iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I got a list for you to work on....Top 5 Guilty Pleasure 80s Movies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I got a list for you to work on....Top 5 Guilty Pleasure 80s Movies
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie.. "Staying Alive" is such a brilliant choice! This thread could almost be retitled .. 'Guilty Pleasures I Wanna Strut'!

-

Quite often when my pup Willie and I go for a walk .. I'll announce "You know what I wanna do, Willie?... <insert bark>.. Strut!!!"

His legs might be appear short, but of course he does most of the strutting! [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, your puppy Willie is cute. Is he a corgi? I like their short, stubby legs and ears that stand up straight. They sort of remind me of baby bear cubs.

Here's my second 80s guilty pleasure:

#2: Spring Break

Why does the mainstream public hate it? For the same reasons they tend to hate other '80s T&A flicks. Crude humor, misogynistic attitudes toward women, lack of originality: these are the typical complaints you'll hear from people who don't appreciate Spring Break and others of its ilk.

Why do I keep watching it? It's a period piece that more or less reflects the fashions, attitudes, music, and culture of the time in which it was made. Spring Break has good, honest performances by actors and actresses who look like they could be real people who go on spring break vacations regularly. The women are naturally beautiful, not all glammed up like they are today. In Spring Break, you've got the sweet, down-to-earth lass (Susie) and the voluptuous, irresistible vixen (Joan). Then there's Nelson, the shy but likable male lead who you want to see get the girl in the end. I also love the soundtrack, especially the scene where Nelson is running through the hotel to the tune of .38 Special's Caught Up In You. I'd be committing a cardinal sin if I didn't bring up Corinne Alphen's showstopping musical numbers, even though she was lip-syncing.

3. Highlight moment? Too many to list. One that does stick out in my memory is when the all-female band in the club, Hot Date, performs "I Want to Do it To You." Just thinking of Corinne Alphen in that tight pink suit and black boots drives me crazy! Rawrrrr!
 -

Did you really think I'd end this post without a Corinne Alphen pic?

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks pyro, and thumbs up on being a fan as well. [Smile]

valley - willie is adorable. [Smile] too funny about the 'bark' haha.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool thread Miss Teppermen [Cool]

Good call on Staying Alive, Ronnie. It doesn't get much better (or worse) than that, though I'll gladly admit to it being in my collection, right next to Saturday Night Fever.

I imagine it won't be long before the 'Grease 2' aficionados come along and ruin everything [Wink] [Razz]

1. Transformers: The Movie

-

Redeemed somewhat over the last decade, there was a long period of time when this (and G.I. Joe: The Movie) were considered the epitome of lame.

1. Why does it suck (to the normal public)?

Bizarrely, there was a time when people thought...

THIS...

...was somehow cheesy or ridiculous... people eh? [Wink]

Maybe folks were confused over how they felt about Autobot Arcee [Eek!]
 -

But most of all I think it was just too damn traumatic for the masses. It had to have had the highest body count of any animated movie to date: old favourites (whose toys probably weren't selling as much anymore) were gunned down without remorse. Optimus Prime was martyred and an entire planet gets wiped out in the first five minutes (that's cinematic genocide on a scale not seen since Alderan).

2. Why do you keep watching it?

All of the above.

3. Highlight moment?

The soundtracks awesome, nothing says winning like DARE!

[ 05. April 2011, 19:09: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4. The Gate (1987)
 -

1. Why it sucks?
Well, unless you're a fan of these kind of cheesy 80's B horror flicks, then it's pretty much going to suck the same reasons all other films like it do. I'll admit from a general viewing standpoint, I can see how many would dismiss this film as pretty weak. The plot is laughable, the acting is pretty cheesy, and the special effects are pretty dated for it's time. So yeah, it's a pretty bad movie from a general perspective.

2. Why I keep watching?
I don't think I need mention again that i'm quite the B movie fan. So just that fact alone is enough to keep me watching. But this movie also has a couple nice nostalgic factors for me personally...

A: It's among one of the earliest scary movies I can remember sneaking off to the Drive-In with friends to watch without my parents approval..hehe..we were such rebels.=)

B: The 2 main characters of the movie acted alot like a couple of my childhood friends.

So while this isn't among my all time top fav B Horror films..it can certainly be among my favorite "Guilty Pleasures."

3. Highlight Moment:
The little stop animation ankle-biter demons...they crack me up now...but they used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid.

-

[ 05. April 2011, 21:46: Message edited by: The Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pyromantic:
4. The Gate (1987)
 -

1. Why it sucks?
Well, unless you're a fan of these kind of cheesy 80's B horror flicks, then it's pretty much going to suck the same reasons all other films like it do. I'll admit from a general viewing standpoint, I can see how many would dismiss this film as pretty weak. The plot is laughable, the acting is super cheesy, and the special effects are pretty dated for it's time.
So yeah, it's a pretty bad movie from a general perspective.

2. Why I keep watching?
I don't think I need mention again that i'm quite the B movie fan. So just that fact alone is enough to keep me watching. But this movie also has a couple nice nostalgic sediment attatched to it for me personally...

A: It's among one of the earliest scary movies I can remember sneaking off to the Drive-In with friends to watch without my parents approval..hehe..we were such rebels.=)

B: The 2 main characters of the movie acted alot like a couple of my childhood friends.

So while this isn't among my all time top fav B Horror films..it can certainly be among my favorite "Guilty Pleasures."

3. Highlight Moment:
The little stop animation ankle-biter demons...they crack me up everytime..lol

-

Fond memories of this movie as a kid. Saw this with a friend when we were 10. It scared the crap out of us. especially the scene where the guy comes out of the wall.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another good choice, pyro.

my #2 - Earth Girls Are Easy
 -

this movie sort of made me wanna live in it haha. it's so ridiculous and fun. a wife to be, living in Cali, takes in 3 aliens after they land in her pool.

-

1. Why does is it suck? (to the normal public)

furry red, blue & yellow aliens...who get makeovers and turn into hunks?!? haha! it's a cheesy movie that has quirky, clueless characters singing silly music and dancing.

2. Why do you keep watching it?

it's pure 80s, the clothing, the salon scenes, the club scenes, and the tall, dark and handsome Jeff Goldblum [Smile]
 -

3. Highlight moment?

vintage Geena Davis & Jim Carrey.. the scenes with Julie Brown and the Baby Gonna Shake tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfV0sSGvPgk

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley your pup is waaaaaaaaaay cute!

I love everybody's choices!! I didn't even expect to read such cool long writeup's gang!! this is so much fun for me to read because I totally love these kind of movies.

Ronnie.....Earth Girls is on my list!! I was gonna do it today.......Great minds think alike [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one Ronnie, on mine too [Smile]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most on my Gulilty Pleasure list would probably fall outside of the 1980s, so I'll just quickly list them here, then let you lot get on with it.

In no particular order, my five are:

Blazing Saddles. Hilarious, sometimes breathtakingly stupid, but nowadays it's cited as the hight of racial offensiveness. Excessive use of the N-word for comedic effect is why people these days don't admit to watching it, but seign as the movie showcases the white guys as dumb and the black guys as smart, the point is lost on me. and it's still a real funny movie.

You've Got Mail. Overprocessed Hanks and Ryan fest, many would say that it's a saccharine-laden attempt to recreate the on-screen success of Sleepless In Seattle by keeping the two leads emotionally apart for much of the movie, but for me it's a much better effort, and personally I love the slushy feel.

Soft Beds, Hard Battles. Probably Peter Seller's worst ever movie, he plays many roles in this one, which basically tells the story of world War two from the view of life in a Parisien Brothel. somehow it has it's good moments, and overall works for me, although it's never going to win any awards for acting, script, cinematography, and certainly not for make-up.

HitchHikers Guide To The Galaxy. Most people who are HGG fans dismiss this as a very poor effort, but personally (as an HGG fan) I love this movie. The plot is cool, the sets and characters work well, Martin Fereman is good as Arthur (more of a victim than a bumbling naiive fool), Alan Rickman voices Marvin perfectly, and Zooey Deschanel is just wonderful as Trillian, both from a preformance and an eye-candy view.

Star Trek: Insurrection. It should be terrible, as it's an odd-numbered trek film. But it's not. It's.... comfortable. It played like a brand new feature-length episode of Star Trek TNG, which was and is just whjat I would have wanted. The lack of ILM's availability meant that the FX were less dynamic, but really you don't notice this.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again Muffy.. excellent and entertaining thread.. it was just the spark the messageboard needed! I'm really enjoying how everyone is going into detail.. this is fun to read.

Though I must admit that I was feeling a little embarrassed at first .. then Ronnie started posting her choices. ha [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] .... Of course, that also made me realize that "Staying Alive" was #3 on my list.. but don't tell NowhereGirl .. Okay?

Thanks for the comments about Willie.. along with his cuteness, he is also extremely smart and wicked cool. He truly understands everything I confide in him.. but luckily for me I'm the only one that understands his 'bark'. [Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute pup there Valley....and a very nice carpet as well!

My next choice:

Six Pack

Why it sucks? Well....it stars Kenny Rogers....and that's all I got to say about that!

Why I Keep Watching? Quite cheesy, but the child actors did a great job....Diane Lane in an early role...Anthony Michael Hall.....some pretty funny scenes with the kids. Also, Erin Gray looks smokin hot in this movie...well...in a 70's/80's kinda way!

Highlight moment? All the scenes with the young actors are good....one of the kids has a potty mouth and curses like a sailor....some great scenes!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't mean to force a Jeff Goldblum overdose on you guys...But Ronnie's post reminded me of another Goldblum film I watched recently that fits under this catergory like a glove.

5. Vibes (1988)
 -

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKSpTTL1Bvc

1. Why it sucks?
Well, Cyndi Lauper's wasn't known as much of an actress in the 80's for one. And it really shows here. The acting gets a bit annoying at times. And Cyndi & Goldblum make the most odd looking couple imaginable. But, these flaws are actually this movie's strengths...if that makes sense.

2. Why I keep watching?
Well, I don't. I only happened to stumble upon this recently by accident. I hadn't seen it in years, so I decided, why not..let's give it a go for the hell of it. And I'm glad I did. It's actually a very cute comedy. And since Goldblum & Lauper are both pretty strange people, I think they actually work pretty well together in this film. While this movie is still not among one of my favorites even after another rewatch, I still say it's worth a viewing if you've never seen. It was entertaining enough to make me want to try to hunt down a copy for purchase since I don't own this one.

3. Highlight Moment:
The dance floor scene with Jeff & Cyndi. It's that part that sticks out to me because you realize just how much of an odd couple those two actually make..lol. Not just in personality but in physical size difference as well.

[ 06. April 2011, 15:28: Message edited by: The Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my # 2
Who's That Girl
 -

1. Why it sucks? OMG Madonna and that squeaky voice.......I'm sure it got the most horrible reviews when it came out.......such an awful movie to put the most popular pop star in?

2. Why I can't get enough.....I love Nikki Finn's squeaky voice and laugh her "hahahaha" "Murrey"......I love the music. who isn't already singing this song.....I love 80s Madonna and Griffin Dunne was awesome too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF1gPxL4Xco&feature=related

3. Highlight Moment........"dum dum...do do do do....dum dum....do do" I love the freaking music store scene ha!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie Sheen just called, and not only did he say that this thread was "Epic winning" but also that it had "Tiger blood". I think that's a good thing.

Of the movies listed so far that I've seen... I feel no guilt for liking any of them! Maybe I have 'tiger blood'?

However, I raise objections to the house for these movies:

'Little Darlings'
'Earth Girls are Easy'
'Blazing Saddles'

They are all good movies, and therefore no guilt need be felt.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

muffy you punkette! haha Who's That Girl was going to be my next choice, so i will piggyback off you and say that's my #3 too. i love Madonna in that movie, i thought she was hilarious!

and Wendy Worthington...'i had her in my cab once..' [Big Grin]

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Who's that Girl too!! The cartoon sequence at the beginning is soooo awesome [Smile]

-

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your pic is not showing Veronica.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel no guilt when it comes to movies.... only pleasure!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen, I can see it??
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pyromantic:
4. The Gate (1987)
 -

1. Why it sucks?
Well, unless you're a fan of these kind of cheesy 80's B horror flicks, then it's pretty much going to suck the same reasons all other films like it do. I'll admit from a general viewing standpoint, I can see how many would dismiss this film as pretty weak. The plot is laughable, the acting is pretty cheesy, and the special effects are pretty dated for it's time. So yeah, it's a pretty bad movie from a general perspective.

2. Why I keep watching?
I don't think I need mention again that i'm quite the B movie fan. So just that fact alone is enough to keep me watching. But this movie also has a couple nice nostalgic factors for me personally...

3. Highlight Moment:
The little stop animation ankle-biter demons...they crack me up now...but they used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid.

-

I love The Gate!!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
my # 2
Who's That Girl

1. Why it sucks? OMG Madonna and that squeaky voice.......I'm sure it got the most horrible reviews when it came out.......such an awful movie to put the most popular pop star in?

2. Why I can't get enough.....I love Nikki Finn's squeaky voice and laugh her "hahahaha" "Murrey"......I love the music. who isn't already singing this song.....I love 80s Madonna and Griffin Dunne was awesome too.

3. Highlight Moment........"dum dum...do do do do....dum dum....do do" I love the freaking music store scene ha!

I haven't watched this movie in years. But I remembered that I didn't think much of it when I first saw it when I was younger. I guess it came off to a bit too cheesy to me at the time..not to mention I wasn't a huge Madonna fan when I was younger. But, as fate would have it..i just noticed this movie was added to Instant Watch this week. So last night I decided to give it a go again. I must say my views on this movie have changed drastically. I think I love it now..lol. Not only does it have vintage 80's written all over it. But, due to the fact that you just don't see great comedies like this anymore, it makes it that much better. And yeah, Madonna's performance is just priceless. And I think Griffin Dunne also deserves a big nod because he's really funny in this movie too.
The scene that really took me back was when Madonna was in the music store boosting cassettes..hehe. Love it!

So anyway, I think WHO'S THAT GIRL has just catapulted itself into my no. 6 spot...ahhh Screw It!...i think it replaces VIBES, my no. 5....thanks Muff [Cool]

[ 07. April 2011, 15:33: Message edited by: The Pyromantic ]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
Helen, I can see it??

Oh, I just get a fortunecity logo [Confused]
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
OK, I see what you're saying now..here it is

-

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Ok, 'Who's That Girl' is kind of a guilty pleasure. It's totally cheesy, but for me it represents the time I fell head-over-heels in crush with Madonna. In that sense I feel a kind of 'guilt' about it.

However; if anyone says 'Shanghai Surprise' they should be ashamed!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home