iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I watched "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" for the first time last night! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I watched "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" for the first time last night!
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
notice any other new things this time around? going and reading this again I totally fell for the "wait Deborah Harry is in the movie" DUH! So clever Valley. It's been awhile since i've seen this so maybe that means i'll watch it here soon [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
weird? I was reading some of the news this morning and this was on the left of my screen:

Fast Times stars 28 years later:

http://www.kirotv.com/slideshow/atthemovies/18995190/detail.html

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy that slideshow was awesome! It is scary to realize that the movie I watch last night was released 28 years ago. Wow..
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Muffy that slideshow was awesome! It is scary to realize that the movie I watch last night was released 28 years ago. Wow..

Don't. It's an abyss.

I realised a while ago that the breakup of Wham! was closer in timeline to now, than the Beatles first hit was to the breakup of Wham! then. The 60's seemed like another world back then, but the 80's seems like yesterday.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
logan5.. you make a great point.

It is sad that the best place to find 80's movies is now AMC which only seemed to show Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney movies when I was a kid.

I'm Spooked!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is sad that the best place to find 80's movies is now AMC which only seemed to show Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney movies when I was a kid.

I'm Spooked!

[Frown]
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally loved to watch this again last night!
Awesome characters, great music... Classic Movie!

How about you guys, some comments please [Cool]

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I love how I still notice little things I didn't before....like after the "shortcomings" scene...Linda and Stacy are cutting into a huge pepperoni!

Valley gets grossed out by bagels, Cindy freaking knows what other roles small actors played without cheating!

Ronnie is so much fun for girl talk [Smile] although no one joined in when I wanted to talk puffy vests?

I loved when Veronica said "Damone wanted to help....he was a wuss with heart"....and Logan I agree with you......."he seemed sleazy but not genuinely bad" That was probs our most serious convo. ha!!

I had alot of fun I know there tons of stuff i'm missing..........Atomik what did you notice?

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice pic. I love it. I always thought that if I changed my name, my last name would definitely be Spicoli.

"I know you, you used to work at All American Burger."

-

Definitely one of my favourite 80's movies.

-

"Hey bud, let's party!"

-

"No shirt, no shoes, no dice."

"I got a cigarette."

"I got uno nicklette."

-

I used to be assistant to the assistant manager at the the movies but most people couldn't smell my qualifications.

-

"Did you hear about the surfer guy who pulled a knife on Mr. Hand?"

I only noticed a couple of years ago that the thing sticking out Spicoli's pants was a bagle. I always thought it was some sort of strange contraption. I mean who walks around like that.

As much as I would love to chuck on side one of Led Zeppelin 4 when making out, most chicks won't go for it. Mind you if they did I would know I was with the right one. If they were down with some Phyical Graffiti that would be cool too. I dare say if I started getting frivelous with my Zeppelin consumption, I would end up going solo.

-

Is it just me, or should there have been a scene where Spicoli and Mr. Vargas spark up a blunt.

I decided that I am gonna watch this in bed in a bit before I go to sleep. I will see if I notice anything new but I really am not that observant when seeing movies. Sometimes I can watch a movie like a two hundred times and never notice particular things. It's been a while since I checked this out. Can't wait for the opening scene in about half an hour.

[ 30. April 2011, 09:26: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Muffy, first i thought that one of the girls on Spicoli´s wall was Dorothy Stratten
but i think that it was actually 1980 Playmate of the Month Martha Thomsen [Smile]
Love that scene with Mr. Hand.

One dude in our school had similiar style
but he had even more posters of nude girls, wall to wall actually [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I visited him a few times and it sure was one of a kind tapestry...

Last time i watched Fast Times, i wasn´t a big Pat Benatar fan
but i am now and own most of her cd´s.
It was cool that there was three girls who had the Benatar look.
BTW Benatar fans, "Between a Heart and a Rock Place A Memoir" out now.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't notice anything new in this movie last night even if I tried. Considering most of the film was a blur to me last night. One part I always do take notice to is the "Breaking oit of the Led" part though. I always crack up at that part. I once went out on a date with a chick who liked makin out to BOC music..thats when I thought I had just gone out with the single most awesome woman alive..anyway, that scene always takes me back to times like that..love it.=)
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I just watched it.

Mmm, didn't notice much:

I thought there was a lot more swearing than the previous times I watched it, but I think I must have watched rated versions.

I have seen versions were instead of Jefferson saying to Damone "Don't f... with it", he says mess instead of the f word.

Linda in other versions I have seen says that Mike Damone is a little pig instead of a little prick, also sometimes they don't show the scene where Damone walks out of a motel room and sees prick painted on the door of his car. Also why is he walking out of a motel room anyway?

Sometimes the nudity is cut out of the scene where Damone and Stacy do it. Also I have seen a version where the nudie pics on Spicoli's bedroom wall have been blurred out.

I only noticed this time around that the guy who holds up Mi T Mart was James Russo.

I have always noticed this but when that kid asks Damone about tickets doesn't Damone say Blue Oyster Colour instead of Blue Oyster Cult (that's what it sounds like to me anyway).

As full of s... as Damone is I would have to say that I think Robert Romanus was the best actor in the movie for sure. Damone is a very believable character.

The one big thing I did notice is how they made a conscious effort not to put anybodys parents in the movie. It was a truely 'for the teens movie.' Stacy and Brads parents were away. Ratner and Linda's parents don't even get a mention. Stacy only speaks to Damones mum but does not appear in the movie. They could have showed Spicoli's dad or something but just show his little brother. I thought it was great keeping the parents out of this one.

Oh yeah, if you don't own a pair of Spicoli's Vans shoes, you aint cool.

[ 30. April 2011, 12:46: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol @ judge reinhold jerkin off in the bathroom..
Posts: 199 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spiccolli was the father of the airhead characters in tv/movies.like saved by the bell.
Posts: 199 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
Also, whenever someone pulls into a gas station, I always take a look at the gas price. Mind-boggling. I was watching a movie the other day and a guy filled his car for like $10.00 or something. I started cracking up.

I was watching Die Hard for the millionth time and noticed toward the beginning when Sgt. Al Powell gets the call to go over to the Nakatomi building while at AM/PM, he goes outside to look at the building and you can clearly see gas was .74 cents a gallon!!! LOL!! =)
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Most of my observations from "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" are at the beginning of this thread, but it is somewhat of a new experience to watch it with other fans of the movie.

Similar to aTomiK..

-

For a fleeting lunchroom moment, the girls do ponder the fashion of 80's high school, marveling at an outfit worn by a spiky-haired girl across the cafeteria says, “Linda, that girl looks like Pat Benatar!” To which Linda replies, “I know. There are three girls here at Ridgemont who have cultivated the Pat Benatar look.”

-

It reminds of a cool memory for me... the picture above is actually from my high school yearbook from a Pat Benatar concert that I attend with a girl that dressed quite similar to her. This girl had the wicked look, but I found out at the concert she didn't quite have the voice to match. It seems to be a pattern for me. ha

One of the best parts of watching an 80's movie with friends is when they start pointing out all the cool fashion and mentioning the accessories. An example would be as simple as Linda's red swimsuit above and swimming in stylish 80's shades like Damone. Of course, it is helpful if you know how to swim, otherwise it might just be a pair of shades floating in the water. Did someone just yell for a Lifeguard?

[ 01. May 2011, 14:31: Message edited by: Valley ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home