iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Eminem took Martika's "Toy Soldiers"!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eminem took Martika's "Toy Soldiers"!!!
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh god, this should have never been allowed to happen [Roll Eyes] . Why do I have to see thugs getting shot and bleeding to death in a video to one of my favorite songs from the late 80's?? It's just not right!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Cindy, you didn't know about this song? I have this thing called a radio and if I leave it on for 30 seconds that song comes on.

We are DEVO and yes that song blows

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wasn't martika's toy soldiers about drug addiction?

i wonder if mr. mathers was even of fan of the original.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo, I knew about this song at least a month ago I just chose tonight to vent about it. Cut me some slack jack! [Wink]

And yes, Ronnie, the song was about drug addiction.

-

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Martika OK'd it, as I am sure she got a pretty good chunk o change outta it...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More specifically, I believe it was about Martika's brothers addiction to cocain.
Just to riff a little here, I think Martika is very highly under-rated as a performer and songwriter (particularly on Martika's Kitchen). I understand the she now works behind the scenes in production, but wouldn't it be great to hear some new material from her?

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree stitch. I think she was under-rated as well. Her songs remind me of the summer I went to camp...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one time at band camp....
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cindy...If you was'nt to happy about the Eminem sampling Martika'a "Toy Soldiers". You should hear(New York Rapper)....Camron song titled "Girls". He stole it from Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

When will the MADNESS stop [Smile]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
CT, didn't Camron also take The Police's "Roxanne" for his song "What Mean The World To You?"

He should have stuck with "Horse & Carriage", hahahahahahaha. [Big Grin]

Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at Cindy...Knowing about Camron [Big Grin]

Horse & Carriage is the "Butta Baby" CAMRON also uses T.V. Show Themes from the '80s in his songs like:

The Theme To Magnum P.I.
The Theme To Hill Street Blues
The Theme To Night Court
The Theme To Give Me A Break
Monday Night Football Theme
ESPN's Theme

I like your style Cindy [Smile] [Cool]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've got dance versions of Waiting for a star to fall by Boy meets girl and Everywhere by fleetwood Mac....both hot on the heels of the Brian Adams dance version travesty of last year.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have to be mad at the original artists for selling them the rights.
this became all too abundantly clear to me when Mariah Carey did a DEF LEPPARD song! Like Def Leppards hurtin for the money!!!!(Same can be said of Sting letting P Diddy use a POLICE song. For shame!)
I actually havent heard it yet. I hate Eminem. He's my age and trys to act like a teen thug. (Rolls eyes). Word.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hain 666:
one time at band camp....

[Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P. Diddy Sampling "Kashmir" = WRONG

...and am I the only one that thought Martika was pretty hot?

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpecialK
Master Rewinder
Member # 2152

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SpecialK   Email SpecialK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Wilson:
...and am I the only one that thought Martika was pretty hot?

Nope. [Big Grin]
Posts: 221 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
Camron also sampled the song...."Picture Perfect". I forget which '80s rock band sung this song?????

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home