iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » British 80's movies (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: British 80's movies
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen Clockwise but i remember my brother once said that it´s fun stuff but watching it makes you feel uneasy [Big Grin]
I´m finally going to pick it up and check it out, the dvd goes dirt cheap here.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gandhi is a brilliant movie! Then again, so is Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big Anglophile when it comes to British movies, many of which are fantastic.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok everyone, help me out. I'm newly a fan of British movies. I should have figured this out sooner, but I love subtle humor and British shows/movies seem to do that well. I also love 80's movies. But I have not really seen any British 80's movies. What would you suggest for movies for me to initially watch (the best of the best)? I tend to like light hearted comedies or laugh out loud comedies. I'm open to anything, so if there are some other must sees, please let me know! Thanks!
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Top Ten favorite 80s British comedies, no particular order:

Anything by director Bill Forsyth: Gregory's Girl, Local Hero, and my favorite of his stuff, Comfort and Joy. When he was at the top of his game, this Scottish director made some of the best UK films.

Monty Python's Meaning of Life, while not their best film, is still pretty hilarious.

A Fish Called Wanda--John Cleese and Michael Palin from Python, along with Jamie Lee Curtis and an Oscar-winning performance from Kevin Kline. Very, very funny, though not always in the best of taste.

A Private Function and The Missionary--two droll, very low-keyed Michael Palin period pieces with a lot of chuckles.

Educating Rita, probably the best rom-com from the UK during that era with great performances from Michael Caine and Julie Walters.

Withnail and I, the cult classic.

And finally, my guilty pleasure, Morons from Outer Space. Stupid, but funny.

[ 30. June 2016, 18:44: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good list! The British film industry had more or less died by the 80's with only a few independent producers making the occasional movie (George Harrison's Handmade Films was one of them).

I'll add 'Wilt' to the list... and maybe 'Restless Natives'.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good list of comedies provided there by Crash. Any or all of those are certainly worth a gander.

Here's one I'd add to it..

The Missionary (1982)
 -

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4kypA83mM

[ 30. June 2016, 19:34: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not comedy, but The Long Good Friday (1980) and Mona Lisa (1986), both starring the late Bob Hoskins, are superb !

Lots of cool cult flicks came out of the UK in the late 60s / early 70s such as Herostratus (1967), Privilege (1967),
Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush (1968), Permissive (1970), and Deep End (1970)..
and if that still isn't "cult-ish" enough, the cinema of Jane Arden and Jack Bond was really pushing the boundaries !

But like Crash already mentioned, you just can't go wrong with Gregory's Girl (1981) and Withnail And I (1987). [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying to dive in to a few of these. I have seen a few Monty Python movies and I've seen a few parts of A Fish Called Wanda. Have always wanted to actually watch it someday. If there are more on peoples "must see" list, let me know.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Ignore Guest House Paradiso as that is not 1980s (saying that neither is Life Of Brian) though there both good fun all the same,but here's a few random picks of my shelf!

From these I especially love The Life Of Brian,The Company Of Wolves and Restless Natives but also find the Monster Club and The Rachel Papers to be very enjoyable and might I add slightly underatted!

Some really great mentions here with a fair few I've yet to see,i would love to watch Comfort And Joy and A Private Function,also The Missionary and Withnail And I and I've always been curious of Morons From Outer Space as it got ripped apart by the critics upon it's original release but has built up a much better reputation over the following years!

Also a couple of honourable mentions

Water (1985) - another that got slated but I quite enjoy.

Rita Sue And Bob Too (1987).

[ 01. July 2016, 14:06: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home