iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Prince FANS Purple Rain Drum Questions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prince FANS Purple Rain Drum Questions?
raygunxyz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1045

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raygunxyz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey
I was watching PURPLE RAIN the other day and while they playing LET'S GO CRAZY I notice that the drummer has a drum making the, what I like to call the Prince drum sound it is also on When Doves Cry, 1999, and others. The sound is like 2 pieces of wood hitting. What is it called, I thought it was sound made by a synth-set. I know this is a weird and vague topic, but I would love to get my hands on it.
Eric

Posts: 84 | From: Bakersfield, Ca, USA | Registered: Aug 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry.. I don’t know the answer either. Isn’t there something like synth drums to create a sound like that?
Most likely TMFKAP (The Mod Formerly Known As PaulS) knows… As I recall correctly he is the drummer of the band he plays in.

The drums in Prince’s music have a huge impact in what makes his style so incredibly funky. It’s hard if not impossible to just sit still listening to it. Especially his 80’s repertoire.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are drum machines that create those types of sounds as well. i am not sure if prince's drummer used a drum set for the actual studio recordings of songs like WHEN DOVES CRY & LET'S GO CRAZY.
their other keyboard player from THE REVOLUTION (dr. fink was his name, i think)....was also responsable for a lot of the different sounds heard in their music, such as the 16-beat heard at the beginning of and throughout I WOULD DIE 4 U.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lastdaysofrain
Master Rewinder
Member # 2542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lastdaysofrain   Author's Homepage   Email Lastdaysofrain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that the drums were "triggered"
Posts: 125 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raygunxyz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1045

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raygunxyz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking was all drum triggers, maybe one day I can find the drum brain they used for those songs. THANKS for all your help
Posts: 84 | From: Bakersfield, Ca, USA | Registered: Aug 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you a drummer, then, raygun?

Here is a discussion I found about the Linn LM-1, a drum synth used on the album 1999 and possibly Purple Rain:

http://www.prince.org/msg/7/62102

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting post, I asked my drummer buddy about this sound and he said he is going to check it out tonight when he listens. anyone here ever purify themselves in the lake of mini taha?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raygunxyz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1045

Member Rated:
Hey
Thanks for the links, yes I am a drummer. I hope I can get something that make a similar sounds, so I can mess around with it
Eric

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home