iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Catchiest intro's to 80's songs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Catchiest intro's to 80's songs
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are some of the best most, distinguishable intro's to 80's songs? A cool riff, a weird noise, or just an amazing sound thatjust gives the song your immediate attention?

Thinking of something like Boom Boom Rock me Amadeus, boom boom Rock me Amadeus.

This intro to a Corey Heart song I love:
And no it's not Sunglasses at Night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6gFqm8iTo

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a couple by Pet Shop Boys that I always really liked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9E5i7l-Eg&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3Ay1Y2Kks&feature=fvsr

And the opening beat to New Order's "Blue Monday" is always a winner to me too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyoDbX1EkPQ

[ 23. February 2012, 11:27: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Riptide.. cool thread!

how about:

- (click to play)

- (click to play)

- (click to play)

- (click to play)

- (click to play)

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one worthy of mention: ABC's The Look Of Love.

http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=FcchCQuXrH8

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Northern Pikes - THhings I do for money
What an intro, would make the Edge jealous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfMA9nYzo2M

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is another one that I know about. Europe, The Final Countdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so stuck on Rock You Like a Hurricane (The Scorpions), at the moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxdmw4tJJ1Y

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Master of Puppets
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Queen - Flash

Cutting Crew - Just Died In Your Arms

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maxi Priest - Some Guys Have All The Luck

Tight Fit - The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
O.M.D - Enola Gay

Kim Wilde - You Came

Dolenz85
Senior Rewinder
Member # 10835

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dolenz85   Email Dolenz85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J2ME:
Tight Fit - The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Great song, did you read the Youtube comments - hilarious! [Big Grin]
Posts: 78 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That song just rubs me all the wrong ways..
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When ever I hear that song - lion sleeps tonight I instantly think of john Cusack's 1987 comedy - hot pursuit which I really like,it's a different group performing the song in the movie but I instantly get that connection,same as if I ever hear level 42s lesson in love that plays at the end of hot pursuit I instantly think of the movie.

If it's a song I like anyway and it turn's up in a movie that I also really like i find it makes any future listenings of that track even more pleasurable for me.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolenz85
Senior Rewinder
Member # 10835

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dolenz85   Email Dolenz85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
When ever I hear that song - lion sleeps tonight I instantly think of john Cusack's 1987 comedy - hot pursuit which I really like,it's a different group performing the song in the movie but I instantly get that connection,same as if I ever hear level 42s lesson in love that plays at the end of hot pursuit I instantly think of the movie.

If it's a song I like anyway and it turn's up in a movie that I also really like i find it makes any future listenings of that track even more pleasurable for me.

It's the same for me when I hear 'Don't forget about me' by Simple Minds, it will always conjure the image of Judd Nelson punching air as he crosses the football field in The Breakfast Club closing frames [Smile]
Posts: 78 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll Wait- Van Halen
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Even though it's 79. I always loved the real intro to "Take the Long Way Home" By Supertramp.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING 80'S
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7744

4 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for KING 80'S   Email KING 80'S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take On Me - A-hA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

[ 12. May 2013, 17:03: Message edited by: KING 80'S ]

Posts: 95 | From: CANADA | Registered: Feb 2009 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Was listening to some odd intros recently. Wall of Voodoo has one with Mexican Radio. No idea what they attempted to play on it.
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DePeche Modes People Are People.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyGDiUnta4

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Nice piano intro. Reminds me of 8th grade band practice for some reason. Those big blockbuster albums like songs from the big chair had like 6 singles that would be on the airwaves for two years. Now albums are gone in two months!

Another one is the long version of A Flock of Seagulls I ran. The long eerie intro where it builds up is such a keeper!

Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the noises at the beginning of Modern Love and Cities in Dust. You know those?
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home