iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » The Davinci Code

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Davinci Code
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We watched it last weekend, it was on regular TV. I fell asleep at the end. But, everyone told me what happened.

My husband and son said that they previewed the sequel to the Davinci Code at Quantum of Solace. They said it's called Angels and Demons, and Tom Hanks is in it.

The Davinci Code is about them trying to finding the Holy Grail...but then that turns in to something else. If I say what...then that ruins the end.....

But, it all has to do with Jesus, and his decendants. I am not a religious person. I would love to believe in all that, but I have a really hard time understanding any of it.

But, I was wondering....I don't know the bible well at all...but I do know that I have heard them say that Jesus was married to Mary Magdeline (I don't know if I spelled that right)...
does anyone believe that?

We were talking about this tonight...because I was saying how did we get the calender that we all go by...because the Earth sure is older than 2008 years. So, we are living in A.D., right?? Which is after Christ was on the planet...right? B.C. was prior to him being here. But, why did people start keeping track of time when they did...and how come we have no records of what happened in the year #2, or year #23? I know of stuff happening clear back in the 1200's.....but I can't think of anything prior to that....

We weren't here in America yet until the 1400's...right? So, who and where were people keeping track of time? Was it in Greece? Was it the Romans that started the calenders?

How come that time period came over here...?? The Indians weren't keeping track of the days of the week. Right?? I don't really understand how the calender that we go by...ever got started.

Isn't it mind boggling that we only have been here in the United States for a little over 600 years.

I actually am part American Indian. All I know is I am part Sioux Indian. But, my son said that even the Indians didn't originate here....he said they crossed a land bridge in Russia...in to Alaska...and then there was a massive earthquake that seperated the land masses. I never knew any of that stuff.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just comment on the movie....I liked it and can't wait for the sequel.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Immensely enjoyed the book, hated the movie.
Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure fiction. And apparently the movie sucked as well....

As for why it's 2008, the major decision-makers back when these things got decided were the churches (most specifically the Catholic Church). The Julian Calendar was set in what we now call 46BC by the Roman Emperor Julius Caesar, and has 7 days in a week, 12 months, a leap day every 4th year in February etc. The system of numbbering the years as either BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini, or The Year Of Our Lord) was proposed in 525 but not fully adopted until the 8th Century.

That meant that a lot of older historical events had to be mapped to the new dating system, and this might be why you don't know of many events that happened before then. Things did happen, but it's a long time ago, and recording and communication kinda took second place to survival for most people back then,I guess.

Whether you believe in Christ's divinity or not, his existance is an established and accepted historical fact, so dating from then is perfectly acceptable, whichever side of the Fence Of Belief you sit.

Lot more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the movie myself, but then again Tom Hanks could stand in front of a brick wall for an hour and a half, and I'd still go watch it!!
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Dangerously, you iceholes....:
Pure fiction. And apparently the movie sucked as well....

Paul, did you see it? Just asking because you said "apparently."

I never read the book, so I can't compare. Wasn't a great movie, but good enough for me anyway. I do love these types of "treasure hunting/conspiracy/myth" movies.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bits of it, yes. However, the whole thing is based on such a damaging premise that I couldn't, and after seeing the reviews, wouldn't sit through it.

Thing is - you'd never find anyone making this kind of movie about any other religion. Can you imagine the uproar if it had been a movie that basically said "Hey, moslems! You know everything your religion is based on? Well it's wrong, and here's a book / movie to prove it!" Apparently Christianity is seen as a soft option and an easy target, because nobody calls a fatwa on the writers / director.

But the original question was about the content and not the movie, right? So it doesn't matter what's been seen, just what we think?

[ 18. November 2008, 04:27: Message edited by: Paul Dangerously, you iceholes.... ]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Paul, you're absolutely correct with your take on the religion aspect. I'm not Catholic, but I did go to a Catholic School for 4 years when I was young and I feel I'm pretty educated with their religion. I really don't like talking about religion because it always seems to stir things up when I do, but I will some here.

First off, I was raised as a Christian and do hold many of it's beliefs, but I absolutely can't stand bible thumping and preaching. With so many religions out there, to say that one is correct and all the others are not, is ridiculous to me. Who's to say any of them are right....we won't know til we die. To me, the Catholic Church has major issues. Just the fact of the amount of tax-free money it takes in is astounding. They also have more rules, regulations, and by-laws than the United States Constitution. I remember one day I was eating my lunch at work on a Friday afternoon....happened to be a ham sandwich. Someone said to me, "You can't eat meat on Friday, it's a sin." Someone else then said, "No, it's OK....the Pope said it's alright now." I was cracking up in my mind. It's alright because the Pope said so? Did God come to the Pope in a dream and say it's alright to eat meat on Fridays now? Very strange beliefs.

Back to the topic....my question was about the movie only. I was asking if you saw the movie....nothing more. I'm not saying that I believe the story, I just enjoyed the idea of the story. I have the DVD boxset - The DaVinci Files and find the whole thing fascinating. I just love conspiracy theories and how they came to be.

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An average film, but it does hold you through to the end, and I guess that's all you can ask for. Most of Brown's theorems have been debunked by many serious scholars, so best just to see it as a taut thriller than any serious religious treatise.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the movie was OK to good. Not as good as all of the hype but watchable. The sequel looks promising.
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read all of Dan Browns books, And I actually think that the two not dealing with religion, DIGITAL FORTRESS and DECEPTION POINT would make really good movies!

Haven't seen the Da Vinci movie yet, cuz there is no way it can live up to the book. But I will get around to it, eventually I guess.

Just saw the Angels and Demons trailer, and it looks pretty good. I found the ending of that book a little too outlandish. But I applaud people who take religion to task, as I am agnostic. I personally question everything to the point where people find it slightly annoying!

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw The Da Vinci Code.... I fell asleep twice, so I had to skip back! It does not do the book justice, and when you already know every outcome of every twist and turn, it gets boring real quick!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home