iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » STREETS OF FIRE: Alas, I did not love it! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: STREETS OF FIRE: Alas, I did not love it!
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got around to seeing this. Not only didnt I love it, I didnt like it either!

Michael Pare is probably one of the worst Leading Men Ive ever seen. No charm or charisma and cant act either!

Diane Lane is gorgeous and can lip synch and thats pretty much all I can say bout her here

Why is EG Daley even in this movie? Dont get me wrong - I love her, but her charactor is not even neccesarry - which they must have realized in the second half cuz she just randomly disappears!

Bad, bad, bad movie. I dont know what I would have thought about it in 1984..but , well, it hasnt "aged" well!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this movie.. always have..
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can this be? This is one of the best movies ever. It gets better with every viewing, so maybe give it a second try in the future. The soundtrack is phenomenal too.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
streets of fire??? ill check that out.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you mama...I think. I started watching this about 6 months ago, but was interupted by my son's shorter than usual nap...I didn't rush to go back, but I may give it another shot. So I can't say for sure that I don't like...but I'm pretty sure I don't! [Wink]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wow777
Rewind Curious
Member # 8717

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for wow777   Author's Homepage   Email wow777   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was a strange movie.everybody can't always feel the same about everything.as for me? i didn't like it either....... i loved it!!! don't forget rick moranis was in it and that hot chick from field of dreams and uncle buck.or was that eg daley? lol
Posts: 7 | From: tn/il | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I appreciate it for when I watched it when I was younger, it's not great now.

We are DEVO.

However the soundtrack is fantastic.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone mentioned the movie on here before so i rented it and I agree I thought it was terrible I didn't even finish the movie. I cant remember the last time I turned a movie off but this was one of them. I don't know what it was about the movie but it just bored me from the start.
Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Pare is a handsome piece of wood. Willem was cool though! Diane never looked better. Something was missing from the story.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these responses for real? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone [Big Grin]
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I liked the film as a kid but always felt there was something missing. Chemistry maybe? A piece of the story? I still think it's worth watching because it's so unique (and has a great soundtrack).
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Michael Pare is a handsome piece of wood" LMAO!

I agree with the person above me. The charactors werent likeable, there was no chemistry, there was very little plot (why did those bikers kidnap her anyway?) . Some of it was laughable like when she said "I cant believe you took money to come look for me!" to the guy she wenyt out with two years ago. Hello? Why not get mad at Rick Moranis, your current boyfriend?? Hahaha!

This movie could never had been made any time but the 80s. It just has that "anything goes even if it dont make sense" vibe. It thought itself very artsy I think.

By the way "research" taught me they thought there would be two more spin off movies but the movie wasnt a hit so no dice.

I guess the movie found its audience once it hit video?

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still love this movie and heck ya michael pare is smokin'.

mamamia, diane lane was just offended that he rescued her for the money. she was still hung up on him so that ****ed her off. haha

but i love mccoy! the music is great and the look of the movie is great. it's not an outstanding flick by any means but great for the 80s. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mamamiasweetpeaches, it can't be so bad if Leonard Maltin gives it three stars.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'm sad to think some people don't enjoy this movie. I freakin love it.
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Secret Admirer.. movie watching is totally subjective with so many factors that help define an individual experience it is easy to understand the difference in opinions.

"Streets of Fire" was a movie that tried to be different and it works for some of us, but fails for others as this thread expresses. As I said above.. I love this movie and always will. Best to play it loud and enjoy the ride!

Snagged the HD-DVD cheap and was impressed by the picture and incredible sound.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Best to play it loud and enjoy the ride!

Tonight is what it means to be young!  -
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scene of the man/woman dancing in the Bad Guys club always freaked me out.

Pare was a stud, but reached his massive peckness, I mean peakness in Eddie part 2.

It's most cool for all the good actors.

Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
That man woman was the person who REALLY did the dancing in FLASHDANCE. And, yeah, she was a she. Hahaha.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I may be alone here, but I never ever thought that the flat-chested short-haired dancer was anything but a woman.

If I recall right there was something of a fad in the mid-eighties for short-haired 'hard' looking women - Gozer / Brigitte Neilson (sp?) - that I rather liked.

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all........Logan I seriously think thats a man!! haha

I just rented this at my cool video place and it was in the "Cult-Classics" section.

I loved it and I am confused to everyone's totally split reactions??

The stars were great........Ronnie, Pare is smokin' for sure!

No one mention McCoy........Amy Madigan was awesome......"I told you your not my type"
When she was telling the story of her jerk before and "that was obviously before I was a soldier" hidden meaning of course! haha

It was beautiful visually from the minute it started to the neon lit rain on the concrete. So art deco/50's/ film noir......even felt like a comic book come alive on screen for how well shots were planned out.....I was wanted to be art director. [Smile]

The music was so unique.......it was sorta slow in parts but still kept me going. I really didn't need super explanation of the story like some.........to me it didn't feel like holes?

and Ronnie I got Ellen's line about the money also.......he disapeared after 2 years and of course she still held a flame for him.........that kiss in the rain.."What did I do that was so wrong?!" AWESOME!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoking!

-

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey i mentioned mccoy! haha i love her role...her and rick moranis's lines are hilarious. and when she challenges one of the bombers.."we're gonna play a little game...it's called lights out" - BAM! she decks him with her gun. [Big Grin]

for me, streets of fire and eddie & the cruisers are not only 2 movies with handsome pare, but both have great soundtracks, both containing original music.

and diane lane is gorgeous in streets as well. i love her cherry red tights..and her haircut. she reminds me of my mom who used to have her hair cut the exact same way throughout the 80s.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Did I mention that I love this movie?

-

[ 29. July 2010, 13:49: Message edited by: Valley ]

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once or twice [Razz]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home