iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » British 80's movies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: British 80's movies
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching "Party Party" and ohmigod how British is this? it's a cringeworthy road accident, you can't help but sit there and gawp at it! about halfway though I realised I've seen it before, the bit with Caroline Quentin trying miserably to drown herself in the bath but keeps coming back up for air (I'm starting to think the list of films I haven't seen is smaller than the list of films I have seen), I did enjoy it though and can reccomend it to anyone wanting to watch something that screams 'early 80s teenage new years party in England' [Smile]

As for my comment about Clockwise I was dragged off to see it in the cinema because the father of one of the kids in my brother's class who we knew was the motorcyclist that gave a lift to someone in the film. I sat there for almost the entire length of the film squirming because I just can't stand that particular style of comedy, if I could have I would have walked out halfway through but would have had to wait outside to get a lift back home (I was 13 and the cinema is 8 miles from home)

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara
Rewinder
Member # 1697

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for sara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok i just remembered one person who was in the movie " the rachel papers" it had james spader in it , but i guess that dosent make it a british movie , but they were in england. [Razz]
Posts: 40 | From: arlington tx | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banshee
Master Rewinder
Member # 1829

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Banshee   Email Banshee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ok i just remembered one person who was in the movie " the rachel papers" it had james spader in it
Only one? What about Jonathan Pryce, Ione Skye (yes that Ione Skye) and Dexter 'Press Gang' Fletcher. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 125 | From: Surrey, U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara
Rewinder
Member # 1697

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for sara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well , i have only seen it once and that was a while ago the only one i could remember is james spader. but i guess i am just forgetfull. it was still a pretty good movie.
how does it end , i cant remember exactly? [Confused]

Posts: 40 | From: arlington tx | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is Aussie, but anyone seen this one? Around the World in 80 Ways.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0092581/

It has some enthusiastic views, just wanted to know others 2 cents worth.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pre-becoming a mom in '87, I was so into the current independent film scene, so thanks for jogging my memory of all those good Brit Films -- Local Hero, Dance With a Stranger, etc. -- from back in the day.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"An American oil company sends a man to Scotland to buy up an entire village where they want to build a refinery.
But things don't go as expected." (IMDb)

Watched this wonderful film called Local Hero (1983) today.
The movie was written and directed by Bill Forsyth who also did the Rewind classic Gregory´s Girl. GG star John Gordon Sinclair has a small role in Local Hero.
The cast is great and i liked the low tempo especially after the ultra fast paced Outrageous Fortune [Smile]
Few totally magical scenes, great characters and a nice soundtrack composed by Mark Knopfler. I highly recommend this british classic!
PS, i was so happy to hear the fact that they named an asteroid after actor Burt Lancaster's Happer character in this movie who is keen on astronomy.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not seen local hero in god knows how many years,another one I need to check out again,I've never seen Forsythe's comfort and joy whatsoever.

I've seen dance with a stranger though and have the Rachel papers on DVD which I like a lot,especially Ione skye,she was a hottie back in the day!

I like restless natives a lot,that was a lot of fun,can't remember much from clockwise which has also been mentioned here .

I need to check some of these 80s Brit flicks out again.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I love this!

Now I just need to get round to watching the movie..

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comfort and Joy is my favorite Bill Forsythe film. It's a quaint little film which is very funny, and, I think, ultimately very moving. I think that it's even better than Local Hero, which most consider to be his masterpiece.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gregory's Girl .. Gregory's Girl .. Gregory's Girl .. I love Gregory's Girl !

Did i already mention Gregory's Girl ? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Forsyth's comfort and joy does sound like a lot of fun and no one could ever accuse the plot of not being very original as there's not many films out there about ice cream wars in Glasgow in the middle of December.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I've never seen it but I can always remember this 1985 Brit comedy - car trouble starring Julie Walters,ian charleson and hazel O'Connor getting a real kicking from critics on release.

I can also remember this being on quite a few worse of lists from that year.

anyone seen car trouble,is it really that bad?

[ 24. March 2015, 16:11: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that i may have Car Trouble vhs tape somewhere, i need to investigate [Cool]
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
Gregory's Girl .. Gregory's Girl .. Gregory's Girl .. I love Gregory's Girl !

Did i already mention Gregory's Girl ? [Big Grin]

Just don't watch Gregory's Two Girls, just horrible.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
I have a feeling that i may have Car Trouble vhs tape somewhere, i need to investigate [Cool]

If you do atomik and get the chance at some point to check it out let us know what you think of it,I'm curious as to what it's like.

I'd also like to say Gregory's girl is great,not seen it for such a long time though but I can still remember it pretty well!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I found the Car Trouble tape so i´ll definitely watch the film during this week.
I´m also going to check out Gregory´s Girl again soon so there´s some kind of british invasion going on here right now [Cool]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Gregory's Girl too! [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Anybody seen this merchant ivory spoof from 1998 - stiff upper lips?

https://youtu.be/DamrCJUZkxQ - Stiff upper lips trailer.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"In the throes of a midlife crisis, a man buys a new Jaguar, and it immediately becomes his new love.
What he doesn't know is that his wife is as attracted to the Jaguar salesman as he is to the car." (IMDb)

Watched Car Trouble (1986) last night and while i think that it was a pretty decent film, part of me found it a bit irritating.
All the main characters are so annoying that i didn´t know if i should laugh or cry. These people definitely deserve each other [Smile]
Meat Loaf performed the theme tune Hearts of Fire (Car Trouble).
See Julie Walters in solarium, chain smoking More cigarettes, trashing the Jaguar and cheating her husband with a carsalesman. All in a days work [Big Grin]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
cheers for reviewing car trouble atomik,i thought i heard somewhere that meatloaf was on the soundtrack!

I'll probably still give it a go though I'm not expecting much from it!

[ 18. June 2016, 13:40: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I never really took to this John Cleese comedy when I first watched it as a 13 year old back in 1986 but watching it again recently it's actually pretty enjoyable stuff!

Cleese i thought was great as usual and I found it to be fairly funny in parts plus there's a definite 80s feel to the proceedings,also the location shooting i thought really showed off some of the beautiful English Countryside!

It's no Brit classic but it's fun and I'm pleased I revisited it!

https://youtu.be/_R7NLbkunww - Clockwise trailer (1986).

[ 18. June 2016, 14:08: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Havent heard of Clockwise Warrior. I love Cleese though and will keep an eye out for it. Thanx for the headsup.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Clockwise is a lot of fun. It's not Cleese's best, but he has the slow-burn of when his world starts to unravel down to perfection.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mixed feelings about this film. On the one hand I like it and always found it enjoyable (if not exceptional). I remember it coming out like it was yesterday (you know how some things happen and they seem to stick with you? Some films that came out well after this seem like a lifetime ago, but this one - like some others - seems like yesterday.) As a result of that, I always feel bittersweet when I think about it, because it takes me back to that time, and it also shows just how much Britain has changed since then.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home