iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Fast Rewinds hayday? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fast Rewinds hayday?
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have known of this site for probably 8-10 years but didnt go to the message board till 2011 so havent seen all of the fun unfortunately. I was curious when the highest activity was on the message boards. Was there a hayday when it rarely got slow and if so when was that. Would like to hear your comments and good memories of the Rewind
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I joined in May 2007 that there was 1 or maybe 2 posts over the entire boards each day. But then it suddenly kicked back into life a few months later. It seems to be at its busiest in the Autumn/Winter.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was probably a hey day about 10 years ago. I remember the traffic was really busy at one point. Your topic could get buried easy depending on the amount of posts. I think the early days of the site were significant too in that the 80's revival was strong. As much as I love the 80's, I find that there is other stuff that I got interested. Good music and good film could be in any decade. I also think the site being down for so long has made some older posters disappear sadly for good. I also think that in 2015 there are way more distractions with other websites and smart phones than there were in the previous decade. More competition now. Anyways, always have a soft spot for the site and here's hoping for a resurgence.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was lots of activity in 2013.. most of it was spam though. [Roll Eyes]

That probably didn't count, right ? [Razz]

I can be so mean sometimes.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha [Big Grin]

Would hate for it to be as busy as Riptide described. Would never get anything done [Razz]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that once Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. became really popular, it kind of slowed down. I know I usually check in here only once or twice a week, even if I just read comments. I am on FB every day chatting with my friends.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new "Hayday" approaches hopefully... [Wink]

It might seem that there's not a lot going on with the site apart from a few updates every day but nothing could be further from the truth, even though it doesn't show at all.

The shamefully delayed state-of-the-art locations engine is nearing completion and will, I believe, set a new standard for movie locations on the web. It will go into beta sometime in the next few months and I will be looking for ppl to help with curating/editing/researching and updating this part of the site. It may end up being the main emphasis of the whole thing in the end and I'm pretty jazzed about it and can't wait for you guys to see the potential.

As things get nearer, I'll keep everyone on here posted and give you all an exclusive sneak-peak [Smile]

It's been a monumental task to be honest and taken literally years to develop. It will feature fully responsive design for mobile users and be very interactive. It really will set a new standard and anyone interested in playing a big part in the new locations feature, please do get in touch. [Smile]

After that, the existing site(s) will be completely redesigned and refreshed, adding many new features that were always planned but the technology wasn't viable before...

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already feel alienated by this so-called progress. I literally didn't understand a word of it. [Roll Eyes]

I guess i don't need to apply for the curating / updating job. [Razz]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah..ummm..what??
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, sorry, too much shorthand and not enough context on my part, clearly [Wink]

I realize that the OP was really talking about these forums and so I suppose my answer didn't seem to fit in any way to the question. I was talking about fast-rewind.com as a whole in terms of the movies site that these forums are attached to. That is what "fast-rewind" means to me personally (understandably) as I have to admin the whole thing. Movie pages, trivia, goofs, locations, buying guide and these forums etc.

-Most ppl will find these forums originally through visiting one of the Rewind movie pages at some point and a great 80s movies site means lots of ppl visiting and more active forums as a result.

The movie pages have appeared much the same for years and in short they're stale and going to be getting a major overhaul, starting with interactive and in-depth coverage of the movie locations used in these movies. No longer just a couple of lines of txt that says the such-and-such scene was filmed on blah street, but then & now pictures, maps, streetviews, how the location was used, how it was found later, cast & crew recollections, etc etc...

[Most of you won't remember that fast-rewind originally started as a single page of locations for the Karate Kid and grew from there in the late '90s. You can still see that original page here ]

So, I'm kinda going back to those roots to give each and every movie the potential for really in-depth coverage of locations and have written a software "engine" to provide for this and allow the quality of coverage that I've always wanted without having to write each and every page by hand and allowing for visitors to submit locations and updates or corrections, much like they already do on the existing movie pages for the trivia, goofs etc..

-Think like a "facebook" for movie locations maybe? It will be more clear when ppl see it, of course! [Wink]

This has been promised on the (main movies) site for years but never happened.

So, my post was really to say that this is what will be happening. That the site as a whole is not in any way abandoned or in decline like it has been in the past few years. In fact, traffic is steadily increasing. These forums may be a bit stale (true?) but that is not going to be fixed without the "main" sites being re-invigorated and I figure movie locations is the way to start that process. No-one has ever really done it properly in my humble opinion and so it provides an opportunity for bringing the site back to being thought of as "#1 for 80s movies".

So that's what I was posting about and inviting ppl who might be interested to join in on. 600 movies with an average of 20 locations per movie is 12,000 locations that need to be covered in depth and thats just the 80s movies covered on the site currently.. Obviously the visitors to the site will be submitting many of the locations and much of the information in the long run, although I will be kicking it all off with the best coverage you've ever seen of the locations for movies like:

The wraith
Can't Buy Me love - including a tour of the inside of Cindy Mancini's house as it is now, literally frozen in time
The Last dragon
Witness
Vision Quest - including Grandpa's legendary cabin now exclusively found
Dirty Dancing - including the legendary log balancing location
Near Dark
Mannequin
Sure Thing
..etc

So, I'll need ppl who are interested in 70s & 80s movie locations to help with checking, editing visitor submissions.. the whole shooting match, basically! [Wink]

Ppl with a casual interest meanwhile will be able to enjoy reading and seeing these locations and hopefully the whole site will seem more lively and these forums will pick back up [Smile]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Lol, sorry, too much shorthand and not enough context on my part, clearly [Wink]

Nah, don't worry.. I'm pretty sure it was just me.

I'm the one guy who still refuses to accept the fact that we're living in the computer-age.
Up until september 2008 i didn't even have access to the internet.. Social media is still a world unknown to me..
And i'll take it even further than that : To this day, I don't even have a mobile phone !

..and to be honest, i wouldn't want it any other way !

That's just me.. Welcome to Johnny's world ! [Big Grin]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick. So someone like myself could give information and supply pix about filming locations i have been to in the past?

Johnny, I respect Johnnys world. Cellphones alone give new meaning to attention deficit disorder but on the other hand, I post alot while on breaks at work on my phone which gives me more time at home for other things

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
including a tour of the inside of Cindy Mancini's house as it is now, literally frozen in time -

nick when i flicked up from the bottom of the page all i quickly saw was a tour of cindy mancini's house i thought for one minute you meant forum member cindy mancini - i thought i wonder if she knows your doing a tour of her home [Big Grin]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
i thought for one minute you meant forum member cindy mancini

Hehe, its lucky I didn't say "Amanda Peterson's house" then as that really would have sounded morbid! [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
So someone like myself could give information and supply pix about filming locations i have been to in the past?

Absolutely! That will be the whole point [Smile] An inclusive community where everyone is welcome. You'll be able to post pictures, memories of visits and how you found out where to look etc as well as get confirmed directions & GPS data for future visits. Kindof like a "Facebook" for locations. A place to share and exchange where, like always (at the Rewind) everyone gets proper credit for their discoveries.

To some it might sound all a bit niche and geeky, but in my experience, there are a lot of ppl who are very interested in this stuff and a lot of wrong or incomplete info out there that is very frustrating.

Because we're doing something completely new, there will need to be a lot of refinement and experimentation in the early days and a lot of info from ppl to check and process before it goes up on the site, so we'll need a good solid core of ppl who are interested in joining me to help in getting the ball rolling and then running things in the long run... [Smile]

And, no-one respects Johnnys world more than me as you can imagine [Wink]

April Fool
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37390

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for April Fool   Email April Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been here in awhile, it is me- Lisa/Isis, I got a new computer, and new email, and couldn't remember my old password. So, I made up a new one. I remember back when I first joined the Rewind-around 2002 (which is unbelievable to me), but there were alot of people around then, and I have stayed friends with alot of them, and I do talk to people now through Facebook, but it isn't the same, because not all my other Facebook friends want to talk about the 80s. So, I really miss being here. It was kind of the beginning of the whole computer thing for me, and we use to have a chat group we all would talk on. It is so hard to believe that was 13 years ago already!
Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BabyLove19781999
Ace Rewinder
Member # 2336

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for BabyLove19781999   Email BabyLove19781999   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The site is finally back up. Wow! It's been two years. When did it re-open?
Posts: 371 | From: Ottawa & Fort Lauderdale | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Babylove. I believe it was in February.
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick that is really cool! I agree, that should really increase traffic to the message boards. More importantly, I think it's a great idea. People love to know more about where their favorite movies were filmed.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to have been part of this group a few years back when it was really active and we even had ourselves a couple 80's movie night live chats. those were great. Hopefully we can see some more old faces pop up in here again soon.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember 2004 - 2005 being quite a good time on the boards. Always lots going on...

The Original Nomster [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I joined in 2004. It was amazing. Duckie Dale Winton, Muffy, Cindy, Valley,Isis, Sam, Rainbow etc etc. Such fond memories.

[ 11. May 2021, 04:28: Message edited by: P_a_u_l ]

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It won't let me type Duckie?
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
April Fool
Senior Rewinder
Member # 37390

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for April Fool   Email April Fool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earth Angel- (It is me ISIS),,,,I think I remember why- from way back when, it is because those beginning letters are very close to a couple words that are blocked out for being offensive on here.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
April fool I just hit you with a five star rating,we can't have someone who's contributed so much to these boards with just a one star rating!

You guys were on here way before i was,i can't believe we had a dale winton on here which I find amusing but will be totally lost on anyone living outside the UK!

[ 12. February 2016, 15:00: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I see my 5 star rating has only put you up by 1 star [Frown] I thought it would have lifted you up more than that!

[ 12. February 2016, 14:57: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home