iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Kiss (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Kiss
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Duckie has a miniture stage with Kiss figures on it, with mini microphones etc. It is right up there with his wobbling head Rush dolls.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rush Bobble heads? Man that's hardcore, didn't know those existed.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KISSMAD
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4412

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for KISSMAD   Email KISSMAD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Anyone collect other Kiss stuff(dolls, toys, pinball machines)? I know they are one of the kings as far as merch goes. Anyone here ever been to a Kiss convention?

I've been to the Sydney convention back in 1995. It cost $105 for 12 hours of Kiss.
Posts: 65 | From: Aussieland | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch that's a tidy sum. Was it worth it? Gene's mercahdise vision knows no bounds, I remember when he was actually hawking Kiss coffins a while back.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KISSMAD
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4412

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for KISSMAD   Email KISSMAD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was worth every cent. It was the first time I saw Kiss live. First the Q&A then the unplugged set. The next night I went to my first Kiss concert. It's the best Kiss concert I've been to.

The Kiss merchandise is way out of hand but as long as they wear the makeup, there will be merchandise.

Posts: 65 | From: Aussieland | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kiss are playing the UK in 2010....I am sooooooooo excited it's ridiculous. Me and my number one rock guru Mr Duck are going to be in attendance....he is a rock yoda...but taller, less green and not made of any geological material.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly, Kiss were incredibly uncool in the UK during the 70's and 80's. It's only since the whole retro thing happened that we seem to buy into them. We can view them as a piece of American kitsch. I saw a teenage girl wearing a 'Kiss' t-shirt that had the distinctive band name logo recently, and found myself wondering if she'd ever really listened to them, or if she just liked the design.

I was a Kiss fan in the 80's and 90's. That was a lonely existence I can tell you.

Angel: Don't you go running off with Mr. Gene Simmons. You'll have the Duck standing outside your window with a boombox playing 'Love Gun'.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
Haha...it's Stanley he's gotta look out for. Love that star child [Wink] I had a 19 year old say to me the other day that the first time she saw me she thought my Kiss t-shirt was really cool. Let the Kiss resurgence commence.
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have a few Kiss trading cards from when I was a kid. No idea how that all got started, but it was all the rage in 5th grade..ha
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Haha...it's Stanley he's gotta look out for. Love that star child [Wink]
I think you might be out of luck. Isn't Mr. Stanley a little... *ahem*... 'light in the loafer'?

quote:
I had a 19 year old say to me the other day that the first time she saw me she thought my Kiss t-shirt was really cool.
See. I become yet more convinced that the whole modern Kiss thing (in the UK) is based on the logo and not on the music. What shirt was it?

On a similar note: I recently noticed that 'Atticus' clothing in the UK have stolen the 'Phantom of the Paradise' dead bird logo. I shall have to retire my 'Death Records' t-shirt *SOB*!

quote:
Let the Kiss resurgence commence.
"Re-surgence"? Surely for the UK it's simply a 'surgence'... if there is such a thing!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
No....Kiss were popular here with perhaps a smaller fan base than in the States (understatement)....but I bet that when they tour here next year it will be sold out....you wait and see Mr 5....you'll see...YOU'LL ALLLL SEEEEE mwuhahahaha [Wink]
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember Kiss being that popular over here. None of my friends were into them, and I can't remember people talking about them in school.

Zeppelin, Purple & Queen were the 70 bands that were incredibly popular, especially Queen.

I think Kiss would be classified as a cult band, like Rush.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
Yeah....but even rush were sold out when they last played and the Duck told me that there were lotsa younguns there enjoying them. People liked Kiss damnit...they DID. haha
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wrong to call either Rush or Kiss 'cult' bands. They are slightly bigger than that.

Rush have been around for over 40 years. The biggest crowds they've ever played to were in Brazil(40,000+, 60,000) They have never come close to playing to that sort of a crowd over here. 2 nights at Wembley Arena doesn't cut it.

Kiss at the moment are playing 2 nights @ Wembley Arena. It only holds 10,000 ppl, I'm sure it's going to be sold out. They still couldn't fill a Stadium. [Razz] *

I should say at this point that I'm a huge fan of Rush. I really wish they could fill Wembley Stadium or Old Trafford, cos their music deserves to be heard by a lot more people. I can't stand Kiss. [Wink]

* Famous last words?!?

Anyway Earth Angel, I'm sure you're going to have a great night. [Smile]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say we all watch "Detroit Rock City" tonight and call it even!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I'll say is this......

Kiss, Rush and Earth Angel are three of the things in life that I simply cannot live without.

Not to everybody's tastes perhaps.....but I love them all....and I KNOW what I'm talking about [Wink]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I feel a big one coming on...

quote:
No....Kiss were popular here with perhaps a smaller fan base than in the States (understatement)....but I bet that when they tour here next year it will be sold out....you wait and see Mr 5....you'll see...YOU'LL ALLLL SEEEEE mwuhahahaha [Wink]
Madness has taken hold. Keep it that way!

They had a very small fanbase, and no mainstream popularity whatsoever. You have to remember that when Kiss came over here Punk had just happened; they were seen as the height of tacky American sweaty rock. Glam happened in the UK in the early 70's, and Kiss were seen as tacky and behind the times!

Their first taste of mainstream success came with 'Crazy Nights' in the late 80's when they tried to sound like Bon Jovi.

The British music scene in the late 70's and early 80's was incredibly dynamic and vibrant. If you said you were a Kiss fan then, you were seen as having very bad taste indeed (it was a very anti-corporate American time). That only really changed in the 90's when 70's retro was in, and people began to take an interest in a phenomenon that had never really happened here in the first place. Because the Kiss logo and merchandising is so prevalent now, people think they were popular back then. They were, but not in the UK.

They will sell out, and people will have a blast. That's because they're more popular now than ever!

You wanted the best Ms. Angel... you'll get the best!

quote:
I don't remember Kiss being that popular over here. None of my friends were into them, and I can't remember people talking about them in school.
You wouldn't. Despite a huge marketing push, they never broke into the national conciousness. Even bands like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were seen as dinosaurs in the late 70's (despite retaining huge followings) Kiss seemed really tacky.

quote:
Zeppelin, Purple & Queen were the 70 bands that were incredibly popular, especially Queen.

I think Kiss would be classified as a cult band, like Rush.

In the US and Aus, Kiss were huge. They lost a huge amount of their popularity in the States when the 70's clicked over into the 80's (like the Bee Gees) and albums like 'Music From the Elder' didn't help. They spent most of the 80's trying to rebuild their popularity (they always retained a medium-sized following, and they did ok). By carrying on until the 90's they kind of passed though the storm, and like Alice Cooper they got back some cred just by carrying on ( a lot of acts like 'Guns & Roses' and 'Motley Crue' cited them as influences).

quote:
Yeah....but even rush were sold out when they last played and the Duck told me that there were lotsa younguns there enjoying them. People liked Kiss damnit...they DID. haha
Old music is more accessible than ever thanks to the net. Younger people can sample bands in a way they never could in the past. Years ago (you remember!) if you wanted to hear old music you either had to fork out a tenner for a CD/Album, or you had to go to second hand record stores and buy them (most kids never did that). Now people can hear the music almost for free, and if they like it they can go and see the act (which is where they spend their money). The live music scene was almost dead in the 90's thanks to rave and dance, but now because of the internet it's alive again! Touring bands benefit from that a lot.

As for Rush vs Kiss: Rush were more consistently popular than Kiss over here. I believe 'Spirit of Radio' was quite a big single. They were seen as a live/album band with progressive leanings, so they maintained a good following. Kiss were seen much more as a gimmicky act so they struggled with consistency.

For those that care, here's a nice little list of acts who were big in America, but meant almost nothing over here... get ready for a shock...

Kiss
Journey
Rick Springfield
The Motels
Quarterflash
The Fixx

Ok, maybe Quarterflash wasn't a shock, but still.

I say all of the above as a Kiss fan who liked them *before* they became retro. Which wasn't helped by liking the other acts on the list, too! Not quite a social pariah, but I was always prepared for some blank stares when I named them. But that's ok, they were the same people that bought *albums* by 'S-Express' and 'Black Box' without realising they were novelty acts in disguise.

quote:
Kiss at the moment are playing 2 nights @ Wembley Arena. It only holds 10,000 ppl, I'm sure it's going to be sold out. They still couldn't fill a Stadium. *
Not bad going though!

quote:
I say we all watch "Detroit Rock City" tonight and call it even!
Sold!

quote:
Kiss, Rush and Earth Angel are three of the things in life that I simply cannot live without.

Not to everybody's tastes perhaps.....but I love them all....and I KNOW what I'm talking about

The boombox is held aloft... Earth Angel is fast asleep... play is pressed...

"YOU PULL THE TRIGGER ON MY... LOOOOOOVE GUUUUUUUN!"

The entire street is now awake.

Will she rock and roll over, or will it be hotter than hell?!

"I gave her my heart... she gave me a Kiss t-shirt. I'm actually kind of happy about that."

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KISS was snubbed once again for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame yet ABBA gets in before them.

Pretty much just like when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for best Heavy Metal Album at the Grammy's

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kiss really really should already be in there. They had a huge impact in the late 70's.

However, they also made some somewhat... 'trashy' music, which, while audiences love it, critics are much more disdainful of. Could that be why they aren't already there?

Tull plays a mean flute. I think even Metallica would agree that Tull are far far heavier than them [Roll Eyes]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home