iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Summer School (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Summer School
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Now that the holidays are over, the winter doldrums are starting to set in..."Summer School" is the perfect 80's movie to brighten anyone's mood!

I remember this movie being shown on HBO all the time when I was a kid, but I didn't really get into it until I was in high school. IMO, this movie is right up there with "Breakfast Club" and "Can't Buy Me Love" but it seems to be lesser known. It really has all the ingredients of a perfect 80's teen movie. Teen pregnancy, a teacher/student romance (kind of), a smarmy villain, a foreign exchange student, and of course a happy ending. The soundtrack is amazing too...E.G. Daily anyone? Her song, "Mind over Matter" should have been a huge hit! Does anyone else share a love for this movie?

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Dave and Chainsaw and their summer long double crush on Anna-Maria. Sure they were a B-squad Bill & Ted, but they made me laugh. Loved when they ran into the room with killer bunnies latched onto their faces!

Mark Harmon has always been one of the most underrated actors (great in The Presidio & The West Wing), and was perfect as Freddy Shoop! He definitely should try his hand at a few more comedies sometime down the road.

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love your "Heathers" tribute screen name! Have you really been registered since 2003 and this only your second posting? Wow

"Summer School" is so underrated. Great cast of characters that meshed well for some great moments. I've always been a Shawnee Smith and Ken Olandt fan, but Dean Cameron (Chainsaw) and Gary Riley (Dave) make this movie so enjoyable to watch for me.

I have "Mind Over Matter" on my iPod and listen to it quite often!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon80sfan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 8491

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Shannon80sfan   Author's Homepage   Email Shannon80sfan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watch this the other night. i loved this movie. Chainsaw & Dave Made the movie!
Posts: 92 | From: Tennesseee | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Completely forgot about "Mind Over Matter"...must find it now!
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fell asleep to Summer School last night! Can't really sleep without the TV on, so I usually pop in a movie and doze off. Last night, the pick was Summer School!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, yes I've been registered forever but have just got around to posting! I have the whole Summer School soundtrack on my Ipod, but "Mind over Matter" is definitely the best song. Don't you just love Courtney Thorne-Smith's little Valley Girl moment too? "I'm so sure!"
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer School is definitely a cool movie.

Here´s a thread dedicated to Elizabeth "E.G." Daily:

http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=009065#000000

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have the LP soundtrack to Summer School in my mom's attic. Great movie.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JCWBob, is your mom's attic like the one in "The Goonies" or what? Isn't your "RAD" LP in that treasure chest too?
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome movie indeed! Bought it recently on dvd myself and gave it a watch for the hundredth time....never gets old.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to hit the Tower records in NYC late on Saturday nights and buy all the soundtracks they had in the clearance bin (I used to buy all the movie novelization books back then as well). I'll have to pull them all out when I get back from Disney World and make a list.
I definately have Summer School, Rad, Better Off Dead, and Labyrinth because I used to copy them to cassette and listen to them in my car.

I just checked a couple that I had taken out earlier this year to sell on Ebay but never did.

The Warriors
Return of the Living Dead (picture disc with Linnea Quigley naked on one side.)
Marx Brothers The Cocoanuts-Not an 80's movie but still cool to have.
Bugsy Malone
The Omen
Meatballs
The WWF Wrestling Album
Wrestling Rocks
Charlotte's Web (picture disc)

I also have some great movie memoribilia from the 80's that i'll have to make a list of and take some pictures to post.
Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Summer School' is definitely one of the 'B' classics of the 80's. It came out during the great 80's teen movie saturation period. I recall watching it and being pleasantly surprised (there was a lot of dreck at the time). It struck that golden balance by creating a movie where there are somewhat cliched characters who never really descend into caricature.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
Every night I go to my mom's to help put my grandmother to bed so I decided to check out my old room and grab something i've been meaning to bring to my house for awhile.

I got this back in the 80's when I worked in my first video store. It's a cloth hanging of Back to the Future with movie buttons all over it that I got when the movies were announced.

-

-

-

The movie buttons are:

ET
Batman
Batman Mask of the Phantasm
Back to the Future 2
Tales From the Crypt Demon Knight
Land Before Time
Dirty Dancing
In the Mouth of Madness
The Mangler
Tank Girl-2 different buttons
Star Trek 20th Anniversary 1966-1986
D*ick Tracy
Voodoo
Big Trouble
Say Yes
Dark Half
Gargoyles The Movie
Monster Squad
Little Shop of Horrors
Assassination
Unbearable Lightness of Being
From Beyond
Critters
Troll
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Let's Get Harry
Ishtar
Pinoccio
Rescuers Down Under
Brainscan
Wolf

Bob

[ 30. December 2009, 20:52: Message edited by: JCWBobC ]

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can watch "Summer School" on YouTube if any of you are interested. Javilare has the whole film posted on there.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past summer I was pretty surprised to find Summer School: Life's A Beach Edition on a $3 display at walmart... needless to say I immediately grabbed it and ran to the self checkout [Smile]

Awesome flick and $3 WELL spent!

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
the Life's a Beach edition rocks!!! Hopefully that one won't go out of print like the Valley Girl Special Edition did.
1badgmc
Rewinder
Member # 8501

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 1badgmc   Email 1badgmc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wife and I just watched this on DVD last night. After all these years, this movie never gets old.
Posts: 33 | From: WF, TX | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
I decided to look up what the Summer School soundtrack CD was selling for and couldn't believe it sells for $199 on Amazon and around $50 on Ebay.

Another one that sells for a surprising amount is the Back to the Beach soundtrack.

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this one can be pricey. Are you buying or selling, JCWBobC? It is a fantastic soundtrack.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Ice breaker...had to be done [Smile] !!!!

I love this movie...it's on right now in my living room, no lie!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
it's on right now in my living room, no lie!!

What? Cool! What part are you at?
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're in class and the song "Mind Over Matter" by E.G. Daily is playing...and Rhonda is going into labor!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
oh man! I love Mind Over Matter. "save the umbilical chord...and the afterbirth if it's convenient" hahaha [Smile]
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
I own the Summer School CD and Laserdisc so I was going to put them up on Ebay. I figured I would check completed listings to get an idea of what to start it at and couldn't believe their was only 1 up recently and it sold for $48. Then I checked Amazon and their is only 1 priced at $200.

Right now their are none on Ebay so mine is going up on Sunday. I'll also be putting some other rare CD soundtracks like Back to the Beach, More Music from Valley Girl, Stealing Home, Midnight Run, and more. Anyone interested can PM me for a full list.

Bob

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home