iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » One of my Favorites........My Bodyguard (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: One of my Favorites........My Bodyguard
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

I've decided i'm off today and i'm going to watch one of my favorite 80's movies I haven't seen in a while.

It was wonderfully cast.......Matt Dillon the bully........Adam Baldwin the tough quiet guy.....and lovable Chris Makepeace........supporting roles with Joan Cusack (dorky girl haha) Martin Mull and Ruth Gordan as the spunky Grandma.

It's one of those movies that keeps you entertained it's funny, heartwarming, just awesome! i'm going to report back after i've watched it.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did I miss this one???

Love to hear more.....

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome flick! Every time I see Adam Baldwin on the show "Chuck" it makes me think of "My Bodyguard". Hidden gem most definitely!

I've always been a Chris Makepeace fan...I recommend "Aloha Summer" and "Vamp" for more Makepeace.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and for anyone going .. who's Chris Makepeace? Just think 'Rudy' from "Meatballs".
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It´s a great movie.
Featuring lots of familiar faces and a wonderful story.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie. I remember reading the book in 7th grade too. We had a really cool literature teacher- she has us reading stuff like The Outsiders, My Bodyguard, etc. And we used to play Jeopardy every Friday too. Good memories.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope for them to release special edition of this. A big favourite growing up.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love this film. You're making me wanna dig it out again too now [Smile]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching it for the first time in a few years.........I don't think I can stress how MUCH I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!

There are so many funny lines.......you grow so attached to the characters......I smiled, laughed,teared up........cheered them on.

I also thought back to a thread I made awhile ago about character entrances in movies........

you hear all about this kid Linderman after his name is called and he's absent on the first day........."the kid raped a woman........he killed a kid" when Linderman shows up in Class for the first time in the film he towers over everyone this tough looking sweet faced kid appears amidst whispering........him standing in the window of the door it was just well done.

I hated Moody so bad but just loved Linderman and Peachs friendship so much.

Ruth Gordan you have to love her......flirting with men......the scene at the table when she's reading Lindermans palm and grasps his hand "your among friends" Love it!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not seen this movie...(where's Earth Angel when you need her?), fortunately, Logan's dealing with the John Hughes thread and too busy to notice...I sense his imminent arrival, though.

Muffy, this is on my to see list. And speaking of John Hughes, the plot for My Bodyguard sounds identical to Drillbit Taylor.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Hey Moody! You owe me a year's worth of lunch money.". - as I run and hide behind Linderman..

If you've never seen it .. go find it!

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:
I've not seen this movie...(where's Earth Angel when you need her?), fortunately, Logan's dealing with the John Hughes thread and too busy to notice...I sense his imminent arrival, though.

Muffy, this is on my to see list. And speaking of John Hughes, the plot for My Bodyguard sounds identical to Drillbit Taylor.

Well, you can view it, Kash. Just visit ionwaxx's channel on YouTube.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Loverswith Cassie you area youtube promoter aren't you? haha I like Youtube but sometimes it sucks watching movies because you have to get up every 10 mins and find the next scene haha

so Yes Valley I love that scene.....Carson gives him the bird......it's so great......which lead me to look up that actor turns out that was his only movie ever. I found this cool Ebert review in the process.
Ebert's review

Love the beginning with Carson "feel under there for gum.....sometimes there's boogers..really gross......gotta watch out a kid got hepatitis" something like that hahaa

80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie! I have this on dvd too and watch from time to time. This is another one that I first saw in 8th grade study hall. They really showed us some great 80's flicks in that class: My Bodyguard, Ferris Bueller, Fire with Fire, Back to the Future, The God's Must Be Crazy.... to name a few. I absolutely couldn't stand Moody in this flick and loved when he got cracked at the end. Not just worth watching this, but worth buying this!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You sense right! I've already been here, though. But since you saw fit to announce the dog ate your VHS, so you haven't studied. I suggest 1 hour of revision here:

http://www.fast-rewind.com/Browse.htm

And that you follow LWC's sage (and onion) advice:

quote:
Well, you can view it, Kash. Just visit ionwaxx's channel on YouTube.
This one really is a B-grade (in terms of fame) movie, that should be A-grade. Its misfortune was that it predated the big video boom by a couple of years.

quote:
This is another one that I first saw in 8th grade study hall.
I officially declare the rewind - 80's grade study hall!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love this movie. it;s one of the 80's best films. i put it in the karate kid category of great 80's films.

i remember my mother took my brother and i and two friends to the movies. it was a theater that had two screens playing. the one movie was empire strikes back, which luckily i had already seen since it was sold out. so we saw my bodyguard instead. i thought this movie was hilarious. and of course it had rudy the rabbit and a young matt dillon, who i loved from over the edge. and whenever i see the guy who played the bodyguard in anything else i always think of this flick.

truly one of the 80's gems. a must see by everyone who loves 80's movies.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I am taking a vacation day tomorrow and I just got word that we are going to get blitzed by horrible snow storms. So my plan is to watch a few 80's flicks tonight and tomorrow.

After reading this thread...I upgraded my VHS of "My Bodyguard" to DVD. So it is on my list to watch tonight. I haven't watched this movie in years, so I'm excited to experience again.

aceofspades70
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6247

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for aceofspades70   Author's Homepage   Email aceofspades70       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that movie very well, what a great classic.
Posts: 90 | From: Nashville, TN. | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I watched it last night and the part where Moody has his newly hired bodyguard confront Linderman almost made me cry, but later it is all worth it.

And I agree that Ruth Gordon was awesome as Clifford's grandma.

I am shocked that Paul Quandt that played Carson is not mentioned more... he had me laughing throughout the movie.

Muffy..did you know that Principle Roth was Joan Cusack's dad?

Oh .. I have to go back and try to find out if that is really Jennifer Beals as one of Clifford's friends.

Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha....Kash you knew I hadn't seen it either didn't you...sssshhhh don't tell Logan, I will forge a note from my Mum.

I was initially horrified when I saw the title and thought Muffy was professing a love for the dross that is 'The bodyguard' - of Whitney and Kevin fame.....oh the relief when I realised that this wasn't the case.

This sounds a bit like the plot of Drillbit Taylor?????????

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of this one, but it sounds great will be seeking out a copy off ebay.
Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha yeah, joan cusack and jennifer beals are so funny (cute/awkward) in this.

This movie has a really great sense of humor all the way through. Very well done.

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this today for the first time...I really liked it. Also got to see "Hiding Out" for the first time. Two 80's classics in one day never happens in my life...a little under the weather with a cold and sinus headache, so my wife entertained our son for most of the day...still not sick enough that I couldn't propp my butt up in bed and watch 80's movies [Smile] . I'm on to something here...maybe I'll plan a sick day for next week too!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Okay Ferris!
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh Heh Heh.... [Wink] To too it all off...watched Secret Admirer with my wife last night. My Bodyguard, Hiding Out, and Secret Admirer...all in the same day...and my first time seeing each of them!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home