iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » At work, how often do you daydream about 80's music and movies and memories?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: At work, how often do you daydream about 80's music and movies and memories?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a reeeal slow day at work yesterday. It was almost like watching paint dry, but without the excitement(cha ching). I am lucky I don't have a job where people's safety depends on me like an air traffic controller, but i couldn't help thinking of some times I watched 80's movies for the first time, I was thinking too of those guys in high school who seemed to drive around the school all day with the stereo cranked, and never seemed to go to class. I know some Rewinders who check here during work hours, just wanted to know if there were more?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm out on the Wal-Mart parking lot as a cart-pusher for 8 hours every day. I find myself thinking about all sorts of 80s things...I often do impressions of 80s characters, I quote scenes from 80s movies and I hum or sing various 80s songs. Since I'm on my own for most of the day, nobody can hear my bad singing voice.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for those working class/lone wold types, I am one of them myself. I have the radio at work, and usually the noon hour show has a bunch of 80's tunes on it. And when I get real creative, sometomes I will break out the cardboard and try to attempt some old breakdancing moves fro yesteryear. Bust a move y'all!
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody is home today at my house but me, so I was making candy for my husband's 40th birthday party next weekend, and I play 80's CDs whenever I am doing housework, or baking, and I just love spacing out and remembering stuff from each song that reminds me of something from when I was younger. Today I was listening to the song "Our House"...and I was thinking about my family...my brother, growing up on our street we lived on. Today is the anniversary date of when my grandmother died, and I was talking about her last night with my mom, because it was 19 years ago, and I was 18, and it is hard to believe that it has been more years now that she has been gone, than the years I had spent with her.
She died on my Uncle's birthday, so that was quite a bummer, to have your own mom die on your birthday. So, today is kind of a drag, cause I remember I had only been out of highschool one year, and I was in travel school, and I had to leave because she was in intensive care, and my old boyfriend came and picked me up, and brought me back home. I remember going up to the high school in the middle of the day, to get my brother,because they said she was going to die-and my parents wanted him to be able to say good bye...and I walked in the school, and it felt so weird to be back in there after having spent so much time there. And I couldn't find my brother, cause he was in the cafeteria, and the bell rang and they were changing classes, and my senior class English teacher (who I was good friends with) saw me in the hall, and so did a friend of mine's mom who worked at the school as a study hall monitor, they helped me find him, cause when they saw me.. they wondered what was wrong. But, I think about how great it was to see familiar faces, and people I had know for years, and how nice they were to me, and how they knew my whole family, and just the compassion people had for each other was so strong back then.

My neighbor that I had been taking care of over last summer...she died in Novemeber around Thanksgiving, and this girl that had known her...her whole life..she was the one to tell me she died, I didn't know where they had even taken her to, and it was a week after she had died, and she was so mean to me over it, and I thought...what the heck is wrong with you. But, I see that more and more today that people are detached from each other, and death doesn't seem to bother people like it should, like it does to me.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rocksteadyflamethrower:
I'm out on the Wal-Mart parking lot as a cart-pusher for 8 hours every day. I find myself thinking about all sorts of 80s things...I often do impressions of 80s characters, I quote scenes from 80s movies and I hum or sing various 80s songs. Since I'm on my own for most of the day, nobody can hear my bad singing voice.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Wow, I do all those things, too! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jabeen-I still feel that way about my Aunt, and she has been gone almost 7 years, I can't believe it...it is hard to watch video tapes, especially of my son's birthdays when he was younger, cause she's on them. I never thought about it when I was video taping everything, how hard it is to watch it now.. when you see a person you miss.

Does anyone else think it makes it harder to watch a video of a person you loved, or does it comfort you to see them again and hear their voice? Does it help you remember them?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I always cry when I see movies of my Aunt Rose & Uncle Jay. They died a while back.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quote/reference/discuss that kind of thing all day (I'm at Blockbuster) or at least, say have movie dialogue or songs playing in my head. Heck, when I'm bored, I'll sing and try dancing to '80s songs (I don't like anyone catching me do that, LOL).

On a serious note though: Concerning, say videos or pictures of loved ones who've passed away, I think it's good to revisit them every so often. I'm definitely glad we still have home movies of my grandma on my dad's side (who died in '89 - all my grandparents have been dead for over ten years now--they were older when I was born). Until the day I die, I'll never forget them or the experiences we all had, and I wouldn't want to.

I've found though, that if you spend much time watching or looking at stuff, it can make it even sadder in a way. There's a "realness" to anything you personally experienced (IMO that's why it's a very strange feeling when anyone you know dies), so you almost expect them to still be around and with you, then you have to remind yourself they're not.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really bad for getting songs stuck in my head, so I try to make sure my Ipod is playing something I really like on the way to work. But it doesn't take much to knock it out and put another one in there. Doesn't matter if it's 80's or whatever.
The other day I had The Partyboys version of "He's gonna step on you again" swirling around my head. At least it was better than last Saturday - I had the Hamsterdance stuck in there. Aargh!

The fact that I'm the oldest at work (apart from my boss) means that I'm always bringing up 80's references that no-one has ever heard of.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnGeLEyeZ
Master Rewinder
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnGeLEyeZ   Email AnGeLEyeZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i know i think about the 80's a lot...i visit this site from my job [Big Grin] hehe (office)
Posts: 192 | From: NJ JerzShoreBaby! | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm way to busy at work to have time to think about the 80's or any other decade while I'm at work. My job is very time consuming. I do however get a song stuck in my head from time to time but thats about the extent of my thinking about anything real fun while at work.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home