iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2022) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2022)
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deathdream (1974) - This is just great, really depressing and creepy. Bonus was I'd forgotten how it all ends. I wanted to choke the Mum throughout this. The only thing I found really jarring was those jiggly violins, did not go with what was happening at all. 8/10

To Die For (1995) - Disturbing sort of black comedy. Nicole Kidman was great as the psycho b. 7/10

The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) - Always nice to see a Hammer that has escaped me. This was a bit rough around the edges but very enjoyable with a great performance by Anton Diffring. 7/10

Sinister (2012) - Third time watch, still my favourite horror from this century. I felt all weird and shaky all over. I mean obviously most of it comes down to those bloody disturbing videos with that so simple but seriously effective music. But does anything say stress more than a stressed out man in a big chunky cardigan!!! It does me in haha. I was gonna watch part 2 straight after, (which I haven't seen since the cinema and I really liked it and couldn't understand the hate) but I just didn't have it in me [Razz] so will watch tonight. The only reason this doesn't get a full score is the kids going ssh. Ssh OFF!! 9/10

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Final Destination 3 (2006)

More of the same. Enjoyed the tanning salon scene [Wink] but that was it. Where were the adults? Lazy writing. The lead couple were ok though. 4/10

-

Visiting Hours (1982)

Very good psycho killer film this one. Michael Ironside gives a fantastic performance. One of the early 80s hospital horror craze films (Halloween II, X-Ray). Recommended! 7/10

-

Horror in the Attic aka The Attic Expeditions (2001)

Horrible film. I bought this because Alice Cooper was mentionde on the Finnish dvd cover and he has about 30 seconds screen time [Mad] Lots of psychological mumbo jumbo and bad acting. Avoid! 2/10

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, it wasn't that bad [Razz]

Mr. Sardonicus (1961) - Got Invisible Man vibes off this. Loved that ending, brutal! 7/10

Sinister II (2015) - I am knocking this down a point as the horror side of it did work a bit better for me first time around on the big screen and I don't think I did it any favours watching it the day after the first. With that said I still really enjoyed this. I forgot how drama heavy it is and that side of it with the arsehole husband really got under my skin more this time. I like how they made Deputy so and so a more full character. I do find it super creepy once it goes full on into the horror in the last 40 mins. And the videos are great but that Sunday Service one especially is so vile, love it! The end is satisfyingly sad. 7/10

Barking Dogs Never Bite (2000) - Barmy. 7/10

The Tingler (1959) - Even more fun second time. 7/10

[ 18. October 2022, 03:37: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eyes of Laura Mars (1978)
Billed as a thriller, I didn’t find it particularly thrilling in the first 1/3 of the movie. I did love the fashion, photography, and gritty streets of old NYC. 7/10 for me.

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)

Not quite on the same level as the first two The Conjuring films but still good stuff. This was a horror/detective story. 7/10

-

The Birds II: Land´s End (1994)

Made for television The Birds sequel. Pretty bland film with no surprises what so ever. 4/10

-

The Final Destination aka Final Destination 4 (2009)

Stupid teens once again surviving first but dying next. This franchise goes from bad to worse [Big Grin] 3/10

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Nightingale (2018) - A tough watch. I did like how it twisted from you about to be rooting hard for somebody to then being like what a **** 6/10

Donovan's Brain (1953) - Fun. 7/10

Corpse Bride (2005) - This is my favourite animated film of all time. It's stunning through and through. The herky jerky oddity of stop motion will always reign supreme in animation. I love how bleak the living world is compared to the beautifully craggy but colourful world of the dead.

The weaving of humour and pain from one second to the next is done exquisitely, feels so effortless. I love how they tell such a tragic story with that funky jazz number. I want to visit that gorgeous Jazz pub full of dancing deadies weekly please! I don't think there is another film where I adore all 3 main characters equally. They are all beautiful people who make you smile when they do, ache when they do and you just plead at the screen for them all to be ok.

'If I touch a burning candle I can feel no pain, In the ice or in the sun it's all the same, Yet I feel my heart is aching, Though it doesn't beat it's breaking, And the pain here that I feel, Try and tell me it's not real, I know that I am dead, Yet it seems that I still have some tears to shed'

I watched this film a tonne back in a period of my life when I felt dead inside and I remember rewinding that verse over and over. It felt written for me.

Both piano scenes (I can't believe I only just noticed Harryhausen on one) are absolutely beautiful in such different ways. My dvd has the music only track as a special feature which is both weird and a great experience. I recommend it.

I can never have a bowl of soup without saying "There's an eye in me soup", Peter Lorre eye maggot, Hopscotch, the cast, "Grandpa", The town crier who you can't tell me isn't fashioned after King Charles, "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" and the most perfect revenge. Everything about this film is divine. I sobbed, as I do everytime at the end. Beautiful ❤ 10/10

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Nightingale is very good and violent.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you like short film festivals. Have you seen any Parker Finn stuff. Am hearing he's pretty good. I read somewhere that his new movie Smile is a version of one of his shorts.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
I don't think I've seen any of his shorts but would be interested to as Smile was such a pleasant surprise.

House Of The Long Shadows (1983) - Despite the magnificent cast and the director being Pete Walker this is one I was never in a great hurry to track down. I think it was because the posters/covers I seen over the years made it look like an outright comedy horror. I am so so glad it was not and glad to have finally watched this. It was just one of the snuggest, cosiest, old creepy house, gales blowing, loveliest atmospheres. And bonus I did not see the end coming [Big Grin] 8/10

F (2010) - Seen this a few times now and it's still just as unnerving. A bunch of hooded teens terrorising a small number of school staff and a couple of pupils after hours. The way they keep them faceless, silent, scattering along tops of lockers like rats and leaping from floors to tables in a frog like manner is suitably creepy. I also love the family drama with the Dad putting in a great performance. 8/10

Sputnik (2020) - There was a good film hiding somewhere in there. 5/10

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen S, I forgot to tell you Congratulations on getting married! Sounds like great fun!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Human Experiments (1979)

Basically a WIP flick but with horror elements. Good performances from Linda Haynes and Geoffrey Lewis. 6/10

-

Scream (2022)

Horrble. Just horrible in every way. 2/10

-

Caltiki - The Immortal Monster (1959)

Cool Italian sc-fi horror movie directed by Riccardo Freda and Mario Bava. The Quatermass Xperiment and The Blob copy yes but very entertaining. 7/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Thanks Pitts [Big Grin]
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

We’re semi-watching The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) on Svengooli on METV. (Husband is flipping back and forth between it and college football 🙄) It’s cheesetastic. Heck, for a very old movie, it’s really not bad. I can imagine kids in the theaters seeing this back then and being scared. I’m thinking it was probably a drive in theater staple too. Too bad Crash hasn’t been around; he would know for sure.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Owners (2020) - This woulda got a lower score if it was less interesting people. But I loved seeing Rita Tushingham and Dr Who taking names and kicking ***!! 6/10

Homicidal (1961) - Even though you can see what is going on a mile away this Psycho rip is so enjoyable. 8/10

Vice Squad (1982) - Grotty. 7/10

Halloween (2007) - I only really watch this now cos I love part 2 so feel I have to watch this as well. 6/10

Halloween Ends (2022) - Eh, this was just as mediocre as the prior 2. And again falling back hard on the manipulative nostalgia for the original film. Again I liked the look of the film and I wasn't bored, it was just there. And way too much of charisma vacuum granddaughter. The ending was hella juicy and enjoyable. I'd have to watch it again to be sure but I think out of these 3 the most future fun I'm gonna have is with Kills.

Of the big horror franchises this is overall the crappest for me. I've lost count of how many films but the only ones I need in my life are 1, 3, H20 and Zombie's Halloween 2. I think I'd rather watch Children of the corn from front to back than all of these!!! That's saying something. 5/10

Hocus Pocus (1993) - Hocus Pocus. 7/10

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

I think these horror franchises need to be done.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Suck (2009)

Surprisingly entertaining Canadian horror comedy. Loved the vampire make up and all the rocker guest stars did very well. 7/10

-

Haute Tension aka Switchblade Romance (2003)

Heard much about this French film but in the end was kind of disappointed. It´s very gory but the main character wasn´t very believable and the twist was a bit too much [Smile] 5/10

-

Docteur Jekyll et les femmes aka The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne (1981)

Walerian Borowczyk´s take on Jekyll & Hyde and it´s definitely of acquired taste. Marina Perro was very beautiful though and i liked the ending. 4/10

-

Fright Night 2: New Blood (2013)

Fright Night remake part 2 and this was better than i thought. British cast performing in Romania and Jaime Murray is very hot as Countess Bathory. Still far away from the original classic 5/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yeah Pittsburghgirl, but then can't stop watching haha

I LOVE that Fright Night 2 [Big Grin]

All Hallows' Eve (2013) - Oh my, I heart Art! I love the Terrifier films so it was about time I got to this one. A little ropey, very cheap but that all added to its charm. It got better as it went along and Mike Giannelli is just as good as Art, I cracked up so much especially towards the end. I think I might even like this more next time. I also liked that alien thingy and what looked like a thumb monster haha. 7/10

Halloween II (2009) - Past comments: I only really liked the opening when I first watched this but then a couple of years ago had an absolute ball with it. I'm raising my score yet again as I now love and think it is a brilliant film. I love the brutality, some really savage kills in here. Love the Halloween party, drunk Laurie, Honkytonk Halloween. The hallucinations, hmm, I can take or leave them. They're not too intrusive anyhow. But most of all what I love is the relationship between Laurie, Annie and her Dad with Annie's death being amongst the most heartbreaking slasher deaths ever for me. I also really appreciate the harrowing PTSD themes. Scout Taylor-Compton is on another level here compared to her ok performance in the first film. And that Psychoesque ending shot is just great. 8/10

All Hallows' Eve II: The Reaping (2015) - What a disappointment! It started off so well, proper Halloweeny, short and sweet tales. And then just lost all of that bit by bit and apart from the lift segment became quite dull. And to add insult to injury, as someone who doesn't turn off I had to sit through 10 minutes of credits!! 5/10

Tales Of Halloween (2015) - Has become an October staple. 8/10

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

One Dark Night (1983)

Tom McLoughlin´s One Dark Night rewatch from 88 Films bluray. I like this atmospheric little horror feature. 6/10

-

Final Destination 5 (2011)

This was a bit better FD film. The opening bridge scene was pretty cool and the eye surgery sequence very nasty. 5/10

-

Ganja & Hess (1973)

Pretty weird blaxploitation vampire film this one starring Duane Jones from Night of the Living Dead. Definitely a challenge but it´s not bad. 6/10

-

Slugs (1988)

This was also a rewatch and you gotta like Juan Piquer Simon movies. Cool sfx and fun characters. 7/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Halloween (1978) - Yeah. 10/10

Deerskin (2019) - Man becomes obsessed with his jacket (that he believes is talking to him) and deerskin stuff in general leading him onto a killing spree. 7/10

The Turning (2020) - By far the worst version of The Turn of the Screw I've seen. It only gets this score as I didn't mind the cast. 2/10

Monster House (2006) - Annual watch. 8/10

Scooby-Doo! And The Legend Of The Vampire (2003) - I had a lovely night. Went to a Halloween concert by Baked A La Ska who I didn't know so wasn't sure what to expect and had the best time! Never did I think I'd go to a concert and a band would sing Scooby-Doo totally straight. I just had to watch a Scooby after that and this one was really cute. 7/10

Spooky Bats And Scaredy Cats: A Halloween Tale (2009) - Gorgeous short stop motion I watch every year. 8/10

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
My last three 31 Days of Horror films:

-

Deadly Blessing (1981)

This was a rewatch and i´ve always enjoyed Wes Craven´s Deadly Blessing. Cool cast and very well done film. 7/10

-

Dogs (1977)

Dogs is a decent nature strikes back film with a very basic plot. I like the fact that they leave the reason why the dogs attack open. 5/10

-

Halloween Kills (2021)

This was a disappointment. Myers kills a lot yes but i didn´t feel anything. no atmosphere, no chills. And the characters were ultra stupid. 3/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The last 2 days of October:

Trick 'R 'Treat (2007) - It was so great to get to see this on the big screen. Sam's adorable face blown up was a treat [Smile] It was fun hearing all the giggling at certain jokes and parts. The biggest laughs was "Charlie Brown is an ahole" and when the kid is getting his head bashed in in the hole haha. 10/10

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982) - While my Halloween was a little different finally getting married and it was absolutely wonderful ❤ some things must remain the same. As soon as we got back from the reception this went on [Razz] 10/10

And as always I went on till 5th November:

Cursed Friends (2022) - 2/10
Halloween IV: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988) - 2/10
Barbarian (2022) - 5/10
Doctor Who: The Daemons (1971) - 8/10
Halloween V: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989) - 5/10
Hatchet (2006) - 8/10
Flame In The Streets (1961) - 8/10
V For Vendetta (2005) - 9/10

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home