iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » The Dark Knight- Heath Ledger (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Dark Knight- Heath Ledger
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am stopping..."

Good for you. Does that mean no more whining about the state of modern cinema. I fear not...

"The Breakfast Club commercial was playing at the Preview for Batman...and to me that just shows the lack of new movies coming...when they start doing commercials and ads for the Navy, then you know nothing good is being made."

In the UK, we have often had commercials showing before the movie. Doesn't make the movie any better or worse. I would argue that there are plenty of good movies on the horizon but as you are not going to see them what's the point.

"April Fool's Day was a horror movie...and even though that's what it was...you never actually saw 1 person being killed in the movie-otherwise the movie wouldn't have been what it was."

Your point being? Violence is violence whether seen or implied. How you can justify it for one movie yet condemn it for another makes no sense at all.

"This movie is marketed towards kids...there's kid's cereals and all kinds of kids merchandise...and because it is a "Superhero" movie-kids are going to go. It should have been Rated R."

Its rated as 12A in the UK which means nobody under 12 should be allowed to see it without their parents. Similarly the Tim Burton movie was given a similar rating when it came out. Just because there are toys and cereal doesn't make it a kids movie.

"The Watchmen preview....there was a giant naked blue man and a girl that had what looked like duct tape covering her body...and it looked all computer generated...which I think the people were....I could tell from that preview what was going on...because it was a big mess."

Its blatantly obvious that Watchmen is not for you. However, fans of the graphic novel are totally looking forward to it and if you could be bothered to search for it, you'd see that the images in the trailer are pretty faithful to the source material.

The way that you constantly put down modern movies with no real substance to your argument merely demonstrates that you have zero credibility as a movie reveiewer. Arguing about the violence is pretty weak when you take a look at some of the violent movies from the decade you profess to love so much. The Dark Knight is supposed to be grim, dark and violent as its based on a grim, dark and violent graphic novel.

Noms [Cool]

PS In further response to your earlier question about the Joker's conflicting stories about his origins. You are not supposed to believe either of them. Again, as referenced in the comics, the Joker does this deliberately to maintain an air of mystery.

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Dark Knight is supposed to be grim, dark and violent as its based on a grim, dark and violent graphic novel.

that is true.

can i suggest something everyone? how about when we discuss a movie in detail, let's use the **spoilers** alert for those who haven't seen the movie that may pop in to read.. sound fair? [Smile]

i saw the movie last night and my goodness, what a great flick!!

heath ledger, aaron eckhart and gary oldman all gave great performances.

watching heath ledger as the joker... i was just to appreciative that he gave us all one last brilliant performance, and seriously.. he did a fantastic job.
i mean, i was at looking at him, trying to 'find' heath somewhere in his character and you couldn't, because he was that good.

after the movie, everyone cheered and applauded.
dark knight was well worth the money i had spent! [Smile]
yes, i am going to see it again this weekend!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say that I don't like horror movies....I am talking about movies like this one, that are extreme violence....and even though they have a PG-13 rating...people take their kids to them...I am talking about kids 10 and under....

You don't thinking marketing a product has something to do with getting people to go see the movie?

If adults like it...then good....but they do target kids for this movie. April Fool's Day doesn't have it's own lunchbox or cereal.

I would love to talk more about this movie...about certain parts of it...that I don't get why they did it the way that they did...but I'd give to much of the actual movie away...

Yes....I do have 1 good thing to say about it now....my mom has red hair and she use to be a nurse...so my son did think that the Joker dressed as a nurse...would be a good Halloween costume this year for her...and I agreed.

I never said the commercial had anything to do with the movie...I said there was some 80's related stuff going on at the movie...with that preview and some of the actors in the movie.

My son said the next movie won't come out for 4 more years....doesn't that seem like a long time?? My kid will be 19 by then.

Christian Bale will be as old as Michael Cane by then.

Ronnie-what did you think of Maggie?

I didn't like or dislike her....the scene at Bruce Wayne's penthouse...was the part that I thought I might get to liking the movie then...but then after that is where it totally took a turn for the worse to me...and I just thought the violence over powered everything in it...that it was one fight scene after another...and it was very chaotic.

My family liked it....my son thought it was better than the first one...he said that it had alot of "action" in it. Action to me means Violence...so that's what bothers me...is the extent that they take that too.

******Spoliers********

Here's the part I thought was so gross....was the guy at the jail...with the stitches on his stomach***....if you saw that...you know what caused that, and what happened...that made me want to throw up.....that's where the whole movie changed to me, and then went over the top on the violence.

And I am not trying to be an unbiased reviewer.....I never claimed to be that....I am just saying what I saw...and if I liked it or not...just because I didn't...doesn't mean everyone else will love it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and what is funny...is two of my friends said ...how can you go see that movie...it looks evil, and that guy died after making it...and I thought...they are right...why am I even going...but I thought like people on here...to try and give it a chance...maybe it wasn't that bad. So....I talk on here to people who supposedly love movies...because I have always loved movies....but not any more...they aren't the same...and the reason I did come back on the Rewind...is because nobody I know in real life...knows anything at all about the movies of the 80's that I love...they can remember a few of them...but not in detail...and nobody that ever comes here at my Bed N Breakfast or who's my friend ...none of them ever go to the movies any more. I know the guy who runs our local theater and they don't know how they are going to stay in business because they don't get alot of people going to the movies like they use to...people can't afford it, they wait for DVD, and they don't like what's playing....I don't want to see my local theater go out of business...so I do try and go to movies that I "think" I might like. Plus, I like getting out of my house....and going out and doing something......I just wish they made better stuff.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, though i cannot find anything bad about the movie as a whole, i do feel that maggie (as well as katie) both underacted their roles. they could have been better, but it didn't hurt the movie either way.
i'm not saying they should have chosen prettier females, but the acting could have been different.

i love the message of the movie..

***spoiler***

the joker said, quote: "madness is like gravity. all's you need is a little push."
very true.
how anyone who is good, can be bad. the joker proves the intention himself, example: harvey dent.
another example: the two boats - one full of common people, the other full of inmates. they each were given a chance to kill the others.

omg, the scene with the joker dressed as the nurse...awesome! i could not stop laughing [Big Grin] .

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Joker was supposed to be crazy and psychotic. Ledger deserves an Oscar for the role. I could have saved you some money by telling you ya wouldn't have liked it before you went. If somebody goes in with a negative attitude then naturally the movie won't be a positive experience. People weren't talking after the movie either where I went: they were either cheering or unable to say anything out of utter amazement......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, if a parent wants to take his/her six year old to see it, it's his/her business! Kids like this kind of stuff. Not all of them want to go see cartoons. That's why we live in a free country.

April Fools' Day? Pretty awful movie, IMO. Probably why it didn't have a lunchbox.

[ 21. July 2008, 15:09: Message edited by: pettyfan ]

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got homr from seeing this at a Monday Matinee. What a great movie and Heath was incredible. Totally played the part of a psychotic deranged individual perfectly. We had a few commercials before the previews too but unfortunately we didn't get The Breakfast Club one, I was kind of disappointed I didn't get to see that one.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the "SPOILER ALERTS" for ALL threads. PLEASE...watch the info you're giving out to us who haven't seen it yet. Thanks.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

hey all, just wanted to share...
i found this interesting. interview with heath ledger just after he was casted as the joker:

taken from NEWSARAMA:

by Daniel Robert Epstein

I recently got the chance to talk with Heath Ledger at a press roundtable for the movie Candy. While on the hot seat I got the chance to grill Ledger about his upcoming role of The Joker in The Dark Knight.

Daniel Robert Epstein: Have you started to think about how you will play The Joker?

Heath Ledger: Yeah. I’ve been trying to delay my commitment to the preparation process on that because I’m trying to extend my holiday time. I definitely have an image in my head. I definitely have something up my sleeve. I want to be very sinister. It’s so early that I’m trying to be open at this point. I don’t want to be glued down to anyone.

DRE: Have you read many Batman comics?

HL: No and I think that’s kind of helping me a little bit. I was never really a fan of comic books or comic book movies. I never despised them but I was never one to read them. I never sought out the films but I would sit down and enjoy them. So because of that I really feel that I’m not carrying much pressure.

DRE: Have they given or asked you to read certain comics?

HL: The Killing Joke was the one that was handed to me. I think it’s going to be the beginning of The Joker. I guess that book explains a little bit of where he’s from but not too much. From what I’ve gathered, there isn’t a lot of information about The Joker and it’s left that way.

DRE: Is doing the role of The Joker scary after Jack Nicholson did it so well?

HL: I’m not going for the same thing he went for. That would be stupid. It is also two very different directors with different styles. Tim Burton did a more fantastical kind of thing and Chris Nolan is doing nitty gritty handheld realism. I love what [Jack] did and that is part of why I want to do that role. I remember seeing it and thinking how much fun it would be to put on that mask and attempt to do something along those lines. But it would obviously be murder if I tried to imitate what he did.

DRE: They’re talking about bringing in the co-creator of The Joker, Jerry Robinson, as a consultant on The Dark Knight. I don’t know if it would be more of an honorary title.

HL: It probably is [laughs].

DRE: Have you ever wanted to do superhero movies before?

HL: Not really. With the tights and undies and the boots, I would just feel stupid and silly. I couldn’t pull it off and there are other people who can perfectly. But I just couldn’t take myself seriously. I feel like this is an opportunity to be in one and not do that. I just gravitated towards the villain role because I felt I had something to give to it. I instantly had an idea.

DRE: Have you done screen tests with The Joker makeup yet?

HL: No, but I did do 3-D image scanning. I don’t know what they’re doing with it. This Bat truck turned up at my place in L.A.. It had these gadgets and cameras that zoom around you and up and down you. It instantly projects a three dimensional image of you. I’ve never used anything that high tech before in a film. I felt like I was in the truck from Knight Rider.

80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting indeed...Doesn't seem like he was too into this project at the time of this interview.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

regardless of that, he still knew what he wanted to do, and it worked...beyond expectation.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
It actually is very sad about his death when you watch the movie...because in real life they said Heath was a really quiet person, that he hated people following him around-like photographers...he didn't seem very outgoing....it's weird that he was able to do what you have to do to be an actor...when he seemed so shy.

I can't help but to say this...Heath Ledger did say that playing that role really did goof up his head, and that he had alot of trouble dealing with it.....I really feel that this kind of stuff absolutely doesn't effect your mind. I have been asking lots of people in real life what they have thought of it, everyone who has seen it said they liked the first one better...and that even though it was "dark" too...that it wasn't so creepy. Everyone that I talked to said it was definately to long.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i knew that it was approximately a 2 1/2 hour movie and I was really surprised when it ended because it didn't feel like I was sitting that long.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When a movie comes along that great it can last as long as it wants in my opinion. Like Sam I also didn't feel like I had been sitting for 2 and a half hours. I've already saw it three times and will be seeing it again this weekend....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
When a movie comes along that great it can last as long as it wants in my opinion. Like Sam I also didn't feel like I had been sitting for 2 and a half hours. I've already saw it three times and will be seeing it again this weekend....

i completely agree. how can something that is that good, be too long for you to enjoy?

i too am going to see it again this weekend..so looking forward to it.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

can I go with you? I'll buy the soda and popcorn [Smile]
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Because there is a point where the movie has to end, and they surpassed that by 1/2 an hour...there were a bunch of scenes they could have taken out...and I actually think that if some of it had been edited better...it might not have been as bad as it was. I thought it was going to be over before the 2 ship scene happened...

*****spoliers coming -don't read ******

Ronnie-you said about the boat scene, and how it was proof that it proved that bad people aren't always bad....(which it was absolutely predictable that neither side would do it)...I knew that big guy wasn't going to do it....
but I didn't look at that as being "Noble", because like the other ship of people were saying...they had their chance, and they blew it...and they were all criminals....I wouldn't have blown them up either...but if I was a criminal and had any compassion in me...I would know that I had done bad stuff...and that I deserved to be where I was...so what he did wasn't surprising. That was actually the one and only good thing they stuck in the movie.

***another spolier****

Ronnie-you said about the Joker saying the gravity quote...well it is true....all people need is someone to push them and they fall right off the edge...and they proved his point with Harvey Dent...look what they did to him...they turned the best person in the whole movie...into a killer, and made what the Joker said...be the truth... what they should have done, was prove that not everybody can be pushed to turn to the Dark side. They all covered it up at the end...and that to me was the worst part of the movie...is that Batman made himself look like a criminal to protect a man who turned in to a criminal...to make him look like a good man-which he had been-but he changed, and the Joker got his point across to everybody.

******major spolier*****

This is the part I do not understand...they had to make a choice on who to save...and they saved the person they thought would save Gotham City...and in return for them saving him...he went bananas...it wasn't the Police who did that to him ...they were trying to save him...so why was he so ungrateful.....he could have gone for the skin graph.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

*********Spoiler************

The Joker flipped the addresses. The address he gave for Maggie was actually for Harvey Dent and vise-versa. Batman foolishly took The joker at his word and went for Maggie because of his feelings for her and the police went for Harvey or so they all thought. Harvey and Maggie were able to converse with each other and knew the circumstances at hand. Harvey felt that Maggie was worth saving more than himself. He felt that his life would have no more purpose without her in his life. So when Batman 'accidently' saved Harvey instead of Maggie thus toasting Maggie. Harvey than felt that there was no justice in the world and that his life up until that point had been a lie. Unfortunately he had no idea that The Joker gave the wrong addresses on purpose. Harvey was very easy to sympathize with. He was still a good person who just got pushed into a horrific situation. Batman realized that and knew that for the good of Gotham that he had to take the blame for Harvey's actions.

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

For those who are into something other than your typical cookie cutter movie (beginning, climatic middle, happy ending) this movie goes over some peoples heads perhaps. The whole point in the movie was to the dark side Isis. You simply don't understand to most Dark Knight fans, this movie was pretty much spot on with the comics. The editing was perfect and no scenes should have been cut. Perhaps if you were actually familiar with The Dark Knight comics series as opposed to the cheeseball movie they made in 1989 and labeled Batman then you'd be able to see why the movie is a cinematic masterpiece and make understandable comments on the movie. Not every movie begins and ends the way you'd want it to. Not every character falls in love and dances off into the sunset to 80s music. How boring would that be?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I don't know why you think I think all movies should have a happy ending...or whatever...I am never saying that...you guys always put that out there as if I said it.

Well...I am not alone in not having read the comics...because neither had Heath Ledger.
He said he hated comics...so not having read them...didn't seem to keep him from being praised for it....

Sam.....I really still don't get it....I know Harvey was in love with Maggie...and thought he couldn't live without her....but...no matter how they saved his life...if by accident...then he can't fault them for not saving her...when they tried and someone fooled them...either way...they were trying to save them both, and the whole thing was a mess...and that's the part that was driving me crazy...because it kept going so fast....

****spoliers****

I hated that they killed Maggie....if they would have saved her...then it would have been alot better...the fact they kill her...and everyone else-at least once in the movie-wether it was real or not....it just got monotonous with the killing stuff....I hated that scene with the guy in the bank....he starts blowing the bad guys away...like some action hero...then he gets shot and is laying there dying...then they stick a bomb in his mouth and blow everyone up...

The Joker stabs the guy in the eye with a pencil....they shoot everyone they came in contact with....
you just know ...everyone dies...and that they are going to die horrific deaths....

who in the movie does Batman even save??

I know that the Joker was suppose to be a maniac...but they don't have to be so over the top with the violence. That music was pounding over and over and over in every scene....it got to me.
I have always loved action movies...like Lethal Weapon and Die Hard...but in admist the bad...there's alot of good....Like you see the Good Guys families...and the fact that they do have some morals...but I didn't like Bruce Wayne's attitude ...he was way to egotistical...so I only ever got the impression from him in this movie that he was a big spoiled brat.

I did come up with someone that I think would have been cool as the Joker.....

Christian Slater.

He's funny, and he always reminded me of Jack Nicholson...and he has been in action movies...and I have always liked him as an actor.

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

We say that because you are always questioning why everything is so violent and we are trying to say that's the way the comic book was. The point wasn't that Heath Ledger had never read the comics. The point was that fans who read the comics and the majority agree that this was a cinematic masterpiece. Christian Slater is a horrible actor who would have done the same disservice to the Joker character as Nicholson did. Bruce Wayne was in no way egotistical. What were you expecting? Him to be driving an 88 Firebird jamming out to Def Leppard? What you are suggesting they do to the movie is just exactly what you compain about everytime something is remade which is typically hypocritical. Maybe the movie would have been better to some had it had a bunch of 80s has beens in it who haven't done anything in years because they lack talent and are only able to snag cheesy roles in poor film.....

[ 23. July 2008, 17:02: Message edited by: MotleyRulz ]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Cripes...Christian Bale totally screwed his lines up at the dinner table with the blonde and Maggie and Harvey...he talks like he has a lisp, and sometimes I couldn't even understand what he was even saying. So, I don't how he can be given such great credit in this movie...for acting. Heath Ledger really only had 1 liner parts in the whole movie. "Why , so Serious?"...and "Let's Put a Smile on that Face", and then some other profound words of wisdom.....but really he didn't have alot to actually say....so in a 2 1/2 hour movie.....for what he said and did....that's where I have the trouble with the Academy Award Winning....you look at actors like Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood and Paul Newman, and the movies they won awards for...believe me they had much more dialouge.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Sometimes it's what you say with your body and eyes. Look at Louise Fletcher in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest a role in which she won best actress. She didn't really say anything exciting in the whole movie but what she said with her eyes spoke more volumes than anything she said with her mouth. I felt she well deserved her Oscar for that performance.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
That's not totally comparable...she actually had alot more dialouge than The Joker...I have seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...about 20 times...I do get your point though....but I still don't think this movie is an Academy Award winner in anything except special effects.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home