
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like michael keaton way better than matthew modine, yet keaton is the bad guy so its hard to root for him. good movie regardless
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you think keaton did a better job as a bad guy in this or extreme measures?
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Liked this. Hasn't the house been in other movies? Offhand I'm thinking of the movie 'Maxie' with Glenn Close... and 'Foul Play' with Goldie Hawn.

Is it wrong that this movie still seems 'new' to me? I remember it being released like it was yesterday, and I can't get that "It just came out" feeling out of my head.

I reckon it was used for Mrs. Doubtfire also.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home