iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Mannequin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mannequin
stu1984
Master Rewinder
Member # 3248

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for stu1984   Email stu1984   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched this movie this morning, and it's excellent !! A really good romantic comedy.

Andrew McCarthy is great in this role and Kim Cattrall puts in an equally good performance. She is also very beautiful [Big Grin]

James Spader does a good job playing the sleezy Vice President (or whatever position it is) trying to get the owner to sell the store. Is it me, or does he remind you of Rik Mayall with some of the facial expressions in this movie ??

Hollywood is a cool character, with a unique sense of fashion and some really cool shades.

Captain Felix Maxwell played by G.W. Bailey is brilliant playing the idiot security guard with his dog Rambo (I call him Rambo because he likes to draw first blood [Big Grin] ) and later on Terminator.

If you haven't seen it, buy it and if you have then watch it again [Big Grin]

It's now on my neverending list of movies to buy on DVD.

Posts: 226 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Malster
Master Rewinder
Member # 2411

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Malster   Email The Malster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that on Sky too! Excellent movie.
Posts: 293 | From: London, England | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Mannequin is one of my all time favorites. I LOVE this movie and never get sick of it. It really takes me back in time and truly captures that whole late 80's era. I've actually driven by the real store that was Prince & Co. and where Andrew McCarthy first sees Emmy in the window. It's in downtown Philadelphia. I've also found out where the store that was Illustra is located. I'm planning on doing a Mannequin movie location day trip at some point. I can't wait and you know I'll take pictures! [Razz]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stu1984
Master Rewinder
Member # 3248

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for stu1984   Email stu1984   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool !! Be sure you post up the photos when you do [Big Grin]

I'd love to win some money and go visit all the locations of the movies I like.

Posts: 226 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool Movie. Oh! and of my Favorites oh and the Starship Song "Nothing gonna Stop us Now"

Andrew McCarthy was so cute in this one! [Big Grin]

There's a second movie called Mannequin on the Move but it's not worth your time.

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mannequin 2 is a travesty and should never be spoken about in polite society......Mannequin however is a brilliant film..."Roxy...you look FOXY"
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think Hollywood made this an even greater movie than what it already was...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stu1984
Master Rewinder
Member # 3248

Member Rated:
Yeah, I heard that the second one was, errr.... terrible.

Hollywood was the only one from the original movie to star in it wasn't he ??

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started watching it last night....I love the song that they dance to when they change outfits...

I like how it starts....where it says "A long time ago, sometime after lunch....

that's funny.

I LOVE the clothes! I would die to go back in time to that store and go shopping. I loved those blazers...I had tons of them...you never see girls wearing a light weight jacket any more, you never see girls wearing dresses either.

There were times that the actual mannequin looked exactly like Kim Catrall, and other times she didn't look anything like her, so that was weird.

I loved the window displays...I love department stores, and that whole feel, you don't see that anymore either.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stu1984
Master Rewinder
Member # 3248

Member Rated:
WOW 9000 post ISIS [Eek!]

Yeah I thought that the mannequin was a really good likeness at times, and then others, not so much.

abigail
Rewind Curious
Member # 5170

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for abigail   Email abigail   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this movie.One of my favorite romantic movies.
Posts: 4 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Nov 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a prime example of how good casting can greatly elevate a script with otherwise ridiculous elements. There is a pretty strong chemisty between Catrall and McCarthy (love the look on his face when she first comes to life), perhaps not the most romantic screen relationship in the 80s, but far removed from being the worst. G.W. Bailey (has he ever played ANY character that doesn't wear a badge and/or uniform? At least Steve Guttenberg could rest easy for this once) brings the same level of demented lunacy he had while chasing down the members of the Police Academy and Johnny-5, while James Spader does a fabulous turn as--well, James Spader. Casting's always a tricky little bit to undertake, but if you play your cards just right you just might get something like this.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
I'm planning on doing a Mannequin movie location day trip at some point. I can't wait and you know I'll take pictures! [Razz]

We'd love to put the Pics up on the Rewind too Cindy [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I actually got to go past Illustra around Halloween. I was on my way to Gettysburg, PA and drove right past the Boscov's Dept. store in Camp Hill that was used as Illustra. I almost lost it. I know that sounds sad but I was actually really excited. I saw the entrance where Hollywood pulls up with the caddy. So awesome. Unfortunately, we didn't stop cause we had to be somewhere but I got a glimpse and I will go back and take pics. I'm going inside too!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a movie I saw in the theatre and didnt think much of, then when they started playing it on television it sort of grew on me.
I remember when my nephew was about 5 years old he used to beg my mom to rent it and MANNEQUIN 2 (which i've never seen) because he thought Hollywood was so funny.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hollywood's about the only thing worth watching Mannequin 2 for.

Otherwise, imagine eating a BLT (hold the bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo, extra cheese) and you get what this very poor sequel feels like.

Mannequin 1, however - excellent!

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willow
Master Rewinder
Member # 4953

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Willow   Email Willow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a lot of grief from my older sister for liking this movie. But I don't care. It's a fun movie!
[Big Grin] I love it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 105 | From: Indiana | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chucky
Rewinder
Member # 4575

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chucky   Email Chucky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant film...............i can watch it again and again.
The soundtrack is great, just wished they had released it.

Posts: 36 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elvira Is My Real Mother
Rewind Curious
Member # 5064

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Elvira Is My Real Mother   Author's Homepage   Email Elvira Is My Real Mother   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Manuquin. I haven't seen the second one though. Are the same actors in it?
Posts: 10 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No - only Meshach Taylor (Hollywood). The rest are all pretty much forgettable - only really recall Kristy Swanson, who was the original Buffy in the movie version.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Mannequin so many times in the 80s that i got bored
and now just bought it again.
It´s a good movie and the actors are excellent.

This dance scene/montage sure is pure 80s magic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmZxPYJlW8

Here´s the classic Starship video:

Nothing´s Gonna Stop Us Now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PP1HEFlkdY&NR=1&feature=fvwp

-

-

Next: Mannequin: On the Move [Smile]

[ 29. February 2012, 10:05: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim Cattrall... What an absolute darlin, I love that woman!!! [Smile]
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a lot of stick off my brothers for the amount of times I rented this. [Embarrassed]

That cover picture doesn't do Kim Cattrall justice.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home