iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What movie spooked you the most as a kid? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What movie spooked you the most as a kid?
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneyedwilly:
Pyro - that dolls movie looks really creepy. Is it any good?

I personally love Dolls. It's one of my favorite scary movies. I love the ending.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Movies that scared me as a kid...

Phantasm scared the **** out of me!! I had nightmares for WEEKS the first time I saw it. That creepy azz Tall Man still spooks me lol.

Ghost Story also scared the crap out of me. I know, I know, a bunch of really, really old men sitting around telling ghost stories...woman seeking vengeance haunting them in different forms...probably shouldn't be scary. I was young when I watched it though and it terrified me.

And let's not forget It and that oh-so-scary Pennywise the clown. It was years before I could watch it all the way through. I think I read the book and then decided to brave the movie. I remember watching the first hour when I was a kid and that was all I could handle.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightmare on Elm Street. Just creeped me out.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

have you seen marytrs pyro?

No I haven't...any good?
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i think you will like it pyro. Its got a decent story as well with twist at the end. Its nothing like saw or halloween or anything like those. Its in french, subtitled english. Its one of those movies that will mess up your brain just for a while until you remind yourself its not real and only a movie...you said your not easily shocked anymore but this movie isnt shocking its just really well done and i think you definately should get it.

Also try a zombie slashing, decapitating, leg flying no hold bar movie called dead snow - its about a group of norweigian medical students who go up the mountains to a cabin for a gettaway and encounter some neo natzi zombies who have one thing in mind - ripping them apart and eating them - its the gorriest, funniest zombie film ive ever seen apart from Brain dead which is another must see for you. im looking forward to hearing how you like them. Just trust my judgement. Ill put up some covers for you pyro. I think you will absolutely love brain dead by peter jackson which is filmed in new zealand - that is absolutely hilarious and i would be really surprised if youve seen anything like it coz i hadnt seen anything close to it at all.

[ 23. May 2010, 02:21: Message edited by: oneyedwilly ]

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

if you havnt seen any of these movies then you really are missing out on 3 great films to make you laugh, make you lose sleep and remind you that some producerd are just creative genius's.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oneyed.. that dvd cover to "Martyrs" is wicked. But the description is "Hostel" like and the torture flick genre is kind of played out for me. Though this one sounds like revenge which kind of intriguing.

Pryo.. I haven't seen "Dolls" in years, but remember it being a great movie.

pettyfan.. the backstory on "Magic".. my parents were out of town and I talked my older brother into renting it for us to watch that night. I definitely slept with the light on that night. I need to watch it again.. looking back.. wild that Anthony Hopkins starred in it.

Bamersy.. I really want to watch "Kolobos" again now that you mentioned it. This movie would definitely make you think twice before signing up for a reality show. ha

Since we are discussing newer movies.. what about the unrated version of "The Descent"?

-

[ 23. May 2010, 03:40: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First horror film I ever saw; 'American Werewolf in London'. That scared me as a kid.

But the one that leaps to mind as the horror film that left the deepest wound in my brain, was 'The Changeling'. I have no idea why, but it did.

-

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Has anyone else ever seen a creepy movie called "Magic" with Anthony Hopkins?

-

Yes! I forgot about this one.... scared the crap out of me as a kid. Another one I just remembered too - Foul Play. I laugh at it now and can't believe that these scared me.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by 80'sRocked: forgot about this one.... scared the crap out of me as a kid. Another one I just remembered too - Foul Play. I laugh at it now and can't believe that these scared me.

I thought Foul Play was great. "And I'm Ready To Take A Chance Again, Ready to put my love on the line with you."

Why do we have a radio station on that plays Barry Manilow? [Wink]

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always gonna be The Shining....omg!!! Still scares the crap out of me....I own it BUT won't watch it alone....um...... no WAY!

Redrum redrum redrum....urgahhhhh i'm already scared!!

-

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yeah i think you will like it pyro. Its got a decent story as well with twist at the end. Its nothing like saw or halloween or anything like those. Its in french, subtitled english. Its one of those movies that will mess up your brain just for a while until you remind yourself its not real and only a movie...you said your not easily shocked anymore but this movie isnt shocking its just really well done and i think you definately should get it.

Also try a zombie slashing, decapitating, leg flying no hold bar movie called dead snow - its about a group of norweigian medical students who go up the mountains to a cabin for a gettaway and encounter some neo natzi zombies who have one thing in mind - ripping them apart and eating them - its the gorriest, funniest zombie film ive ever seen apart from Brain dead which is another must see for you. im looking forward to hearing how you like them. Just trust my judgement. Ill put up some covers for you pyro. I think you will absolutely love brain dead by peter jackson which is filmed in new zealand - that is absolutely hilarious and i would be really surprised if youve seen anything like it coz i hadnt seen anything close to it at all.

I have seen Brain Dead Willy...and being that I agree with you about that film being very good..I will add the other 2 you mentioned on my "to watch" list. because I haven't seen those other 2 yet. I'm a little put off by the cover art to "Dead Snow". It looks to be one of those trite and overdone Blood & Guts "Hostel" type movies that have been done to death at this point. And quite frankly, they bore me. But I'll probably go ahead and check it out anyway just for curiosity sake.

That Martyrs movie looks to be something a little more up my alley though. I will definetly be giving that one a viewing. And of course I'll report back my reviews on both films after watching them.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bamersy:

plus I can't handle watching people move in unnatural ways-bent backwards etc. Totally freaks me out!

Avoid Flashdance then.

I certainly didn't enjoy Mr Barlow or the wandering undead turning up at your window in Salem's Lot.

In the 80s I wanted to join The Ghostbusters (as you do) so was into the occult from an academic viewpoint. Even asked the librarian to order me a copy of Tobin's Spirit Guide.

Rosemary's Baby is quite out there, not just because its directed by that corrupt little deviant Roman Polanski. But primarily because it shatters the myth that old people can't be evil in movies. Poor Mia Farrow, so hard to find an apartment in the first place and when she does its infested by Satanists!

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

The Changeling is pretty creepy...
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Devolution:
Poltergeist. There's nothing else that comes close.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">Have to agree 100% on that, it was the first scary movie I ever saw, I didn't sleep properly for weeks afterwards.

Despite making me s**t scared it got me into scary movies, used to stay up at night watching films on a little 12" black/white tv as a kid, even Amityville was scary on a black/white tv...

As an adult the only films that have given me a taste of what Poltergeist did to me as a kid was Ring and Ring 2. Saw "Ring" (original) on tv late at night and I was so creeped out I had to stay awake all night until it got light outside before I felt safe enough to get some sleep! a week later and "Ring 2" creeped me out almost as much.

Have to say though that the remakes of horror movies, like Amityville and the Japanese ones into Hollywood ones just don't have the impact of the originals, even when they used the same director for the Hollywood version.

Anyone on the hunt for some recent decent horror (ie the past 10 years or so) should check out "[Rec]", the original Spanish 2007 version because the 2008 "Quarrantine" is rubbish in comparison. And on the foreign horror streak; Ring, Ring 2, The Grudge, Dark Water, The Eye, Audition.

[ 23. May 2010, 15:10: Message edited by: The Wizard ]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wizard .. if you thought "The Ring" was scary.. I highly recommend that you trackdown the original "Ringu" that inspired it.

I enjoyed "The Ring" .. when the girl climbed out of that tv .. Awesome!! One of those Bamersy "when people move in unnatural ways" moments!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Anyone on the hunt for some recent decent horror (ie the past 10 years or so) should check out "[Rec]", the original Spanish 2007
yeah i have this one - done like the blair witch POV camera stuff - it was well done and its ok.

quote:
that dvd cover to "Martyrs" is wicked. But the description is "Hostel" like and the torture flick genre is kind of played out for me. Though this one sounds like revenge which kind of intriguing
It has elements of revenge, elements of hostel but has just that-elements. It wont bore you and is unpredictable to a degree. It frightened the hell out of me and caused me a lot of uneasiness afterwards. I watched it on my own one night not knowing a thing about it other than the title and i think thats often the best way - no expectations, no predictions. I think the fact you need to follow subtitles adds to the overall effect. i saw the decent and didnt really find it that scary, just a little unique and new.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Alice Sweet Alice (1977)
 -

This is another one I can add to the list of movies that freaked me out as a kid. Infamous for being the first movie Brooke Shields was in, this movie ranks up there with such films as "The Shining" and "The Omen" on the creepy meter.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
80'sRocked.. "Foul Play" was hilarious! Guess not for little 80'sRocked though. I do see how it could seem scary especially for a kid.

My fav teaming of Chevy Chase & Goldie Hawn will actuallt always be "Seems Like Old Times".

btw, Dudley Moore stole scenes with is wicked funny stuff in "Foul Play"..

Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Valley: I enjoyed "The Ring" .. when the girl climbed out of that tv .. Awesome!! One of those Bamersy "when people move in unnatural ways" moments!

Totally! Didn't help that we have a huge TV in the bedroom-was almost as bad as when I had my Bloody Mary/mirror fears! Ringu was just as good if not better.

The Ring had some scary moments-like getting the fly off the screen, and the warped faces of the scared to death people. The hokey part was who exactly was making those phone calls? Did creepy well girl have a cell and a GPS on the video tape??

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dolls" was pretty scary to me as a kid also. My good friend's mom used to collect old china dolls and actually had a whole bedroom filled to the brim with them. The first time I saw the movie was at that girl's house and we were too afraid to go upstairs because of her Mom's doll collection. Whenever I went to her house after that, her older brother would tease us by putting the dolls next to us when we were sleeping and leave us scary notes that were supposedly written by the the dolls just to freak us out....The movie doesn't scare me anymore, but the music in it still kinda creeps me out.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just cuz I would catch snips of em when my parenst watched em on TV and told me to leave the room and I wouldnt:

THE OMEN
SYBIL
THE OTHER (really good. I recommend!)
and BURNT OFFERINGS. I had a cousin who used to make me watch it everytime it was on TV.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
People have mentioned the ring or ring2 or ringu, granted they are a little bit scary but in relation to whats out there now i honestly didnt see the big deal about it at all. sorry.
Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might sound stupid but for me it was the peanut butter solution.
I like the fact that most people me included thought this movie may have just been a dream. If you have never seen this movie google it.

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I thought Foul Play was great. "And I'm Ready To Take A Chance Again, Ready to put my love on the line with you."
Hmm... I guess the albino and the dwarf could be scary to a little kid. I think it's great too!

And I have to say... I loves me some Manilow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTBrY_Uterk

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home