iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Break Up Songs (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Break Up Songs
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure..but was this a part of I love the 80's?? I know they did Make out songs of the 80's.

But, I was just listening to the radio, and the song Drive-by The Cars was playing, and ever time I hear that song...I think of when I went to an football game with my cousin back around 1984, it wasn't our school, she had a crush on a guy from another school, and he was her neighbors nephew, so her neighbor took us to a football game he was suppose to be at, and he was there allright but with another girl, and I remember my cousin cried the whole way home that night in the car, and the song Drive played on the radio, and it made her bawl even harder.

So, I was thinking that when you start dating someone, or have a crush on them...in the beginning every song that you hear reminds you of them, and you think someone wrote them just for you, and then when you break up...every song is sad and depressing, and it makes the pain even worse.

Does anyone else remember ever breaking up with someone, and then you'd be driving along or be out somewhere and a song would start playing, and you'd be all bummed out over breaking up.

Hands to Heaven by Breathe and
Someday-by Glass Tiger were Break-up songs for me that I remember hearing them and being all bummed, and Foolish Beat-Debbie Gibson.
I was the one always doing the breaking up, but still..I would think afterwards...
did I do the right thing.

[ 24. May 2005, 06:37: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard this song in a shop today and I never thought that I would hear it again in the naughties. However I used to love it when I was at school which was about 1992-1994 - the song is 'Tangled. Also love "King of Wishful Thinking"...I know that they qualify as nineties songs but they were amazing break up songs for me.....
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know its not an 80's song,but theres one by THE CURE from the Wild Mood Swings cd called BARE and it just cuts me up when i hear it.here are the lyrics....see what you think.

IF YOU'VE GOT SOMETHING LEFT TO SAY
YOU'D BETTER SAY IT NOW,
ANYTHING BUT ''STAY''
JUST SAY IT NOW.
WE KNOW WE'VE REACHED THE END,
WE JUST DONT KNOW HOW
''WELL AT LEAST WE'LL STILL BE FRIENDS''
YEAH ONE LAST USELESS VOW.....

''THERE ARE DIFFERENT WAYS TO LIVE''
YEAH I KNOW THAT STUFF
''OTHER WAYS TO GIVE''
YEAH ALL THAT STUFF,
BUT HOLDING ONTO USED TO BE
IS NOT ENOUGH.
MEMORIES NOT LIFE,
AND ITS NOT LOVE.

WE SHOULD LET IT ALL GO
IT NEVER STAYS THE SAME,
SO WHY DOES IT HURT ME LIKE THIS
WHEN YOU SAY THAT IVE CHANGED?
WHEN YOU SAY THAT IVE AGED?
SAY IM AFRAID....

AND ALL THE TEARS THAT YOU CRY
THEY'RE NOT TEARS FOR ME,
REGRETS ABOUT YOUR LIFE
THEY'RE NOT REGRETS FOR ME.
IT NEVER TURNS OUT HOW YOU WANT,
WHY CANT YOU SEE?
IT ALL JUST SLIPS AWAY
IT ALWAYS SLIPS AWAY
EVENTUALLY....

SO IF YOU'VE GOT NOTHING LEFT TO SAY
JUST SAY ''GOODBYE''
TURN YOUR FACE AWAY,
AND SAY ''GOODBYE''
YOU KNOW WE'VE REACHED THE END
YOU JUST DONT KNOW WHY
AND YOU KNOW WE CANT PRETEND,
AFTER ALL THIS TIME....

SO JUST LET IT ALL GO
NOTHING EVER STAYS THE SAME,
SO WHY DOES IT HURT ME LIKE THIS
TO SAY THAT IVE CHANGED,
TO SAY THAT IVE AGED
SAY IM AFRAID....

BUT THERE ARE LONG,LONG NIGHTS WHEN I LAY AWAKE
AND I THINK OF WHAT IVE DONE,
OF HOW IVE THROWN MY SWEETEST DREAMS AWAY
AND WHAT IVE REALLY BECOME.
AND HOWEVER HARD I TRY,
I WILL ALWAYS FEEL REGRET
AND HOWEVER HARD I TRY
I WILL NEVER FORGET....
I WILL NEVER FORGET....

I WILL NEVER FORGET.

[Frown]

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the mentions of the Go West and Cure songs, perhaps this should be in the Rewind Social Club section instead.

If I may choose an *EIGHTIES* break-up song, I would pick "I Miss You" by Klymaxx. It's a great R&B song that is as impressive as the group's dance work.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My list of 80's break up songs is unbeatable for sheer self pity value. Just try listening to these when you next break up:

"What's Love Got to Do With It" by Tina Turner
"Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison
"Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marxx
"Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler
"With or Without You" by U2

p.s I hope that doesn't happen for most of you out there [Big Grin]

Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did state that i knew The Cure wasnt an 80's song,but i felt it fitted the topic.
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Smaytie dude! [Big Grin] [Wink] Long time no see..

My all time favorite breakup song would have to be: 'Eyes Without a Face' by Billy Idol.
It has all the right ingredients with a perfect mixture of grief and anger.
This is a GREAT song all the way!

I'm all out of hope
One more bad dream could bring a fall
When I'm far from home
Don't call me on the phone
To tell me you're alone
It's easy to deceive
It's easy to tease
But hard to get release

Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Got no human grace your eyes without a face.

I spend so much time
Believing all the lies
To keep the dream alive
Now it makes me sad
It makes me mad at truth
For loving what was you

When you hear the music you make a dip
Into someone else's pocket then make a slip.
Steal a car and go to Las Vegas oh, the gigolo pool.
I'm on a bus on a psychedelic trip
Reading murder books tryin' to stay hip.
I'm thinkin' of you you're out there so
Say your prayers.

Now I close my eyes
And I wonder why
I don't despise
Now all I can do
Is love what was once
So alive and new
But it's gone from your eyes
I'd better realise

Such a human waste your eyes without a face
And now it's getting worse.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breakup-type songs can be interpreted differently.

(1.) You are falling OUT of love with your partner, and want to break up.

(2.) Your partner leaves you and you are devastated.

(3.) You already have broken up a while ago, but are still deeply hurting.

...But there is one other kind of breakup song that we haven't discussed yet. I call it the "Good Riddance!" breakup song. The kind of song that you angrily tell your ex- that you are better off without him/her.

Such as (not necessarily 80's):

"I've Done Everything For You", written and originally sung by Sammy Hagar, and later done by Rick Springfield.
"Hit The Road, Jack" by Ray Charles.
"I'm Still Standing" by Elton John.
"I'm Doin' Fine Now" by New York City.
"Don't Shed a Tear" by Paul Carrack.
"Red Rubber Ball" by The Cyrkle, and written by Paul Simon.
"I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor.
"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon.
"It's All Over Now" by Rolling Stones.
"Song For the Dumped" by Ben Folds Five.
"Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" by Steam, and later covered by several other groups, including Bananarama.
"Big Shot" by Billy Joel.
"You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrisette.
"I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out Of My Hair" from the Broadway musical, South Pacific.

...and if you want an danceable (but risque) "kiss off" song, try:
"Short D|ck Man" by 20 Fingers & Gillette, from 1994.

I'm sure there are lots more examples!
[Cool]

[ 24. May 2005, 14:58: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys break up songs hmm here is my list
missing you john waite
all cried out lisa lisa
seperate lives phill collins
againest all odds phill collins
right here waitting richard marx
i think thats about it for me [Smile] smayt your song was so sad if you came to TX i would never break your heart [Smile]

Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Alone again (Naturally) by Gilbert o'Sullivan.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
Hey TKO my partner in crime!
How ya doin buddy?Its always good to see you around here.And yeah Eyes Without a Face is a great song,it is the best one BIlly (truely thy name is)Idol has done in my opinion.
And Rainbow my sweetie,thanx for likin the sad lyrics to the Cure song.Nice to know you'd never break my heart baby [Wink]

deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you guys' choices are great - I don't know the Cure song you posted, Smayt, but the lyrics sure gave me goosebumps.

Love Bites by Def Leppard is another one on my list, also I'll Be There for You by BonJovi.

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, it appears that some of you are forgetting that this board is an 80s music board. [Wink] [Wink] (Wink, wink, ha, ha! [Smile] )

Yes, I know that you're stating that some of these aren't 80s songs, but still, if you're on an 80s music board... [Wink]

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Endless Nights --Eddie Money
Can You Stand The Rain --New Edition
Bang Bang --Danger Danger

Quite the variety, but ones I remember listening to for sure.

Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great choices everyone.

here's a good one...

Dixie Chicks - FLY

Ain't no talkin' to this man
Ain't no pretty other side
Ain't no way to understand the stupid words of pride
It would take an acrobat
And I already tried all that
I'm gonna let him fly
Things can move at such a pace
The second hand just waves goodbye
You know the light has left his face
You can't recall just where or why
So there was really nothin' to it
I just wanna cut right through it
I said I'm gonna let him fly
Ooh yea yeah
There's no mercy in a live wire
No rest at all in freedom
Choices we are given
There's no choice at all,
uh huh
The proof is in the fire
You're tough before it it moves away
But you must always know how long to stay
...and when to go
And there ain't no talkin' to this man
He's been tryin' to tell me so
It took awhile to understand the beauty of just letting go
Cause it would take an acrobat
And I already tried all that
I'm gonna let him fly ...fly
I'm gonna let him fly... fly
whoa I'm gonna let him fly
Well, I'm, I'm gonna let him fly

-ronnie

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
What about that 2004 song by er....oh ya know..!
[Big Grin] HAHA just kidding ya there RockSteady [Wink]

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little Miss Take by Skyclad

"Could it possibly be, that in your dictionary
Love and lies are defined both the same
I know how you can catch your ideal man
Join a singles club for the insane."

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anna Sullivan:
[QB] My list of 80's break up songs is unbeatable for sheer self pity value. Just try listening to these when you next break up:

"What's Love Got to Do With It" by Tina Turner
"Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison
"Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marxx
"Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler
"With or Without You" by U2

Ditto - I would also like to add "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues and "They Dance Alone" Sting

Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
End Of The Road - Boys II Men
Cryin' in the Rain - A-ha
(Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams
The Flame - Cheap Trick
Never Say Goodbye - Bon Jovi
Open Arms - Journey
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Chance
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4217

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J. Chance   Email J. Chance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember those bad ole crushes on the unattainable guy/gal. More fun than salting a paper cut. Even so, I kind of miss the intensity.

Don Henley "I Can't Stand Still"

I know you love me
You know I love you too
You know I always will
No matter what you do

You say you haven't got another lover
You say you only want to make the scene
Then you try to keep it under cover
What does that mean?

And baby, I can't stand still (while he's holding you)
I can't stand (while he's kissing you)

So we got a little problem, baby:
How to put together love and work
If I could figure out that one, darlin'
I could save us from a world of hurt

I remember when we walked together
Makin' love on a summer night
Guess we thought that it would last forever
We were all right

But baby, I can't stand still (while he's holding you)
I can't stand still (while he's touching you)
Baby

I can take it if you need some freedom
Understand it if you miss your friends
Don't you ever try to think of me some
You never tell me where you've been

You say you haven't got another lover
You say you only want to make the scene
Then you try to keep it under cover
What does that mean?

I can't stand still (while he's kissing you)
Baby, I can't stand still (while he=s holding you)
I can't stand still (while he's kissing you)

Posts: 77 | From: Up north | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alone by HEART
that was a hit when I got dumped by my first real boyfriend. I still sob when I hear it.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
"End Of The Road" and "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" aren't 80s break-up songs. [Wink]

I have an unusual 80s break-up song:

"Smalltown Boy" by Bronski Beat

It isn't a romantic break-up song, but instead about the break-up of a family when a son comes out of the closet and is kicked out of the house. Not all break-ups are love-oriented.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOH...I found another goodie:

I'LL BE OVER YOU
Toto

Some people live their dreams
Some people close their eyes
Some people's destiny
Passes by There are no guarantees

There are no alibis
That's how our love must be
Don't ask why

Bridge:

It takes some time
God knows how long
I know that I can forget you

Chorus:
As soon as my heart stops breakin'
Anticipating
As soon as forever is through
I'll be over you

Remembering times gone by
Promises we once made
What are the reasons why
Nothing stays the same

Bridge:

There were the nights holding you close
Someday I'll try to forget them
Someday I'll be over you

Chorus

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Here's another by Toto...

I need to go listen to them!!

I Won't Hold You Back :

If I had another chance tonight
I’d try to tell you that the things we had were right
Time can’t erase the love we shared
But it gives me time to realize just how much you cared

Now you’re gone, I’m really not the same
I guess I have myself to blame
Time can’t erase the things we said
But it gives me time to realize that you’re the one instead

Chorus:
You know I won’t hold you back now, the love we had just can’t be found
You know I can’t hold you back now

Now that I’m alone it gives me time
To think about the years that you were mine
Time can’t erase the love we shared
But it gives me time to realize just how much you cared

Chorus
(instrumental break)
You know I won’t hold you back now,
The love we had just can’t be found
Listen to me baby
You know I can’t hold you back now

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
OOOH...I found another goodie:

I'LL BE OVER YOU
Toto

god i love that song. i need to pull out my Toto's greatest hits tonight.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home