iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Pretty in Pink ////| VS |\\\\ Some Kind of Wonderful (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pretty in Pink ////| VS |\\\\ Some Kind of Wonderful
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of the best teen movies ever. Both have terrific stories, all-star casts, and amazing soundtracks.
 -

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both brilliant movies! I really can't choose between them. Both fantastic movies with amazing soundtracks, actors/actresses and scripts. [Smile]
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Both brilliant movies! I really can't choose between them. Both fantastic movies with amazing soundtracks, actors/actresses and scripts. [Smile]
Chloe, I hate to break it to you, but there's a war going on - go back and re-read the entire thread - you *have* to choose one!

THE CEASEFIRE IS OVER! THE BATTLE HAS BEGUN AGAIN!

Let the Nazis of SKoW come out of the woodwork and try and force their tyranny once more! And once more let the sainted freedom fighters of PiP stand up against them!

"THE SUN'LL COME OUT TOMOROOOOOOOW!"

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty In Pink in all aspects. Very simple.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly the membership pool needs a little chlorine....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Pretty In Pink in all aspects. Very simple.
There's a fella with his head screwed on right.

quote:
Clearly the membership pool needs a little chlorine....
Fascist! You can take away our freedom, but you'll never take our ELO ALBUMS!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Logan!
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can abuse me all you like. Just remember...

• I can edit all your posts
  • I can give you all dumb user titles and user names
  • I have your email addresses and up addresses
  • One day, when you least expect it, you will find yourselves called Glenda, Mandy, or Donald

Now, once more: which is the better movie?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a tricky one as they are both such likeable movies,I did like the character of Duncan as played by Elias Koteas in Wonderful I thought he was really funny and i did think the ending was preferable to Pink's!

I thought that they both had awesome soundtracks,loved the O.M.D track If You leave as featured in PIP,did find the character of Duckie to be slightly annoying at times,I don't know but I think I'm leaning towards Some kind Of Wonderful.

Yeah I'd say Some kind Of Wonderful for me!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
quote:
Chloe, I hate to break it to you, but there's a war going on - go back and re-read the entire thread - you *have* to choose one!

THE CEASEFIRE IS OVER! THE BATTLE HAS BEGUN AGAIN!

Let the Nazis of SKoW come out of the woodwork and try and force their tyranny once more! And once more let the sainted freedom fighters of PiP stand up against them!

"THE SUN'LL COME OUT TOMOROOOOOOOW!"

It's really hard to choose between them. But overall, I would say Some Kind Of Wonderful! [Smile]
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Yeah I'd say Some kind Of Wonderful for me!
Alcohol and drugs will ruin a person. You need to get clean. Breathe the sweet air of freedom!

quote:
You can abuse me all you like. Just remember...

I can edit all your posts
I can give you all dumb user titles and user names
I have your email addresses and up addresses
One day, when you least expect it, you will find yourselves called Glenda, Mandy, or Donald

Now, once more: which is the better movie?

Who's abusing who?!

1) Fascist!
2) Fascist!
3) Email me anytime!
4) Call me Donald Trump! That should start some spicey debates!

Which is better... that's kind of like the chicken and egg discussion... which boils down to which came first... and in this case we all know Pretty in Pink came first!

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
It's really hard to choose between them. But overall, I would say Some Kind Of Wonderful! [Smile]
Chloe! Chloester! Chloemeister! Don't be hasty! I know you love Mr. Stoltz (don't we all?) But if he were here he'd want you to choose PiP. He'd place his hand on your shoulder and say:

"Chloe, you're a wonderful girl with a bright future. And this important choice has to be made by you and you alone. But I just wan't to give you a little advice before you choose; be a Jedi not a Sith. I hope you understand what I mean, Chloe, but just in case you don't I'll make it clear: SKoW is the darkside. Just saying."

If I know Eric as well as I think I do, he would - I'm almost certain - say something *exactly* like that! Think twice Chloe! Reconsider! USE THE FORCE CHLOE!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 of the worst movies EVER!!
Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:

Woops. Wrong thread [Big Grin]

Since I am here, I'll put in my one cents worth. Since I haven't seen either in 4ever, they both warrant a rewatch.
I would have to go with....drum roll... Some Kind of Wonderful. I would like to add that pretty in pink has to be one of the worst songs made for a movie.........and ever sang. That's the only song I can remember from either movie. I do look forward to watching these 2 flix after reading this thread.

Was talking to a friend about these movies today and he mentioned that he knows a guy that played an extra in SKoW. The extra said he was playing basketball nearbyon a day of filming and some of the main actors would come over and play also. Wouldn't that have been cool!

Posts: 1991 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Logan - you're losing. Get over it, otherwise you'll become Jessica 6...
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

quote:
quote:

Since I am here, I'll put in my one cents worth. Since I haven't seen either in 4ever, they both warrant a rewatch.
I would have to go with....drum roll... Some Kind of Wonderful. I would like to add that pretty in pink has to be one of the worst songs made for a movie.........and ever sang. That's the only song I can remember from either movie. I do look forward to watching these 2 flix after reading this thread.

Was talking to a friend about these movies today and he mentioned that he knows a guy that played an extra in SKoW. The extra said he was playing basketball nearbyon a day of filming and some of the main actors would come over and play also. Wouldn't that have been cool!

The version of Pretty in Pink rearranged for the movie score basically stripped away everything that the Psychedelic Furs put into it originally. They were pushed into making it far more poppy and commercial, whereas the 1981 original from Talk Talk Talk is a far edgier tune and feel. One of my favorites...
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

That would be so awesome! Thanks for sharing that with us. [Smile]
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Chloe! Chloester! Chloemeister! Don't be hasty! I know you love Mr. Stoltz (don't we all?) But if he were here he'd want you to choose PiP. He'd place his hand on your shoulder and say:

"Chloe, you're a wonderful girl with a bright future. And this important choice has to be made by you and you alone. But I just wan't to give you a little advice before you choose; be a Jedi not a Sith. I hope you understand what I mean, Chloe, but just in case you don't I'll make it clear: SKoW is the darkside. Just saying."

If I know Eric as well as I think I do, he would - I'm almost certain - say something *exactly* like that! Think twice Chloe! Reconsider! USE THE FORCE CHLOE!

I do like Pretty In Pink. The soundtrack, the cast and everything. I watched it just the other day, in fact.

But Some Kind Of Wonderful just pulled at the heartstrings a bit more. It's now one of my favorite films... [Smile]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I would like to add that pretty in pink has to be one of the worst songs made for a movie.........and ever sang. That's the only song I can remember from either movie. I do look forward to watching these 2 flix after reading this thread.
It's a great song! Both versions! [Although the original is more raw, and the remake more slick - I can enjoy both, but the performance of the original has more... heart?]

quote:
This is why it sucks to not have been a high school student in California in the 80's...

quote:
Logan - you're losing. Get over it, otherwise you'll become Jessica 6...
Nothing to get over! A winning streak is right around the corner - you'll see! I like being the underdog! PiP is clearly attracting a generally better quality of fan... even if the number isn't quite as large!

[Jessica 6 was hawt and you know it! Now what ever happened to Sci-Fi that delivered those kind of visions of the future to us?!]

quote:
The version of Pretty in Pink rearranged for the movie score basically stripped away everything that the Psychedelic Furs put into it originally. They were pushed into making it far more poppy and commercial, whereas the 1981 original from Talk Talk Talk is a far edgier tune and feel. One of my favorites...
Pretty sure I heard the producers wanted to use the original, but the band offered to re-record it to 'update' it - something they wound up regretting. Not sure where I read that though...
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

quote:

quote:
Pretty sure I heard the producers wanted to use the original, but the band offered to re-record it to 'update' it - something they wound up regretting. Not sure where I read that though...
Ok, here's the thing. And for what it's worth, this came from the lips of a certain Richard Butler...

They really don't like the movie version, to the point that when gigging, they always play the original, without exception. They were talked into making it more poppy and preppy, but it quickly felt like a sell out, despite the new fans it brought them.

From a conversation between he and I, a couple of years ago at a gig after party in London...

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I do like Pretty In Pink. The soundtrack, the cast and everything. I watched it just the other day, in fact.
Jedi.

quote:
But Some Kind Of Wonderful just pulled at the heartstrings a bit more. It's now one of my favorite films... [Smile]
Sith.

quote:
Ok, here's the thing. And for what it's worth, this came from the lips of a certain Richard Butler...

They really don't like the movie version, to the point that when gigging, they always play the original, without exception. They were talked into making it more poppy and preppy, but it quickly felt like a sell out, despite the new fans it brought them.

From a conversation between he and I, a couple of years ago at a gig after party in London...

Ha! Richard who?!

Ok, I get that they don't like it (the sound is very consistent with the 'Heartbreak Beat' era Furs which they often disparage - even though it's still good stuff), but were they pressured into it? Asked and said ok? Or did they offer? I seem to recall reading that the band offered and then regretted it...

Ok - ignore my questions above. I've found out where I read it. It was in the book 'Mad World' (highly recommended) and this is what Butler has to say:

"While we were writing songs for the second album [1981's Talk Talk Talk], we improved as songwriters. 'Pretty in Pink' just came to me, and I built the song about what that phrase conjured up. I always thought 'Pretty in Pink' was a song about a girl who sleeps around a lot and thinks she's very clever for doing it and feels very desired, but people are laughing at her behind her back. I don't think the movie Pretty in Pink did us any favours. It made light of and put a different spin on a song that actually had more to say than what the movie did. It's certainly less fluffy.
The story I heard [about how the song came to be the title of and theme song for the 1986 film] was that Molly Ringwald went up to John Hughes and said. "You've got to listen to this song. You've got to write something about this." Hughes [supposedly] loved it and went on to write the movie. The original version came out in 1981. It was a fairly well-known song, but in a college-radio situation. We rerecorded it for the movie. It was our idea. The record company was perfectly willing to go with the original version, which we should have. The original is better. It's not radically different, but I don't think it has the same rawness as the original."

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Ok, from what I recall...

They were told about the movie theme (preppy teen instead of naked prostitute) and the other songs in the movie. They felt that the original version was a little too raw, as is mentioned above. They offered to update it (even though they knew the original version would be the better track), and it was a good/bad call: it won them fans but took them away from their roots. Thankfully they are now firmly back on track...

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I can see why they did it. They were trying to sound a little slicker at the time, and probably thought a new version would sound more MTV friendly (echoes of Simple Minds recent US # 1 ringing in their ears?) Commercially it wasn't an altogether bad move as that period - thanks in part to PiP - was their most successful in the US. In retrospect I can see why sanitising their stuff to broaden appeal would be something they regret. The first version definitely sounds better, but the second version does fit the film better, so I don't think it was a bad move to rerecord it. I don't know, I just can't bring myself to dislike the version from the film because it's very similar to the original, and let's face it, The Psychedelic Furs, even when doing a slicker version of one of their songs, still sound better than most bands. Now if someone had covered it for the film... that might be a different story.
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread. I actually never saw either PIP or SKOW back in the '80's - despite being a teen at the time, I was never a huge John Hughes fan during that era - I did see both Breakfast Club & Ferris Bueller's Day Off during that time period (on VHS tape), but that was it.

It wasn't until the 200X's that I saw both PIP & SKOW on DVD - and, I thought both films were great & did remind me of being a teen.

I definitely found PIP to be the superior film, for many reasons:

- Even though I never saw the film back in the day, I do remember hearing songs from the film as a teen notably OMD's "If you Leave", "Bring on the Dancing Horses", "Pretty in Pink", "Left of Center", etc. And, I had bought the soundtrack on CD long before actually seeing the film. Very iconic, and the scenes the songs were played over were very appropriate. The soundtrack remains one of my favorite movie soundtracks of all time.

-The message about looking beyond someone's financial/social position in life & instead finding value in the type of person they are was quite powerful, and a good message/life lesson for anyone, no matter how old you are.

-The scene when MR had the conversation with her father (played by Harry Dean Stanton) about her mother leaving the family years before was quite poignant. Very deep for an '80's teen film.

-I didn't find Molly Ringwald's "rejection" of Ducky unrealistic at all. The characters had 0 romantic chemistry together, and it's obvious that Molly's character felt Ducky was just a friend and that was it - you got the strong impression she saw him as almost a brother. But, I never got the impression she was into him romantically.

I didn't really like the fact that she ended up with Andrew McCarthy since I never found AM that impressive as an actor. But, it is what it is & he was unavoidable in '80's films - i.e., I liked the movie despite his presence, not because of it.

-It was cool that the MR character worked at a record store. I'm a huge music fan, and it was nice to see this element in the film - especially since many dedicated record stores like this one have all closed in the past 5-10 years.

Conversely, while SKOW is a solid film (and I guess many liked the ending better than the ending of PIP), I just don't see it as iconic as PIP. It didn't have that impressive of a soundtrack & I thought the story was much more one-dimensional. I also didn't like how the Eric Stoltz character spent all of his money/savings & his time on a shallow b*$#@ - even though he "saw the light" @ the end and ended up with the right girl.

[ 02. November 2016, 09:48: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty in Pink 8/10

Hughes pretty much directed this one with Deutch and it shows.
Love the cast, especially Ringwald, Cryer, Spader and Stanton.

Some Kind of Wonderful 6/10

All kinds of trouble during the preproduction (Deutch out-Coolidge in-Deutch in) and it shows, Stoltz and Deutch didn´t speak.
Not 100% Hughes feel here and he was also moving away from teen films at this point.
Didn´t buy the sudden change during the finale.

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home