iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What movie spooked you the most as a kid? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What movie spooked you the most as a kid?
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any new additions?
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The top two movies that freaked me out as a kid were....

JAWS.
Had me afraid to go swimming in my own backyard pool for weeks. Forget about swimming at night too. Slept with the light on for a while.
 -

THE CAR.
Freaked me out completely. Another one that had my light on all night for weeks. I kept imagining that car jumping through my window and killing me. lol
 -

[ 18. October 2011, 18:38: Message edited by: skatexedge ]

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scariest thing that I've ever seen, and it's still spooky even after all these years is the segment entitled "A Drop of Water" in Mario Bava's 1963 omnibus horror film "Black Sabbath" ("I Tre Volti della Paura"). Bava, quite possibly the most underrated genius director in world cinema, takes the simplest of things (a buzzing fly, a dripping faucet, a flickering light, a dead body on a bed) and just scares the bejeezes out of you with the way he puts the elements together. It's all creepy, oppressive, nerve-wracking atmosphere, and then... Well, it's unforgettable. Let's just say so many folks of a certain age love this--and with good reason: It's about the scariest 20 minutes or so on film. Ever. I saw it for the first time when I was about 13, and I've seen it a bunch of times since then (Ignore the folks complaining on amazon.com about the Starz/Anchor Bay DVD's being the Italian version with--shudders--subtitles. This segment has very little dialogue, and great horror films work in any language anyway). To all the kids who adore these idiotic modern gorefest remakes masquerading as fright films, I say, "Check out what real horror filmmaking is all about. (And it's almost 50 years old too!)" :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
skate.. I was too young to see "Jaws" in the theater, but snuck into see "Jaws 2" and it was crazy. People were going nuts.. screaming like banshees throwing their concession stand candy at the screen. It was one of the most surreal experience that I can remember as a kid at the theater.

Crash.. your description of that movie is actually scaring the snot out of me right!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh..that's easy..

-

...and the particular scene that caused me to run home screaming and crying like a little girl from my friend's house where I was watching it for the first time....

-

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falkor
Rewinder
Member # 7874

17 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Falkor   Email Falkor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Ghostbusters II really scared me. My brothers were babysitting me and we rented it. I was only little (maybe 5) so I didn't get the comedic aspect of it. The painting that came to life was especially frightening.

-

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 17  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The clown from Poltergeist is always a winner! As is Jaws.

'Don't Look Now' was pretty creepy. I also found the onset of the plague in 'Masque of the Red Death' creepy when I was younger.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted to this thread in a while and may have already mentioned this but.......Dead Birds is a movie I haven't been able to watch all the way through. They play this creeepy music that never lets up so you can't fully relax even if nothing is happening on the screen. It's all about the atmosphere.

I've also thought Nosferatu was scary-it totally made sense when they made the movie about the making of it where he was supposed to be a vamp for real. (Shadow of the Vampire)

Halloween night we always have Night of the Living Dead on the TV. It's tradition and not gory you have to worry the trick or treaters will freak out.

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always unnerving the first time anyone sees it, and was especially so for I: Michael slowly and ominously materializes out of the void behind Laurie after letting her view his "work" for the evening thus far and almost lets her have it. The dark set and frightful music add to the terror of the moment, which then stays at a nightmarish fever pitch from that point on until Loomis blasts him off the balcony a good 5-10 minutes later--seemingly an eternity for viewers. And indeed all through the picture, knowing what Michael could do or is about to do makes it scarier than just showing him do it outright, which the people in charge of continuing the series regretably forget to our detriment.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, trust me: I can't do "Black Sabbath" justice with a mere description. If you watch it really late at night in the dark, by yourself, I will not be responsible for whatever happens. :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
Valley, trust me: I can't do "Black Sabbath" justice with a mere description. If you watch it really late at night in the dark, by yourself, I will not be responsible for whatever happens. :-)

I can vouch for that as I did make the mistake of watching Black Sabbath alone in the dark in my room late at night. No one warned me dammit:/...and now that "face" still haunts me...*shivers*
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I love it, Pyromantic--someone else on here who has been emotionally scarred for life by "Black Sabbath"! Thanks for seconding my motion that it is so scary that you will never, ever forget it. That movie has been damaging souls for years--and yet it still exists basically under the radar in like a super-secret club where folks whisper about it and warn others. Your disclaimer ("No one warned me...") is so very dead on! ROFLMAO Folks, take it from us. It is highly recommended, but be careful. You might wind up in therapy or with huge bills for prescription sleeping pills because it will mess you up big time. (If that isn't an almost irresponsible invitation to disaster, Pyro, I don't know what is!)

[ 15. April 2015, 20:42: Message edited by: Crash ]

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first job at 16 was at a movie theater the summer that Poltergeist came out (1982...yes I am dating myself! =). Awesome movie and it was fun walking into the theater and seeing it freak people out every time!!

The face peeling scene in the downstairs bathroom never failed to get all the girls screaming every time!!

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magic (1978): I saw this creeper back about 25 years ago when i was 4 as it was one of the first movies we ever watched when me moved from Arizona to San Diego to live, after that nice pleasant stay for a month in one of the howard johnson hotels we moved in the house and my parents with big brother rented the movie, it scared the bejesus out of me and made me afraid of dummies even of my brother's Mortimer dummy whom i ask to put it away sometimes.

Making Contact (a.k.a. Joey): Who remembers this one? it has a scary ventriloquist dummy in it where it's possessed by a demon that terrorizes a psychic kid after his dad dies and it threatens his mother, neighbor and city with demons from another dimension. I Watched it on video when i was 6 years old and it scared the bejesus out of me as well like Magic did and the dummy is scary as Fats.

Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night: Who remembers this dark and warped 1987 animated movie from Filmation that had James Earl Jones? i saw this in theaters after christmas when it came out when i was 6 and it scared the hell out of me with it's darkness and that horrifying scene where the title emperor's minion tortures the human Pinocchio as he's turning back into a puppet, very scary stuff.

Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I like "Magic" (Anthony Hopkins is an excellent actor; I could watch him in anything.) but I think that two other ventriloquist dummy movies are much, much better and scarier: "The Ventriloquist's Dummy" episode of the classic "Dead of Night" (1945) with Sir Michael Redgrave and especially a little gem called "Devil Doll" (1964). It was ridiculed by the MST3K gang back in the day, but it's really weird and chilling.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could never do it justice here - and mamamiasweetpeaches will know EXACTLY what I mean....

"Children! Children! I smell children!!"

-

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Paul.. you were spooked by the Child Catcher from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"?
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
How about those creepy flying monkeys from "The Wizard of Oz".. especially if you are watching it while listening to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"?

-

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

Yep. Getting the bejeepers scared out of you at the age of seven by him is a rite of passage.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I love it, Pyromantic--someone else on here who has been emotionally scarred for life by "Black Sabbath"! Thanks for seconding my motion that it is so scary that you will never, ever forget it. That movie has been damaging souls for years--and yet it still exists basically under the radar in like a super-secret club where folks whisper about it and warn others. Your disclaimer ("No one warned me...") is so very dead on! ROFLMAO Folks, take it from us. It is highly recommended, but be careful. You might wind up in therapy or with huge bills for presciption sleeping pills because it will mess you up big time. (If that isn't an almost irresponsible invitation to disaster, Pyro, I don't know what is!)

Exactly Crash, this is one I can agree with you till the end on. Black Sabbath is a horror film in a class all it's own. I really do not think I've ever seen it's equal. Indeed it is a highly recommended film to see for any true horror movie fanatic. But a caution for alone viewing in the dark late at night is certainly required here.
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a lot of ways The Secret of NIMH can be a prolonged nightmare for younger viewers. It certainly had me on edge for my first viewing during recess in 2nd grade. From the almost nightmarish tractor bearing down on the mice, to the rather spooky owl, to pretty much the entire last 20 minutes, it still has me a little hesitant to watch it all the way through today (but give credit to Don Bluth where credit is due; the man has never been afraid to be scary for the sake of telling a good story, be it the deaths of loved ones, full-on pogroms, or even complete planetary destruction).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wasn't everyone who saw it as a kid?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlaDiver
Rewind Curious
Member # 9267

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for FlaDiver   Email FlaDiver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with Veronica. Steven King's "IT" scared the hell out of me! Another not as scary, but very creepy would have to be the "wheelers" from the movie Return to OZ. Man those things are just wrong!
Posts: 2 | From: Middle of No-where, Florida | Registered: Nov 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
It is the season. Once again, I highly recommend Black Sabbath with the scariest 20 minutes or so ever put on film.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash, correct me if I am wrong but I believe the band took their name from the movie.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home