iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What was the first video you rented? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What was the first video you rented?
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh it's not check mate love, merely check. There are so many moves we COULD take from here. I love a scandal as much as the next person but perhaps we should end our friendly rivalry here? Agree with you that you were most probably deprived as a child and have very little memory of anything else. Game, set and match darling. Love your wonderful, wise and totally contemptable sister! P.S. you are probably right with the grease thing but there were several others. What about 'Doctors' or 'The Girls of St Trinians?' or 'The Neverending Story'?
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adriana
Rewind Curious
Member # 4090

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Adriana   Email Adriana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first VHS video I saw was a Christmas present. It was Young Sherlock Holmes (1985, I think). I LOVED it and I was so excited that I could watch it anytime I wanted. I watched it every day. I STILL love that movie but no one else has ever seemed to know what movie I am talking about. Maybe someone here will know it.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do. Thanks to AMC showing it a couple of years ago, I've been hooked as well. It's a prime example of how Chris Columbus was a great writer before he became a great director. Good thing the Wright Brothers didn't get to see they were actually coopted out of the first flight. Is there any DVD petitions going around fori t, because I'd sign it.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Young Sherlock Holmes' was a childhood favourite. It's funny that it isn't well remembered.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would have been "Breaking Away", two years before we had a VCR.
Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rancid
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4108

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Rancid   Email Rancid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using a borrowed VCR for the weekend it was "Risky Business" & "Into The Night"

On our own VCR it was "THE NEW KIDS"

Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah! I like this topic. I remember long, long ago when I watched The Hobbit cartoon movie on video, and that was one of the first my family rented.

It also could've been The Last Unicorn. Yeah, I know, my family rented very disturbing anime films for me to watch as a tot.

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigworld
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3107

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bigworld   Email bigworld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The film I watched all the time when I was younger was Enid Blytons Island of Adventure

I watched it every day and it drove my Mum mad [Big Grin]

I still have a copy, copied from Betamax to VHS and the theme tune can still make her angry [Smile]

I would love to get a better copy of this does anyone remember it?

It probabally wasn't shown in the states (Bill was played by an actor from Emerdale Farm!!!!)

Posts: 58 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first 2 movies I ever watched on home video were the comedies - airplane and monty python's - the life of brian.

[ 23. February 2015, 00:46: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ghostbusters was the first movie. It was 1985 when we rented it.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really can`t recall the first movie I rented. I do have vivid memories of waiting waiting waiting to rent Wrestlemania 3....man that was hard to get. Finally got my hands on a copy and watched it over and over.....great memories....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first home video experience was Kind Hearts and Coronets with Alec Guinness which I picked up on VHS from a drive-through photo-developing store called Fotomat, circa 1979. Very few folks remember those things, but at one time, there were thousands of these little booths across the U.S. and just about every decently sized town had one. Drive-through movie rentals! Some things were just years ahead of their time. Here we are not even 40 years later, and not only are Fotomats extinct, but film developing is too. And video rental stores are headed there soon.

[ 13. April 2015, 20:33: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't the first movie i ever saw on home video.. but the first one i ever took home myself, was..

-drum roll-

REVENGE OF THE NINJA !

It was april 1986 and my life was changed forever.
(for the better or for worse depends on one's point of view) [Big Grin]

Funny thing : Revenge Of The Ninja gets a blu-ray release next month.. so i guess that means i've come full circle ! [Cool]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think it was the Golden Child with ed murphy
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must have been The Octagon, Robbers of the Sacred Mountain or Acapulco Gold.

My father was working in the local electric and plumbing company. They had also home appliances for sale there and yes, they rented VHS tapes.
VHS were everywhere back in those days [Cool]

So, my father worked there as a plumber and we practically got to see films for free, not a bad deal!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Return to oz. The wheelers freaked me out and still do a little
Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolenz85
Senior Rewinder
Member # 10835

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dolenz85   Email Dolenz85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first video I ever rented (well my mother rented) was The Elephant Man with John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins. I was allowed to bring some friends over as the VHS Ferguson Videostar was new and it was an opportunity to show it off, although the choice of film was hardly kid-friendly!
Posts: 78 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Dolenz85!
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly sure the first movie that was rented in our house, by my parents, was Raiders of the Lost Ark. We got our first VCR in 1981 or 82. I couldn't tell you the first video I rented myself. I didn't have an account until the early 90's, at the local grocery store, Giant Eagle. I remember my Dad used to rent most of the videos at Phar Mor, but we also had a great little locally owned shop, and he had a great selection. He'd also give you a call if you wanted to reserve a movie; he'd let you know it was in and to come pick it up.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home