iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Valley Girl (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Valley Girl
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone fill me in on Valley Girl? I thought that I knew every 80's movie ever made but apparently this one escapes me. Can anyone fill me in on why it seems to crop up in everyone's favourite's list?
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its on my list cuz it's cute and the soundtrack is really really good.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its on my list b/c it really captures the 80s plus the story is great and the soundtrack is totally awesome [Smile] and if u buy the dvd its really cheap on ten bucks definitly worth having in any 80s collection
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because if i had to pick one movie to depict the '80s it would be VALLEY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The Music....The Fashion...The Language [Cool] And this movie just might be the best version of Romeo & Juliet ever told. And i still say it's the B E S T!!! romantic comedy to date!!!!. Valley Girl is Near & Dear to me because it really expresses the "Power Of Love"--That nothing on this Earth(even Tommy)can stop the Power Of Love shared by two individuals. Valley Girl also deals with "issues" that Teens where forced to deal with in High School--Peer Pressure,Sex,Freedom of choice,etc. And all in all it's just a GREAT movie!!!!!!!!! They don't make romantic comedy's like this anymore...They try! but it's not the same.
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh, you haven't heard of this one!! Well it is an absolute favorite on this site for sure dude!! You must check it out, it is available on DVD. It even has behind the scenes commentary from the director and Nicolas Cage.

I am sure that if you see it, you will become addicted!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my favorite, for most of the same reason that C.T. said. It just totally captures the 80's, and I can remember dressing like that, and hanging at the mall with my friends- shopping for those kind of clothes, talking about boys, and not having a care in the world.

Back when all the parties at your friends houses, where you were even in high school..and the parents were around to chaparone.

And of course, the whole falling in love between Randy and Julie. If you have ever been there,you can relate to it, it totally captures it on film.

You gotta see it, and then come back, we'll have lots to talk about.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kat, one Skip Tip (you'll understand the Skip thing after watching the movie) and I'll make it Isis quick...purchase Valley Girl and watch it this weekend. If you don't like it then C.T. will gladly give you your money back. It's called the "C.T. Eaten By The Monster Of Love Guarantee"...if you read the fine print on the new member rules it's there. So how can you go wrong. If you like looking for cool stuff while you watch the movie, then check out "I watched Valley Girl For The First Time Last Night" thread. Good viewing Kat!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You watch it and you'll know why we all love it so much. I saw it 3 or 4 times in the theater and have watched it at least 100 times over the years on vhs and now DVD.
Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..........and if you DONT like it after the first viewing give it another chance. I find that is grows on you. The more you watch it the better you appreciate it.
(Like fine wine!)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much everyone! I am heading to my video (probably showing my age with that term)store this weekend and hiring Valley Girl. I can't believe that I have never heard of it? We thought that we were totally up with American pop culture but obviously we are not. From what I can ascertain it is up there with the best of them - Pretty in Pink; St Elmo's Fire; The Breakfast Club; Sixteen Candles; Flashdance; and lots more. Thanks for the info.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniac
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3858

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for maniac   Author's Homepage   Email maniac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you live in Australia, Kat, I should point out, that as this hasn't been released in R4, I don't think you'll find this one in the DVD section.

Also, depending upon the store you rent it from, it may also be under the alternative video title of "Rebel Dreams".

Just a heads-up in case you have difficulty finding it. [Smile]

Rob.

[ 16. April 2005, 23:29: Message edited by: maniac ]

Posts: 17 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've watched it about 2-3 times a year for about a decade. Any reason why it holds up so well?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
I've watched it about 2-3 times a year for about a decade. Any reason why it holds up so well?

Good question for me too Rip. I only saw it once and I think it was pretty good. I don't see all the hype as far as being put on such a high pedestal. Personal preference I guess and I'm sure there's some nostalgia factor too for some people. I'd love to hear their take on it.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you guys see the Teen Special on VH-1-the top 100 Teen Stars where Deborah Foreman was on there, and she said when she did Valley Girl she had no idea that it would make money or get to cult status...

I think it holds up because it is classic on the boy/girl thing....how your friends can be a pain and put pressure on you to date a certain guy, and the whole being in a click thing with the right friends and the right clothes...that never seems to change.

Everyone goes through that at some point.

I like this movie, because all the people in it are so cool and they are funny...and they did a really great job with the acting. The parents are so great...

I really need to watch it again soon.

We should pick a night to watch it, and we'll all watch it together....how about it?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for a viewing night for Valley Girl, I'll even drag strangers off the street just for them to see it!

I can't explain the charm of this movie, incredible soundtrack, new wave fashions, romeo and juliet themes, punk vs. preppy, it's got it all on a shoestring budget too.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, "Valley Girl" isn't just a movie, but instead a portal into the memories that I cherish from the 80's. It intertwined a totally awesome love story with a killer soundtrack, then it added in the unique Val speak and all the incredible fashion which all combined for the ultimate 80's experience in my opinion.

On the surface, I can totally respect someone that views "Valley Girl" as just another high school romance flick, because so much about movie watching directly correlates with timing, personal taste, and the proper mood.

There are several people on here that enjoy "Valley Girl" for different reasons and on different levels. Hopefully, others will share their reasons as well.

Here's is my best way to explain "Valley Girl" on a personal level for me:

You know some of those 'perfect' nights you use to have when you were young and you've spent most of your life trying to recapture thoses emotions and feelings again?

Well, watching "Valley Girl" reminds me of those nights and that is why it is so sacred to me.

Love My Way

Valley

"That chick Julie, she's truly dazzling."

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great responses guys. That's what I needed to hear....the why. The soundtrack is pretty bitchin'. I'm up for the Valley Girl watch night.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Pick a Night, and I am there.

I remember going "parking" with my high school boyfriend and my cousin and my boyfriend's brother....and we got caught in the high school parking lot...by the cops one night...it was like out of a scene in Valley Girl.

We had the pool parties and the dance parties at my house.

We had so much fun. So, I can totally picture parts of that movie in my own life too.

Hanging at the Mall with my girl friends, checking out the cute guys. We use to hang at the Tastee Freeze and Fox's Pizza. It was just like in the movies.

I can remember watching Valley Girl on HBO in the 80s, and it was on all the time, and it makes me think of my life then.

I get really nostalgic about the 80s this time of year more than any time, because I think of how much fun I had around Christmas time in the 80s, and all the fashion stuff...and we always went to the malls at Christmas, and snuck in to the matinees. It was so much fun.

The music to Valley Girl is so great.

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Pick a Night, and I am there.

Let's wait til tomorrow to see if anyone else wants to watch it too.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Okey dokey.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I'm up for that, Habs-Hurricanes is on though so I might have to work around that.

Imagine Isis that you had a California X-mas back then w/o any snow, could you imagine it?

jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta watch Valley Girl again... I'm in!

Valley,

I feel you man. I have a couple of rare movies that make me feel the same way. Valley Girl is one of them... [Wink]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
I'm up for that, Habs-Hurricanes is on though so I might have to work around that.

Naturally, hockey comes first for me too!
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
So...what night??? How about Friday night?

Riptide...I think it would stink to not have snow at Christmas. We are getting a bunch of snow right now, and it looks beautiful.

I guess you get use to the warm weather at Christmas. If I lived in California, I'd go to the mountains for Christmas...you can drive to them from there.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Friday night sounds good. Everyone have the first edition with all the special features? It ticks me off to no end that new purchasers can't access that stuff.

We have lost a lot of the snow the past few days, it's more like crusty ice now. Oh well.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home