iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Heavy Metal 1981...opinions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heavy Metal 1981...opinions?
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was just listening to my favorite Journey song, 'don't stop believin'.. and i looked journey up on IMDB, come to find that they had a song in the movie HEAVY METAL. the soundtrack listing is great! i wondered if anyone ever saw the movie cause i was thinking of checking it out. i know it's animated, and i haven't seen too many serious animiated flicks, but figured someone here can give me an opinion on it, before i watch it.

sammy- seen it??
rhodes .. can you give me a review??? [Confused]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the DVD, it's certainly not your average animated flick, first viewing I couldn't predect what was going to happen next and have subsequently watched it several times. The style of drawing & animation is pretty unique, it's not rotoscoped like "Fire & Ice" (drawing a person from frames of a real person walking etc.) nor does it have the simplicity in drawing style that Disney etc. films have.
The themes it revolves around are dark, twisted, messed up and adult in nature (swearing, nudity & sex scenes). It was on my to-get list for a while so was pleased when I found it at a car boot sale and that it turned out to be good.

I recently saw "Heavy Metal 2000", it follows the similar theme of people wanting absolute power from evil, but I felt it's too slick and lacking something that the original Heavy Metal film has.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie this is a great animated adult movie. The music is outstanding and the stories while way out there are twisted cool. I loved John Candy in it, he had me cracking up. Also, Captain Sternn is a riot. This movie is dark humour at it's finest in my opinion.

Also, the voices were like SCTV the animated version with Eugene Levy, John Candy, Joe Flaherty, & Harold Ramis.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie, I have only seen the movie once and that was about 20 years ago. All that I remember is that there was cartoon nudity in there and not much else. I do know that I like quite a few songs from the soundtrack but my memories of the movie are very limited. Might need to rent this one in the near future.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie While I never saw the movie in the theater, I once saw the video at a Holloween party which someone was able to get a hold first in 1991 which ironically was 10 years after it was first released. Heavy Metal is one of those movies which you shouldn't try analizing but rather you should kick back and enjoy. It's the true party movie when you've got a "beer buzz" going.I honestly think the Soundtrack is awesome. It includes "Heavy Metal" by Sammy Hagar, "Open Arms" by Journey and other great artists . The annemation is super and can be compared to that of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

HOPE THIS HELPS CAPTAIN RHODES [Big Grin]

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you very much kind sirs [Smile]

i am totally interested in seeing this movie.

wizard, heavy metal 2000 didn't even dawn on me, until you mentioned it. i remember hearing about that one too.

\m/(o_o)\m/

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it DONT STOP BELIEVING? I thought it was OPEN ARMS (in the segment where the futuristic cabbie sleeps with the girl).
I watched HEAVY METAL again this year and it really doesnt "hold up" well. Then again, my friend who saved all his HEAVY METAL comics lends me some from time to time and I dont feel the same way looking at them now that I did when I was a teenager. So I guess HEAVY METAL hasnt aged well for me.
But the best segment is the one I mentioned with Harry the cabbie guy.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

no, you were right sweetpea...

open arms is in the movie.

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to nitpick....but when a movie is called HEAVY METAL a soundtrack with JOURNEY and CHEAP TRICK is not the way I would have went. They shoulda' had heavier music. Oh well.
I didnt like HEAVY METAL 2000. It follows one story, where in the original HEAVY METAL there were ,like 4 (I think.)
I think the 4 story formula works better because theres more of a chance that ONE of the storys will appeal to you.
Now lets try to remember the storys from ONE ,folks.
1. The cabbie
2. The kid who turns all-powerful (voiced by John Candy)
3. The guys in the spaceship doing what I can only guess is space cocaine
4. The futuristic warrior chick

Did I get em all?
Oh and of course the little girl with the glowing ball.......

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home