iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I got a list for you to work on....Top 5 Guilty Pleasure 80s Movies (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I got a list for you to work on....Top 5 Guilty Pleasure 80s Movies
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Last One...

Satisfaction!

Why does it suck? Well....Justine Bateman was the lead role! The acting is pretty horrific to be honest. Seeing Julia Roberts in this movie, one would never bet she'd go on to such stardom.

Why do I keep Watching? I really don't f#$@ing know!! [Frown] [Frown]

Highlight moment? I actually liked watching the band sing....hmmmm....a little crush on Justine too....

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The great Liam Neeson was in Satisfaction too! When asked once why he did it, he said something like, "It had cute girls in it. I got paid." I like his honesty. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to make a list of all of these I might do that later....plus I want more then 5...I should have never made it a top 5....I say it should be an ongoing thread? any thoughts?

I love Satisfaction!!! easily one of mine...which is making this hardddd.

I'm going to add my personal favorite guilty pleasure.....

The Invisible Kid

-

1.Why it sucks? total b movie.....with some t@a.....where bird poop plays a part.

2. Why I can't get enough...KAREN BLACK! she's an awesome evil mom...Jay Underwood is so cute.....it's so stupid it's lovable and me watching it as a child alot helps me love it.

3. Highlight.....when mom realizes she took some of the powder and starts disappearing and becomes a floating wig and glasses, classic!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for letting me in on this one Valley...

One that pops up for me that I would watch everytime it is on would be........

MOVING VIOLATIONS!

1. Why it sucks?--Would have been better if Bill Murray would have played the lead instead of his highly unknown brother.

2. I still watch it because there are so many great 80s faces in it. Jennifer Tilly, Sally Kellerman, Wendie Jo Sperber, The little guy that was in Fast Times at Ridgemont High---?drawing a blank on his name,

3. Highlight was when they are trying to get the old woman into the house so that she can steal the ledger from the couple while they are "messing" around. Also followed by a hilarious chase scene.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already did my 5...but since I have so many "Guilty Pleasures" might as well keep going.

So my next offering...

Like Father, Like Son (1987):
 -

1. Why it sucks?:
Welllll, this one's a little iffy. Half the people I talk to who've seen this movie say they love it. The other half can't stand it. So this is really one of those 50/50 movies. You either love it or hate it. So in that sense, it's really a toss up whether or not this can be considered a "Guilty Pleasure." But, we'll just say it is for the sake of this thread. The genral population of movie critics that didn't like this film say it was because of some bad acting and bad script writing.

2. Why I like it?
I have to disagree with the neigh saying critics on this one. The acting wasn't stupendous, but it wasn't horrible either. And although Kirk Cameron does overact his role in some spots, it's still a good funny performance. But let's face it, I'm willing to bet whoever has seen this movie will agree with me that Dudley Moore easily steals the show in this movie. He is so funny in this movie that I still laugh out loud at many of his scenes in this movie. Only his performance in ARTHUR tops this one IMO. And it doesn't top it by much.
It can also be noted too that Sean Astin gives a pretty funny performance too as the best friend.

3. Highlight Scene:
There's quite a few Highlight scenes for me in this one. All Dudley Moore scenes of course. But if I had to choose a favorite. It'd probably have to be the scene where Chris Hammond, who is actually now in his father's body after the brain transfer, and is thus now played by Dudley Moore...(confusing I know..lol). Anyway, the scene where Moore goes to the hospital where his father works and has to pretend like he's a professional doctor..all those scenes combined would have to be my favorites.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top 5 Guilty Pleasure Movies of the 80s.

1. Mommie Dearest (1981)
2. Road House (1989)
3. Perfect (1985)
4. Cocktail (1988)
5. Howard the Duck (1986)

Posts: 4125 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Father Like Son could be on my list easy.............and oooooooooo Leo Logan good call on your list they are all awesome!!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3. Ghoulies II (1987)

Why do mainstream viewers think it sucks? The Ghoulies series has always been ragged on by reviewers for being derivative of Gremlins (one of my all-time favorites, BTW). Things like how the little Ghoulies are able to kill people, the romantic subplot between Larry and Nicole, the song by WASP on the soundtrack, and the ways the Ghoulies kill people are cited by different reviewers on the IMDb as why they think Ghoulies II is trash.

Why do I keep watching it? The Ghoulies get a lot more screen time here then in the first movie, for starters. The Ghoulies were portrayed more as background characters in the first Ghoulies, since the main focus was on the lead guy resurrecting his dead father. Ghoulies II, OTOH, pulls out all the stops and gives the title creatures the billing and time they deserve. After all, they are in the title of the movie. Imagine if in Gremlins, it took until the last thirty minutes for the mogwai to finally transform into the bigger gremlins and start wreaking havoc in Kingston Falls. It'd be a very disappointing movie, right?

I also have to single out Phil Fondacaro (Sir Nigel Pennywright) and Royal Dano (Uncle Ned) for their performances in Ghoulies II. Phil was funny with his constant Shakespeare quotes and applying them to different situations in the movie. Dano likewise was hysterically funny as an alcoholic ex-magician who thought he could still perform magic. It was sad to see his character die, but he was developed well enough so the audience could identify with Uncle Ned and feel bad when he dies.

Lastly, I have to give John Buechler and his SFX crew three cheers for their work. Buechler is one of the unsung greats in making monsters and gave each of the Ghoulies a distinctive personality. I wouldn't say they're as good as Gizmo and the other mogwai in the Gremlins movies, but the five main Ghoulies have their own character traits so that they aren't a random menagerie of monsters.

What's the defining moment? Easily when Phillip Hardin runs into the trailer bathroom, sits on the toilet, and gets bit on the rear by the water Ghoulie. It's up on YouTube so I'll post the link here for everyone to check it out. It's funny!

Ghoulies II - Phillip gets his comeuppance

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cowboy10uk
Master Rewinder
Member # 117

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Cowboy10uk   Email Cowboy10uk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Valley, as no one else has owned Up, I WILL be the first to admit to Mannequin to my guilty pleasure. I will watch this everytime its on, Just a great feel good movie. [Smile] My other guilty pleasures, well lets see...

Paramedics,
Moving Violations,
Recruits,
Megaforce,
Biggles,
Earth Girls are easy.

Or to be honest ANY cheesy comedy, The cheesier the better. Always on the lookout for Bad 80s comedys.

Cowboy10uk

Posts: 158 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- Revenge of the Ninja (1983)

The very first movie i ever rented.. and because it still kicks *** ! Mario Gallo (as mob-boss
Chifano) turns in a truly great performance.. yes really !

- Private School (1983)

Super-cute Phoebe Cates, Betsy Russel on full display, and.. uhm.. Michael Zorek and Matthew
Modine in drag !

- Death Wish 3 (1985)

Charlie B. massacres about 150 people, destroys a whole city-block, and gets away with it..
Hail to Cannon !

- Hard Ticket to Hawaii (1987)

Saw this one for the first time when i was in my early teens, and it had just been released on
video, and i was like : Yeah, i hit jackpot now !

- Secret of the Inca's Empire (1988)

This is pretty hard one to find nowadays.. Italian Indiana Jones rip-off which throws in
elements from every possible genre you can come up with. I have it on German dubbed vhs. I saw this for the first time around '89 or '90 in another German version which had 2 sex-scenes
edited in.. 1 of those scenes was lifted from The Further Adventures of Tennessee Buck (1988)..
i never managed to find out where the other one came from. The version i own now does not
include these scenes.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My next Top 5 Guilty Pleasures are...

1. The Lonely Lady (1983)
2. Rhinestone (1984)
3. King Kong Lives (1986)
4. Supergirl (1984)
5. Jaws: The Revenge (1987)

Posts: 4125 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was so fun reading this whole thread again, great topic, Muffy!

Okay my choices so far, were:

-Staying Alive
-Earth Girls Are Easy
-Who's That Girl (stolen from Muffy ha) and now..

#4 - SING (1989)

-

This one doesn't get talked about much on this site, or at least...it did in the past but it's been a while. [Smile]

A Brooklyn highschool is on the verge of being closed down, when the senior class fights to put together their annual SING show at the end of the school year.

1. Why does is it suck? (to the normal public)

It's described as a cross between Footloose and Fame, but good in it's own way. Very cheesy but great music and dance numbers, which you all know I love!

2. Why do you keep watching it?

The school punk/bad boy falls for the goody goody girl..plus Patti LaBelle as a teacher, singing with her students in class, Lorraine Bracco showing her dance moves and the teen characters are a riot.

3. Highlight moment?

A montage of the kids auditioning for SING, doing Madonna's Like A Virgin and it's horrible! haha

The soundtrack is totally awesome. Original music for the film and show, including the 'come together' song at the end by Michael Bolton! [Big Grin]
Other songs by Patti LaBelle, Nia Peeples, and a love theme by Terri Nunn & Paul Carrack:

(love the movie clips in the video) http://youtu.be/TejhO1Za918

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

As I have mentioned many times, for years I was in charge of SING at the school I work at. Probably too many years (8) but I probably loved doing it thinking of the movie that I watched many times growing up.

If you like musical movies it's totally worth a view or two.

P.S. Few NY stages are like that one.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie .. I'm watching "Staying Alive" tonight! [Big Grin]

And "Sing" is an underrated guilty pleasure for sure.

The Terri Nunn & Paul Carrack duet you mentioned is such an excellent tune. I posted a video and then noticed you had an even better choice!

Devo.. that is so cool that you are the "Sing" coordinator. [Smile]

[ 05. August 2011, 10:38: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, why did you take yours down? I loved the video you posted. It's a great scene in the movie.
"Don't get the idea that..that meant anything!" haha...men! [Wink]

D, I always thought it was cool that your school did Sing!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie.. don't get the idea that me taking down that slooooow dance video meant anything. ha

So is Muffy scouring her video rental store for "Sing" right now?

"Wait.. found it.. oops .. that is "Shout" with John Travolta to watch tonight after Staying Alive". [Big Grin]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would like to participate but i dont feel guilty about the movies i like, i think they all rock.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by The Good Package:
i dont feel guilty about the movies i like, i think they all rock.

That's actually how I feel. Same goes for music! [Smile]
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right on!
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well now I want too see Sing bad!!! bad bad....they may have it at my cool video store.....we shall see.........
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I watched Ronnie's suggestion of "Staying Alive" last night for the first time in years and had a blast. Though I apparently had a mis-step and fell of stage while recreating Travolta's dance moves during the 'Satan's Alley' finale. But I still recovered in time to strut around my dance cave at the end. [Wink]

And there is no way I would have known that was Joyce Hyser without Ronnie pre-warning me. Wow.. that was way cool.

Poor Jackie though.. I'm glad they worked it out.. but it would be hard to feel secure with Tony Manero and his perfect hair! [Big Grin]

Hey.. was that Sylvester Stallone staring me down on the sidewalk? Well, apparently Ronnie didn't notice because she was too busy staring at John Travolta dancing in a loin cloth. ha

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Yay Muffy! Try to get a copy, I would love to see what you think. It's totally cheesy. [Wink]

Valley, I am surprised that you didn't know Joyce was in that small scene? I love it when I point things out to you that you didn't previously know about, it doesn't happen often ha!

Tony's hair.. very nice, but not as good as the walk ya know? I love when Stallone stares down Tony when he's walking.. Sly was lookin fly in his shades and coat. [Cool]

Gotta give it up for Frank Stallone and his cool grooves in the movie. Great soundtrack!

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy .. did you score "Sing" yet?

I know the movie "Armageddon" takes heat .. but it is hard to believe that Hannah grew up to be Jennifer Watts .. wow.. she must have kept those Dominic toughness tips from "Sing"

And it is hilarious to see Cuba Gooding Jr. in one of his first roles as Stanley.

-

What about this from "Coming To America"?

Ronnie.. when are you finally gonna watch the rest of it?

butrfli
Rewind Curious
Member # 10036

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for butrfli   Email butrfli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've been coming to fast-rewind for years, but never looked at the forums. i've spent the day going through topics and i'm loving these boards!

my 80's guilty pleasures are teen witch, it takes two, porky's, hunk, and times square. i'll drop anything that i'm doing and become completely engrossed in all of them.

hunk was the movie that i would rent all the time when i went to the video store as a kid. i was convinced it was called california hunk for years because of the tag on the vhs cover.

times square was a recommendation from one of my professor's in college. as i watched it for the first time i was amazed at how bad and how wonderful it was all at once. it was the first movie that i immediately started over and listened to the dvd commentary.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoahhhhhhh! jus found this thread as iv been away from u guys...gonna read all these posts later and rip u all apart....man your guilty pleasures are just awsomely insane...will be quotin an postin soon...yeee haa...great thread muffy
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home