iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » hardest things to leave behind in the 80s? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: hardest things to leave behind in the 80s?
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEST DECADE EVER!
 -

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Great topic...came to the conclusion is what I miss is people walking around with ghetto blasters, now today it's all ipods and such, they are so small, you can't even see speakers anymore.

I hear ya. It seems so, impersonal.
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimpickens
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5801

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jimpickens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having cable and being able to find something to watch. As a teenager you and your your friends could sit out at night talking and the only trouble you'd get from the law would be if you or one of your associates was considered an undesirable or you were out after curfew. The women were smoking hot (not saying that the 90s didn't have some foxes you just had to look in the right places)because they made an effort to look good when they stepped out not like nowadays.
Posts: 64 | From: weston,wv | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
if you build it
Rewind Curious
Member # 7228

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for if you build it   Email if you build it   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"and I miss this pop we use to buy in a glass bottle that was pina coloda flavored" Original by ISIS

Are you talking about Zeltzer Seltzer? That is one thing I definitely miss!

Posts: 6 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimpickens
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5801

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jimpickens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I miss those seltzer sodas too.
Posts: 64 | From: weston,wv | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, it's not so much a problem now, but I really missed being able to openly admit to being a Kylie Minogue fan!

Seriously, I miss that we could be more individual back then. I mean in terms of style, almost anything went. I remember in High school, if you wanted to wear 2 watches at once you could and no one cared. You could wear the brightest coloured tshirts and no one batted an eyelid. I remember that in school I had pretty a different hair style nearly every day! And you could wear badges (pins) to support your team or your favorite band or tv show, and no one thought any of it.

I think it's been coming back towards that again lately, so the kids today are really lucky, IMO. But for the 90's and most of the Naughties (as much as I love the last 18 years), it seemed to me to be a fairly conformist era.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimpickens
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5801

Member Rated:
Pretty ironic when you put into consideration that in that decade everyone considered themselves a nonconformist.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think today...alot of people like to run their mouths...and act like they are "hip" and "trendy"...but I liked when people weren't so phoney. That is probably one of my biggest pet peeves about people in their 20's today. They seem to not have a clue where they fit in.

I was talking to some younger girls the other day, that work for the local paper...I do my advertising through them...and they were saying that they don't drink and "party", so they have a hard time meeting people...because everyone hangs in the bars around here.

I never met anyone in a bar ever in my life. I have rarely even been in a bar. I use to meet people everywhere I went. I met people where I worked....but I met people because I was a big talker.

It seems that everyone now...uses Myspace to meet everyone.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimpickens:
Pretty ironic when you put into consideration that in that decade everyone considered themselves a nonconformist.

Is it nonconforming when everyone does it?
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss:

- The McDLT
- Checkered Vans
- Soft rock
- Synthesizer music
- Hi-Tops
- Hair Metal babes
- USA's Up All Night
- Ronald Reagan
- Corduroy shorts
- Old School WWF Wrestling
- Susanna Hoffs
- Summer camp movies
- Swatches
- Atari and NES
- G.I. Joe and Transformers
- Zips
- Arena rock
- Underoos
- Headbanger's Ball
- Lakers/Celtics rivalry
- Datsuns
- Gatorade gum
- Record stores
- You Can't Do That on Television
- The Original Cookie sugar cookies
- Ghostbusters cereal
- Steve Guttenberg
- Miami Vice
- Mix tapes

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great list journey....I'll add to it:

Parachute pants
Not Necessarily the News
Fat shoe laces
Voltron
Stick ball
Friday night videos
Tons of arcades(and bowling alleys)
The real Smores Crunch cereal(not the crap they make now)
Denim jackets with patches and buttons
Crimped hair on hot women
Shell toe ADIDAS
Kick the can
Capture the flag
Hard nose hockey(when you were allowed to be physical)
MacGyver

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are both right!

I also miss:

Malls
The old boardwalk on the beach
Cheap gas
70s and 80s cars
Old style (80s) arcades (they were everywhere)
HBO was MUCH better
Mtv actually showed videos (Rock videos)

Just the whole feeling of the 80s. The vibe of it.

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:
Just the whole feeling of the 80s. The vibe of it.

Exactly.
I miss it so bad at times that it can really make me sad. [Frown]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my list. I miss...

THE WONDER YEARS!!!!!!
Smurfberry Crunch cereal
Bar None candy bars
Opera Cremes cookies
O'Boise's chips
the McDLT (c'mon, hot on one side, cold on the other...genius)
hair metal
Metal Edge magazine (the way it was then, not now)
THE WONDER YEARS!!!!
Atari
Smurfs, Shirt Tails and Get-along Gang cartoons
The Wuzzles
those book and record sets I used to have as a kid--I wish I still had them
You Can't Do That on Television!
Growing Pains, Who's the Boss?, Perfect Strangers
THE WONDER YEARS!!!!!!
those really cheesy 80s horror movies
I also miss Christmas as a kid...I had the best Christmases ever
I also miss looking at the Sears Wishbook and the JC Penney's Christmas catalog and picking out all the stuff I wanted

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
Here's my list. I miss...

Smurfberry Crunch cereal

That used to rock! I forgot all about that one. Good post.
Willow
Master Rewinder
Member # 4953

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Willow   Email Willow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster04:
My innocence and my youth...

I have to agree.
Posts: 105 | From: Indiana | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yup! Gone forever... Sh1t!... [Big Grin]
80's_wild_child
Rewind Curious
Member # 7503

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 80's_wild_child   Author's Homepage   Email 80's_wild_child   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sear's Christmas Catalog, for all of the toys I wanted as a kid circa 80-92).
Posts: 9 | From: Orlando | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss picking out new stuff in the Sears Catalog too.
I miss being young and in college, what a blast.
Hanging at the mall and going to Thrift Drug and paging through all of the Metal mags- like Metal Edge and Hit Parader.
I'll think of some more later. Good topic.

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
I miss picking out new stuff in the Sears Catalog too.
I miss being young and in college, what a blast.
Hanging at the mall and going to Thrift Drug and paging through all of the Metal mags- like Metal Edge and Hit Parader.
I'll think of some more later. Good topic.

I used to read Hit Parader, too. I also liked Circus. Ah, those were the good ol' days of hair metal...
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, pettyfan, I knew I was forgetting one of the most important mags- Circus! I still have a few, they are on my bookshelf. I also picked up a couple of metal mags at a flea market that were out of Oregon called Aardshok. I never did get to look through them though.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

My mom finally made me throw all mine away. She said I had too many...and I did, LOL.
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked (ME):

As far as the look is concerned, I miss having my hair down to my a** and the whole denim and leather rocker look. Women were at their hottest in the 80's. They actually cared what they looked like when they went out and did all they could to "impress" us guys. I loved the big hair, teased hair and permed hair, but what I loved most was the crimped hair. To me, that was sexy on women.

For my buddy Jack Burton....posted June 30. [Big Grin]
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha... Nice buddy. I am in total agreement with you, just for the record!!
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with almost everything that's been said here.

i'll just add what i miss most, and it's probably because i'm older now, was being young and finding movies on cable tv that i wasn't supposed to see but was able to thanks to Showtime and The Movie Channel airing R rated films all day long. especially when my parents were still in the house. it felt like i was getting something over on them. specifically, i remember seeing Over The Edge, My Tutor, H.O.T.S., The Last American Virgin, The Amityville Horror, countless t-n-a movies, and this great canadian sketch show on Showtime called Bizarre, hosted by John Byner and introducing the comic stylings of Super Dave Osborn. Super Dave was at his best on this show.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home