iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I watched "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" for the first time last night! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I watched "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" for the first time last night!
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

As everyone knows, most of us have seen "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" numerous times over the years, but I truly engulfed myself in it last night and here are a few things I noticed:

1. I just want to start out by saying how cool the opening scenes are as they introduce you to most of the main characters. Totally love that arcade with Pac Man, Galaga, and Tempest to name a few favs.

2. First Nic Cage, sorry make that Coppola, sighting probably ever as he sticks a not so friendly note on a guy in front of the high school. Did you know they wanted him to play Brad, but he was only 17 at the time and child labor laws would have created issues.

3. So you wanna work at All-American Burger.....every high schooler's dream right?

4. I know that dude. Nice Izod green gator shirt Spicoli.

5. Thanks for the Sanka commerical Mr. Vargas.

6. Devo meet Damone - check out that poster on Damone's bedroom wall. On second thought 'got milk?', check out that spotted cow chair instead.

7. FYI...Stacy's address is 24124 (was that Sierra Vista?)

8. First subliminal message on the building - 'Wasted Youth' - Don't I know it.

9. Muffster, check it out....I'm so the cute Pacific Stereo store guy...either that or he borrowed my Datsun 280zx from high school to take Stacy on a date. Also, what happened to Matt? According to his message he was here in the dugout before Stacy and Ron Johnson arrived.

10. Another subliminal message...I'm starting to think Damone is behind them...nice Led Zeppelin artwork on the classroom door.

11. There's no birthday party for me. But why does a history class have math equations on the chalkboard?

12. I guess Perry from Perry's Pizza knew that Coke supported the war effort too, they only offer RC Cola.

13. Hey, in case you're new to the arcade...you can get change at W.C. Chicken.

14. Wow...another Damone subliminal message...boy sure knows how to push concert tickets...check out the kid with the Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

15. ha...that chick from "Night of the Comet" sure likes her cheerleading outfits. Oh and Ali_with_an_i, recognize her cheerleading partner Dina from "Sleepaway Camp 2" by chance?

16. Great cameo by Deborah Harry, but they could have at least given her one line don't ya think?

17. Rat!! Damone said side one of Led Zeppelin IV, not "Kashmir" you geek!

18. What is Damone watching on TV? Some kid hanging from a teacup and the funniest part is that he is upset he missed some of it.

19. Public Safety Announcement "People on ludes should not drive.'

20. Hi Linda. Could you keep it down, I have some work to do inside.

21. Hey, if you get hungry during history class I just found out that 'Pizza Guy' delivers ....555-8216.

22. Stacy's pool is a bit dangerous according to the sign 'No Lifeguard On Duty". Sorry Damone, I guess I was a little late with that info.

23. Hamilton despite your reservations, I totally think the Cap'n Hook outfit was working on Cameron Crowe's wife. Barracuda!

24. Great air guitar to Cheap Trick Damone.

25. Stacy, I just realized it wasn't Damone's fault he didn't come through with the $75. It was Rick Shasta for REO, Dina Phillips (Sleepaway 2 begins Ali), David Brandt for The Clash, and get this our very own Mark Ratner...huh?...that's right those are the people on Damone's collection sheet that owe him money.

26. Rat do you really think you are ever going to get a girlfriend if you keep wearing that Popeye t-shirt everyday?

27. Is it a bad sign when Jeff Spicoli sounds better than the lead singer of your band?

28. At least Spicoli finally got his birthday party! Brooke Shields and Van Halen!

[ 11. August 2008, 18:27: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I would say that Stacy's school picture at the end is one of the best school pictures I have seen. Ever.

I like your analysis. Great job.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Val, you are definitely one of a kind. How do you come up with this stuff? [Big Grin]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley you and your creative posts........you must have taken notes while you watched... [Smile]

I haven't watched it in awhile myself!

Seeing 16 Candles on the big screen was this way for me...like watching it for the first time....I noticed everything from the maxi nailpolish in Sam's locker to the weird DJ in the dance scene even though i've seen the movie a billion times.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Valley, do you always analyze movies like that when watching them for the first time? You...... (movie) FREAK! [Big Grin] [Wink]

I must have seen it a dozen times already and would you believe I never even noticed Deborah Harry’s cameo?

Nice work! Really. [Cool]

It makes me wanna watch it again 'right now' with your analysis beside me.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Valley...way to go on the details. You know I think of a million of those little things all the time when I watch my favorite 80's movies and I always wish I could discuss them with someone but none of my friends are going to get a kick out of knowing what the phone number is for the "Pizza Guy" or Stacey's street address.

I am so impressed!! I totally enjoyed reading your post!

P.S. Isn't Dina a/k/a "Spirit Bunny", actually Pamela Springsteen of Sleepaway Camp 2 fame and The Boss's sis??

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate you for pointing out to me that one of my favorite movies of all time had a debbie harry cameo and i never knew it.

although i don't analyze movies to this length, one stupid thing i like to do while watching movies from the 80's is what all the cars looked like back then. i don't know why, but looking at all the cars back then makes me nostalgic.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xchazx:
i hate you for pointing out to me that one of my favorite movies of all time had a debbie harry cameo and i never knew it.

although i don't analyze movies to this length, one stupid thing i like to do while watching movies from the 80's is what all the cars looked like back then. i don't know why, but looking at all the cars back then makes me nostalgic.

I just had a friend recently say to me...."you ever notice the cars in older movies in New York?? they were always big tanks.......never cars you'd really see now like little beemers... haha"
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked the Nancy Wilson of Heart fame and her cameo in this movie.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow valley, i didn't know you've never seen fast times.
good analysis, *hi-five*

but what did you really think of the movie? i like the movie myself, but it's not at all a favorite of mine. i don't even own it!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant that he saw it last night 'on another level'.... I think!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh teehee, i see. whoops. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by xchazx:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">I just had a friend recently say to me...."you ever notice the cars in older movies in New York?? they were always big tanks.......never cars you'd really see now like little beemers... haha"

i do the same thing. i don't know why, but i always check out the cars from movies from the 70's/80's. also notice that there are no SUV's to be found anywhere.

and cars back then sure as hell were tanks.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAYLEE:
I think he meant that he saw it last night 'on another level'.... I think!

quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
... but I truly engulfed myself in it last night and here are a few things I noticed:

quote:
Originally posted by Nowheregirl:
oh teehee, i see. whoops.

Didn't notice that either, till now. *slaps himself*
Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aruba4me
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6258

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aruba4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley in reference to your "things you noticed", I can give you an answer to #18. Damone is watching "Leave it to Beaver". It's a classic episode when Beaver, at Whitey's urging, climbs up into a soup bowl billboard advertisement and gets stuck in there! I love how Damone is so engrossed in that show. Hilarious! Too bad for Damone TiVo wasn't around at that time!
Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the awesome replies! I do need to apologize for some confusion I created while I was having fun with it all. The answer is yes I've seen "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" several times and I was just trying to put a new spin on. Also, I was totally joking about the Deborah Harry cameo, I was referring to Damone's five point plan and how he used the Deborah Harry standee in front of the record store to demonstrate.

Muffy - you have no idea how close I was to watching "Sixteen Candles" instead....probably the stereo guy chat the other day and The Galleria is why I stuck with Fast Times.

Cindy - you are absolutely correct about Dina being Pamela Springsteen. My clue for you was going to be "wanna be Modern Girls DJ", but I went for Sleepaway 2. Also, check out the Springsteen bumper sticker on Brad's car next time you watch it.

Sam - Hopefully that means you enjoyed my Barracuda reference then.

Aruba4me - Thanks for the info on "Leave it to Beaver", I couldn't figure out what show was on Damone's tv.

Thanks again everyone for the replies, it was actually fun watching the movie this way.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually I missed the Barracuda reference upon my first reading. see it now and yes she is/was? married to crowe.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another cool thing to do when watching movies from the past - keep your eyes on the prices of things when people go into stores and things like that. The low costs will blow your mind. Also, whenever someone pulls into a gas station, I always take a look at the gas price. Mind-boggling. I was watching a movie the other day and a guy filled his car for like $10.00 or something. I started cracking up.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by NowhereGirl:
wow valley, i didn't know you've never seen fast times.
good analysis, *hi-five*

but what did you really think of the movie? i like the movie myself, but it's not at all a favorite of mine. i don't even own it!

Wow NowhereGirl, we are usually all over the same movies, so I'm shocked that Jeff Spicoli is not a fav. This movie and "Say Anything" made me a huge Cameron Crowe fan. Then I later found the underrated "Wild Life". Plus the non-80's overused now quotefest "Jerry Maguire", but I will say "Almost Famous" still rocks.

Oh and 80'sRocked - I can't explain where my stuff comes from, I just try to have fun and hope everyone enjoys the ride.

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:

Oh and 80'sRocked - I can't explain where my stuff comes from, I just try to have fun and hope everyone enjoys the ride.

I hope you realize that I meant all that as a compliment. Your knowledge and viewpoints on 80's movies is quite impressive. Keep having fun and giving us all the "entertainment." [Wink]
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that Valley sure has a unique way of watching a movie...I am still trying to pick up the Cindy Crawford name on the credit card in Valley Girl...and I never catch it. Some of these things...you have to print his list out to remember them all.

I love Fast Times...I haven't watched it in awhile either.

I always look at cars too...but the one thing I really notice is the way people's homes look in the 80's...like Stacey's bedroom...that looked like my bedroom in the 80's. I think it is so cool that they went to the trouble of assembling a photo album for her to show Ratt...and I love that there's an actual picture of her and Brad in the living room...in different clothes and a younger hairstyle than what they are in the movie...so it really does feel like it is their real house.

I love seeing how people's bedrooms were decorated.

I always wonder if they used someone's real house in those movies.

Cindymancini and I were just talking about that recently...how 80's movies were so cool...because they felt like they weren't filming a movie...like in Valley Girl...the scene where they are dancing and trying on lingerie and the younger sister bumps the record and makes it skip...that is so spontaneous ...but someone wrote the movie to be that way...and that's what is so cool. It makes it have that realism to it...that I think is the main thing lacking today.

In new movies everything looks so staged.

All the little details are what really do make watching a movie like Fast Times... make it never get dull and boring.

How about Mr. Pizza Guy himself....he's
Jennifer Jason Leigh's boyfriend in the movie "Easy Money".

[ 12. August 2008, 19:45: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:

How about Mr. Pizza dude himself....he's
Jennifer Jason Leigh's boyfriend in the movie "Easy Money".

Hahahaha....yeah that's right...I never really thought about that....good one Isis [Smile] !!!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Always a pleasure Valley... [Wink]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Always a pleasure Valley... ;)It's "casual"...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watching "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" in HD. The Sherman Oaks Galleria is buzzing in all its 80's awesomeness!

First of all Rat, you never let on how much you like a girl. "Oh, Debbie. Hi." Two, you always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it." Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't this great?" Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice." And five, now this is the most important, Rat. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home