iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » American Gladiators

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Gladiators
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit I was big fan back in the day. My favorite event was Assault; my favorite gladiators were Gemini among the males and a tie between Zap and Ice on the female side. Anyone else watch regularly?
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not a fan but i remember the show. The Finnish Gladiators aired in 1993-94.
The show was produced and directed by none other that Mr. Renny Harlin.

The most memorable gladiator was the late Tony Halme as the Viking.
He got his 30 seconds of fame later in Die Hard: With a Vengeance. His character was called Roman.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the greatest moment in American Gladiators history!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGDwScgb_Y0

I was a huge fan of this show growing up. My brother and I, along with our neighbors, would set up an "American Gladiators" course at our house. It was supposed to resemble the elminator course. There were 3 sections where you had to get past a "gladiator" and you had a set time to get through the course. It was a ton of fun....but usually ended with someone getting in fight (nothing serious).

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two words: Pugil Sticks! [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, yes: Favourite Gladiators were Ice, Lace, Tower and Nitro. Joust and Powerball were good events.

Cool bit of trivia about Renny Harlin ATomik, very underrated director.

I haven't seen any of the new series, though Gina Carano (star of the movie 'Haywire') is also a gladiator. As is former boxer Erin Toughill (who, strangely enough, got beat by Laila Ali who now co-hosts the show!).

Who remembers 'Gladiators' wannabe 'Knights & Warriors'?

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the uk Gladiators when it ran through the 90's. Not so much when they brought it back for a bit a few years ago [Razz]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you were facing gemini on the rings you were screwed
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked all the female gladiators, i would much prefer to wrestle with them, they would probably kick my butt too.

side note, i always wanted one of those high pressure tennis ball shooting guns for myself

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
I loved the uk Gladiators when it ran through the 90's. Not so much when they brought it back for a bit a few years ago [Razz]

Wolf and Jet!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
viper needs a diaper
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
what event would be the one you feel that you could do well at?

i would say the one with the tennis ball gun for myself

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, watched this all the time. Liked all of the events also. Loved it when those co.cky gladiators got beat. GOLD(Tonya Knight) was my fav as we attended the same high school and she graduated w/ my sister. I read she still lives locally in Blue Springs, MO. How about the hosts for that show.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Ryan Seacrest the host of "American Gladiators", the early-1990's version? IIRC, it was one of his earliest TV gigs, long before "American Idol".
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
StevenHW, Ryan Seacrest hosted "Gladiators 2000," which was a spinoff of "American Gladiators," from 1994 until 1996.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Adamle and Larry Czonka were pretty good hosts who gave it a nice sporting atmosphere; later incarnations didn't quite have just the right chemistry as they did. I myself wouldn't have minded having an Atlasphere for my own personal use; you wouldn't have to worry about crossing the street for one thing.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home