iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Top 20 All-Time Favorite 80's Movie Poll Results - The Rewind Has Spoken! ! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Top 20 All-Time Favorite 80's Movie Poll Results - The Rewind Has Spoken! !
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Kind of shocked at the Lost Boys. I always felt it was a bit overrated, I mean it's a good movie but... hey that's why they are called opinions.

I'll post my 20 tomorrow.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I think 6 of mine got in. My only regret is not placing 16 candles higher on my list. It would have been a deserving #1.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie Jean
Rewinder
Member # 9525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Billie Jean   Email Billie Jean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was some good ones
Posts: 42 | From: Stockton, California | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie Jean
Rewinder
Member # 9525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Billie Jean   Email Billie Jean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out too late. I didn't get to vote. Here is my list:

Gremlins
The lost boys
Poltergeist
Dirty dancing
Willow
The Legend of Bille Jean
Mannequin
Indiana jones and the temple of doom
Witches of Eastwick
Beaches
Big business
Hello again
Romancing the stone
My Chauffeur
Cheech and Chong the corsican brothers
Batteries not included
Vice versa
Blue lagoon
Look who's talking
Honey i shrunk the kids

Posts: 42 | From: Stockton, California | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised of the order? haha [Smile]

Wasn't Goonies #1 last time....funny how things change? because my new list was totally different from last time. I made my list, sent it to Valley, then I looked up the old thread and i'd written something to the effect of "no E.T and Say Anything?" and neither made my list this time.

So the one thing i've been thinking about is? how does one figure this out? does each movie when it rates higher on someones list get more points? or just in general how many votes it got? I want to know the technical stuff.

I love Ronnie's list!! I wrote mine on paper and scratched and unscratched and moved....then I typed my list.....we are all so old school. [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy .. the way the poll worked was:

Your #1 movie was worth 20 points, your #2 movie was worth 19 points... etc.. with your #20 movie worth 1 point.

And I did the entire recap on a giant notepad .. but it was in no way as cool as what Ronnie sent me!

Also, you are correct.. "The Goonies" was the #1 movie last time.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work Valley!

It was fun, exciting and scary at the same time to scroll down the pages [Smile]

All 20 movies on the list are very good movies.
7 of mine got in. That´s not bad.

Here´s my list:

1. Big Trouble in Little China
2. The Wraith
3. Ferris Bueller´s Day Off
4. Night of the Creeps
5. The Lost Boys
6. Planes, Trains and Automobiles
7. Gremlins
8. Back to the Future
9. The Thing
10. Sixteen Candles

11. Zapped!
12. The Terminator
13. Savage Streets
14. Top Secret!
15. Secret Admirer
16. Conan the Barbarian
17. The Malibu Bikini Shop
18. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
19. Real Genius
20. Hardbodies

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. This thread wins!

Cheesed about PiP not making it. I think my vote for Empire is what kept it in the top 20! I knew my number 1 wouldn't be anywhere (never is). Problem is, almost every film from about 20-40 should really have deserved a place - but there was no room in the life-raft!

Can someone post the 'old' top 20 for comparison?

My list:

Tootsie
The Empire Strikes Back
Back to the Future
The Goonies
Sixteen Candles
Just One of the Guys
Explorers
Can't Buy Me Love
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Valley Girl

WarGames
Lucas
Pretty in Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Electric Dreams
Arthur
Conan the Barbarian
Hero at Large
Fame

quote:
17. The Malibu Bikini Shop
Atomik... someone had to!

Loved the running commentary from Helen and Kev. I'm going to quote big chunks of it!:

quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
The Shining, that's IT [Mad]
Terrible choices hehe [Razz]
I'm not feeling any of these picks so far lol
I didn't vote for it but at least that's one I can woo for [Big Grin]
Same with that [Big Grin]
Yuck, somebody smack that twit [Razz]
It's evil is what it is  -
By most of the list so far I am weary of these incredibles LOL
No 2. Top 35 maybe [Razz]
That's not even the best vampire flick of the 80's [Razz]

quote:
are you Karate Kidding!!!????
OMG I knew it......Flashdance is going to be #1.....
Come on Valley!!! You got someone there with a hand crank generating power for your laptop??!!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my list that I sent in:

1. Caddyshack
2. The Terminator
3. Teen Wolf
4. The Breakfast Club
5. National Lampoon's Vacation
6. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
7. Three Amigos
8. Trading Places
9. Coming to America
10. Uncle Buck
11. Weekend at Bernies
12. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
13. An American Werewolf in London
14. Caddyshack 2
15. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
16. Thrashin'
17. Can't Buy Me Love
18. Ghostbusters
19. North Shore
20. The Princess Bride

Seven of my picks made it. I am still deeply disturbed that Teen Wolf has not even merrited a mention.

Caddyshack - I am glad Caddyshack made it but at #19. Fellas, come on.

The Terminator - Had to make it obviously

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - John Hughes, nothing further to be said.

Ghostbusters - What can I say

Fast Times at Ridgemont high - Spicoli wouldda cut sick if this didn't make it.

The Breakfast Club - John Hughes, again

Can't Buy Me Love - One of the strongest messages in 80's movies - Tough enough to be yourself.

While there are many that are not on my list, I can't argue with there deservedness of being there, however I feel that there were a few that well don't deserve to be there. Please don't lynch me after this list:

The Lost Boys
Better Off Dead
Aliens
The Empire Strikes Back

I am sure after that little list my top 20 is going to be subject to severe scrutiny.

Interstingly enough, the only movie I have not seen from the top20 list is Night of The Creeps so I can't comment on that one.

I also can't believe I forgot about The Goonies.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

Ok so we start off with:

Better off dead
Easy money
Evil dead 2
The last American Virgin
Sixteen Candles

6-10

Hamburger the motion picture!!!
Just one of the guys
Full metal jacket
UHF
Friday the 13th part 4 (specifically)

11-15

Some kind of wonderful
License to drive
Krull
I'm gonna get you sucka
Raiders of the lost ark

Finally...

Empire strikes back
Rad (you can put that higher) like 6
Say anything
Moving violations
Beverly hills cop

We are DEVO

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My list.....

1. Some Kind Of Wonderful (7th)
2. The Princess Bride
3. Die Hard
4. Gregory's Girl
5. The Breakfast Club (6th)
6. Blade Runner
7. Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan
8. Raiders Of The Lost Ark (18th)
9. Blind Date
10. Ferris Beiller's Day Off (13th)
11. Clue
12. Big Trouble In Little China
13. Real Genius
14. Terminator (15th)
15. Night Shift
16. The Blues Brothers
17. Electric Dreams
18. No Way Out
19. Mannequin
20. A Fish Called Wanda

Well, that was my second list (apparently I wasn't allowed to put the same movie from 1 thru 20......

What surprised me was that so many of the movies we talk about most often, and that were on the list before, were so obviously missing this time. I guess a sample size of just 21 respondents will do that. So anyone who didn't vote in time and disagrees with the results - you know what to do next time!

Coming soon - 80s GENRE POLLS.... get ready to vote......

[ 15. March 2011, 02:53: Message edited by: P a u l ]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ready, let's go! [Razz]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What penmanship Ronnie! [Razz]

Awesome job Valley. Thanks for taking the time to do these great kinds of threads. Some surprises there but great list of movies. I'm sure we all went nuts trying to put these lists together. Like I said, I changed mine so many times!

Here was mine:

1. Fire with Fire
2. Revenge of the Nerds
3. First Blood
4. Spellbinder
5. Eliminators
6. Lost Boys
7. Rocky IV
8. Terminator
9. War Games
10. Nightmare on Elm Street III: Dream Warriors
11. Trick or Treat
12. Weird Science
13. Some Kind of Wonderful
14. Can't Buy Me Love
15. Just One of the Guys
16. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
17. Stand By Me
18. Aliens
19. Stripes
20. Goonies

Some honorable mentions from me are: The Legend of Billie Jean, Beverly Hills Cop, Lethal Weapon, Major League, Brewster's Millions....to name a few.

P.S.
Thanks to Helen for the play by play commentary between posts.... very entertaining. [Big Grin]

Just counted and see that 9 of mine made it, pretty good!

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, can I just say I LOVE LOVE LOVE how Ronnie wrote out her list! So authentically 80's looking! Nice job w that Valley [Smile] !

The list is surprising to me...the first part is very boy friendly, imo, but overall, it's good! Didn't see Lost Boys coming in at #1. Corey Haim would be proud [Smile] !

Thanks for participating everyone! I love when we do stuff like this [Smile] ! And furthermore, keep the creativity coming!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh this was my list...in retrospect, I might change a few things but this is what I felt at the moment:

1. Fast Times At Ridgemont High
2. Sixteen Candles
3. Can't Buy Me Love
4. Private School
5. St. Elmo's Fire

6. Better Off Dead
7. Dirty Dancing
8. Revenge of the Nerds
9. Some Kind of Wonderful
10. Modern Girls

11. Pretty In Pink
12. Mannequin
13. Weird Science
14. Just One of The Guys
15. Bachelor Party

16. Mischief
17. Making The Grade
18. Friday The 13th
19. Stand By Me
20. A Night In The Life of Jimmy Reardon

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thread alert..

Helen's play-by-play can be found in the 'deleted postings' section of the upcoming special edition of this thread. [Razz]

btw Helen.. I think you should post your top 20 so that everyone can see why you disagreed with the results so much.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Season of the witch better not be on it Helen.
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's my list

1. Heathers
2. Valley Girl
3. Can't Buy Me Love
4. 16 Candles
5. Just One of the Guys
6. The Lost Boys
7. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
8. Some Kind of Wonderful
9. Ferris Bueller
10. Labyrinth
11. April Fool's Day
12. The Breakfast Club
13. Nightmare on Elm Street
14. Say Anything
15. Adventures in Babysitting
16. Summer School
17. Legend of Billie Jean
18. Better Off Dead
19. Risky Business
20. Beetlejuice

I can't believe Heathers is not on the list!!

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
A few folks mentioned the Rewind Poll from 2005, so I thought it might be interesting to post it. It isn't apples to apples because it was a Top 15 versus a Top 20 this time around.. but I'm actually amazed that 11 of the 15 movies from 2005 are in the Top 20 for 2011. And of those 11 .. it appears 9 of them are in the top 10. So with a very different group.. the list of top movies stayed quite similar.

Top 15 All-Time Favorite 80's Movie Poll Results 2005

1. The Goonies (1985) - #5 in 2011
2. Sixteen Candles (1984) - #2 in 2011
3. The Breakfast Club (1985) - #6 in 2011
4. Valley Girl (1983) - #10 in 2011
5. Back To The Future (1985) - #4 in 2011
6. Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982) - #8 in 2011
7. Pretty In Pink (1986) 
8. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - #13 in 2011
9. The Lost Boys (1987)  - #1 in 2011
10. Weird Science (1985) 
11. Can't Buy Me Love (1987) - #3 in 2011
12. Some Kind Of Wonderful (1987) - #7 in 2011
13. The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - #17 in 2011
14. St. Elmo's Fire (1985) 
15. Return Of The Jedi (1983) 

Oh and "Sixteen Candles" appears to always be the bridesmaid.. fitting? ha

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Here's the 2011 Top 20 again for quick reference..

-

So Awesome!!

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For reference, the 2005 poll (Top 15) had 32 voters, and the results were:

Top 15 All-Time Favorite 80's Movie Poll Results

1. The Goonies (1985)
2. Sixteen Candles (1984)
3. The Breakfast Club (1985)
4. Valley Girl (1983)
5. Back To The Future (1985)
6. Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)
7. Pretty In Pink (1986)
8. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
9. The Lost Boys (1987)
10. Weird Science (1985)
11. Can't Buy Me Love (1987)
12. Some Kind Of Wonderful (1987)
13. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
14. St. Elmo's Fire (1985)
15. Return Of The Jedi (1983)

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my top 20. It looks like only 3 of them cracked the overall list.

1. Better Off Dead
2. Gremlins
3. The Thing
4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
5. Porky's
6. A Nightmare on Elm Street
7. Night of the Creeps
8. Summer Rental
9. Creepshow
10. The Breakfast Club
11. The Great Outdoors
12. An American Werewolf in London
13. 48 HRS.
14. C.H.U.D.
15. Stand and Deliver
16. Weird Science
17. The Sure Thing
18. Eye of the Tiger
19. Private School
20. Commando

Honorable mentions: Spring Break, House, Hardbodies, Sixteen Candles, The Serpent and the Rainbow, The Toxic Avenger, One Crazy Summer, Trading Places, They Live, Screwballs.

It was nice to see a diverse mix of '80s favorites and cult hits make the overall list. I was surprised to see The Lost Boys make it to #1. It was a real dark horse candidate, IMHO.

Everyone's list looks great. Congrats, my fellow Rewinders!

* Bolded titles denote which movies ranked on the cumulative list

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any chance we could do this for everyone's top 20 favorite 80's songs? Then we could all make a Rewind CD for your very own listening pleasure....I'd offer to take the reigns, but alas, do not have a math brain.....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap. I could've added the Goonies to my list. How did I forget it??? Love that #1 choice though!!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home