iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Favourite 80's guitarist (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favourite 80's guitarist
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rules are you can only pick one:

I am gonna go with Eddie Van Halen:

While there are many many many great guitarists from this era, and it is vary arguable as to who is the best due to different styles and whatever I just feel that Eddie truely sums up the 80's and what it means to be a guitar maestro:

BTW, I am not saying he's the best, just that he's my favourite:

-

You gotta check this link to witness his effortless mastery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULEBSxP725w

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yngwie Malmsteen, Long live the King!

-

-  -  -

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
billy gibbons
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all of those great zz top tunes and there are only three guys in the band. i have to go with gibbons
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just 1 pick huh?

OK. I'll go with...

Steve Stevens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue5tDcIjpLk

though there are many I like, Stevens has always been one of the most awesome to me.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What am I saying: One pick, that's ridiculous. Let's give full reign to your favourite 80's guitarists.

aTomiK, should have known you would go with The Scandinavian King. Yngwie is a freak. Very smooth and right up there.

TGP, never been a big fan of ZZ Top myself but hey. I actually don't mind a couple of their songs but.

Pyro: I have not seen much of Stevens guitar work so thanks for posting the link. He's phenomenal. I love guitarists that can play a wide range of styles.

OK, next up for me:

Slash:

I love Guns N' Roses so much it hurts:

-

I have a Epiphone Les Paul: It was a bit too pricy to get the Gibson that I want, but will get it one day. For now the Epiphone is more than adequate.

Ok, here's another:

Nuno Bettencourt:

-

This guy is a freak. Do you wanna playyyyyy!

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok, I am giving this thread a jump start, cos I know we can get some great guitarists featuring here. Maybe even a bit of a friendly debate:

Mark Knopfler totally knows how to make it cry and sing:

-

An extremely clean guitarist, especially for a finger picker.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m gonna pick Tony MacAlpine next.

Excellent guitar wizard and also a fantastic keyboard player.

Tony MacAlpine - Autumn Lords

-

-  -  -

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i like mike campbell from the heartbreakers

angus young

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hadn't even heard of MacAlpine but I just listened to the link you posted. Cheers aTomiK. He's pretty damn good. Will listen to more. I listen to a lot of music in my car so I will make up a CD and enjoy the swirling solo's.

TGP - Gotta love Angus Young. ACDC are a great Aussie band and probably the only Aussie band to make it big in America, but perhaps INXS as well.

I saw ACDC live at the start of 2010 in Sydney for the Black Ice Tour. So good. Angus doesn't do quite as much running around anymore but he's still an energiser bunny, and has just freakish skill.

I have so much respect for all these guitarists. Think about how many hours each day they must have practiced to get that good. It's f...in' amazing.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
aTomiK. I just checked this one out by MacAlpine. It's f..kn' amazing. He is right up there. WOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVDmUDnZXk&feature=related

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great clip! He still has the touch, 24 years after the tune was written.

I´ve been a T Mac fan since the beginning.
New album coming this summer:

-

Check out also his classic band album MacAlpine: Eyes of the World (1990)

Tony MacAlpine Escape The Hell

Tony MacAlpine Wild Ride

-

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Man this guy rocks. When I first saw that picture of him that you posted, I thought this guy is a major dork but after watching some of his clips, he is a freak. It's totally my kinda style of guitar. He's definitely one of the best guitarist I have seen.

Thanks for putting it up. I honestly had not heard of him before. There are just that many bands / guitarists out there it's crazy. Plus I was only born in 81 and didn't really discover music until I was about 14. I fell in Love with the Doors at that age. I always say about music that the doors opened up the doors for music for me. I love Robbie Krieger's guitar work too. Very different and very cool.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
joe perry

bb king

clapton

cc deville

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Some great picks there.

Joe Perry is cool as and one of Slash's biggest inspirations.

BB King - so cool and has mastered the art of the pentatonic and blues scale. It's amazing that he can do so much with only a couple of scales. He's very inventive.

Eric Clapton - the guy is just an unnatural freak. Can rock out totally or play a mesmorising classical piece. Legend.

CC De Ville. Never got into Poison that much however I like a couple of their songs. Every Rose.and Nothing But a Good Time (great party song). He is however a very good guitarist.

Interesting trivia: Slash actually tried out for Poison and lost out to De Ville. Slash openly despised the band after that.

Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Edge of U2
Posts: 4119 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
lomax, check out zz top song bar-b-q, some great guitar there
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta go with our local man Reb Beach.
Also like all of your pics above guys, except for The Edge. I'm not a big fan of U2, but I do like a couple of their songs.
How about Steve Vai too?
There are soooo many great guitarists that came out of the 80's!

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B.B. King wins every decade. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
He's definitely the king of blues. That's for sure.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy Rhoads was always my favorite

I also liked Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Steve Vai, Steve Stevens and Yngwie Malmsteen

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
stevie ray vaughn
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy Duffy

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:

-

Eddie Van Halen & Brian May - Star Fleet

-- read the juvenile posts on that video. lol

Star Fleet Project (1983)

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't pick just one! You guys listed some of the best! I'll add Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, George Lynch, Joe Satriani, Jonny Petrucci..... so many! Acoustic greats like Al DiMeola, Andy McKee, and Don Ross....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htobScsOB70&feature=related

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home