iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Best drummers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best drummers
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just watching a video by The Who and got me to thinking who are the greatest drummers of all time. Keith Moon of The Who is right up there along with John Bonham of Led Zeppelin and Neil Peart of Rush.

your turn

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BONHAM IS KING OF DRUMS. Just watch the Danish tv special of theirs. He goes insane on those drums. and listening to songs like "Good Times, Bad Times," you can hear him using double bass techniques and triplets and all that way back in '69, and that was with one bass drum and pedal.

Neil Peart -- Master & Perfectionist
Alex Van Halen
Randy Castillo
Greg Bissionette (DLR)
Jim Rutledge/Rick Cobb (Bloodrock)

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of an pen-pal exchange that I had back around 1983-1985 with some others.

One person asked me who my favorite all-time musicians were and broke it down in instrumental categories: (guitar, bass, drums, keyboardists, sax, etc.)

So, here what I chose at the time:

Keith Moon (The Who)
Ringo Starr (I know; very obvious choice)
Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)
Martin Chambers (The Pretenders)
Clem Burke (Blondie)
Neil Peart (Rush)
John Bonham (Led Zep)
Stewart Copeland (The Police)
Phil Collins
Tony Thompson (Chic and The Power Station)
Maurice White (Earth Wind & Fire)
Nick "Topper" Headon (The Clash)
Max Weinberg (Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band; "Conan O'Brien")
Also, the studio session drummers for Motown Records!

[Cool]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil Peart IMHO is the best.

I also liked Tony Thompson (RIP). Man he could hammer those skins.

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony Thompson is dead? When did that happen?
Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2003/11/1907.cfm
Answered my own question. This is the kind of thing I miss out on working nights. Bummer.

Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drummer Tony Thompson Dead At 48
Wednesday November 19, 2003 @ 04:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Tony Thomspon

Last Wednesday (November 12), drummer Tony Thompson — who came to fame with Chic and later, The Power Station — died after a battle with renal cell cancer. Thompson was about to celebrate his 49th birthday when he passed away, leaving behind his wife Patrice and their two children.

Thompson, known for his powerful and perfect drumming, had a long and rich career. He first gained recognition with Patti LaBelle’s group, LaBelle, before joining Nile Rodgers, Alfa Anderson, Norma Jean Wright and Bernard Edwards in the funk/disco band Chic. Chic were hugely successful, scoring a #1 song with "Le Freak" in 1978. "Le Freak" is so catchy and danceable that even the metal kids in my third grade would bust out some disco moves during class parties. Even now that it’s become a retro staple, it’s still irresistible.

Following Chic’s demise, Thompson went on to join Duran Duran’s John and Andy Taylor in The Power Station, for which the first singer was Robert Palmer, who, sadly, died earlier this year. The Power Station had hits with "Some Like It Hot" and a cover of T. Rex’s "Get It On (Bang A Gong)." Thompson’s drumming propelled the songs, and cut through the overly slick ‘80s production; he may have made a name for himself as a funk drummer, but the sheer force behind his pounding was pure rock. This was proven when he joined Led Zeppelin for their reunion show at Live Aid in 1985. The show went so well, they recorded some songs together. However, they were never released.

As is so often the case with musicians, Thompson lived his life without health insurance — would someone please have the good sense to make insurance affordable to artists! — and now his family is faced with the added stress of copious unpaid hospital bills. Tax-deductible donation can be made at tonythompsonfund.com or at nilerodgers.com.

Without hyperbole, Thompson was among the finest drummers around. Powerful yet tasteful, he made good bands great. He’ll be missed.

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
Oops, wallyum. Sorry. -Didn't see your link.
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay what about the One Armed guy from Def Leppard? I think that he is pretty amazing considering his handicap. SOrry I don't remember his name right off. I saw a documentary on Def Leppard a few years ago that talked about the fact that they never even considered the fact that he wouldn't be playing with them.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in no pictural order lars alrick steve adler matt sourm roger tayler paul cook jason bonham eric singer eric carr peter criss mike borden alex van halen neil pert max wineburg dave grohal keith moon larry mullan jr. joe karmer jack irons chad smith that should just about cover it
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 words - Ringo Starr. Enough said.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O come on people...The answer is

DAVE LOMBARDO!!!

Regularly voted the best drummer on the planet ever on numerous polls...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lots of good choices I see here.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jlp937-Sunflower Goddess asked:
quote:
Okay, what about the One Armed guy from Def Leppard? I think that he is pretty amazing considering his handicap. SOrry I don't remember his name right off...
His name is Rick Allen. Of course, his drum kit setting is quite different because of his condition! Still, it is amazing what he can do.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i for got a drummer in my orignal post bill ward
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gina Schock of the Go-Go's
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Travis Barker from Blink 182

[ 25. March 2005, 12:21: Message edited by: CT......The Son Of Scarface ]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

one can't forget Ian Paice
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't this the 80's music board?

In that case I'm nominating TERRY BOZZIO -MISSING PERSONS. Those of you who were lucky enough to see this band live in the 80's know what I'm talking about. He is a monster on the drums. Just incredible.

Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
Yes, but probably most people were looking (or staring) at Dale Bozzio instead! [Smile] [Smile]
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

quote:
Originally posted by ERIC 31:

In that case I'm nominating TERRY BOZZIO -MISSING PERSONS.

I know somebody who is happy with this choice
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's me sam!!

i came that close to posting in this thread, and my choice was going to be terry bozzio-AWESOME!!!
i never saw terry except for in videos, but i get it, just from hearing their music.

glad to see another missing persons fan! [Smile]

:+: do me dump me rill me rock me :+:

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
Yes, but probably most people were looking (or staring) at Dale Bozzio instead! [Smile] [Smile]

terry and his ex dale practically looked identical in the face at the time, thanks to the make-up. [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pre 80's, but Gene Krupa
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
that's me sam!!

i came that close to posting in this thread, and my choice was going to be terry bozzio-AWESOME!!!
i never saw terry except for in videos, but i get it, just from hearing their music.

glad to see another missing persons fan! [Smile]

:+: do me dump me rill me rock me :+:

See if you can get a copy of the Missing Persons video from the 1983 US Festival. It's awesome. Clear footage and they played in the afternoon so you can see everything. I got mine off eBay.
Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home