iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » What is Love?- Howard Jones (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is Love?- Howard Jones
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is another song I use to love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE61Bz7IHKg&feature=related

Anyone else like it?

I miss music like this.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hojo had some hits, stuff like Things can only get better, no one to blame, Live your life in one day. Takes me back when I hear his stuff.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget this one....New Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FagjnIgUk6Q

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howard lives in the same town as me, about a mile away from where I am sat typing this....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever met him?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure - he's a real nice guy. some of his more 'spiritual' thoughts are a little out there, but he's a real good musician. Does more production work nowadays, and has worked with some friends of mine on some albums.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and both my sisters love HOWARD JONES. He played a small club near my oldest sister a few years back and we all had tickets to go but there was horrible snow and we never did make it.

His Greatest Hits CD is awesome.

I remember there was a show called THE LIST on VH1 a few years back and people ("celebrities") would go on there and list there favorite songs. I remember someone brought up how much they loved HOWARD JONES and THOMAS DOLBY- who was also on the show that day - started tearing into how much he disliked HOWARD JONES!!! I was like "Can we say Sour Grapes? Cuz I can think of at least half a dozen HOWARD JONES songs I like and only TWO that THOMAS DOLBY did!"

HO JO:

What Is Love?
New Song
No One Is To Blame
Things Can Only Get Better
Like To Get To Know You Well
Life In One Day
Everlasting love
Pearl In The Shell
Always Asking Questions
What A Beautiful World

THO DO:

Blinded Me With Science
Hyperactive

[ 22. October 2008, 07:18: Message edited by: mamamiasweetpeaches ]

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember some other songs from him

The prisoner
You know I love you

He had a lot of hits, I think he doesn't get much credit maybe because he didn't have a typical over the top 80's image like others. He looked more like John Tesh than let's say Adam Ant.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Thomas Dolby the inventor of the Dolby Sound System? He probably didn't have to worry much about musical success after that.....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was he?????
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Oh I like you... you make me smile!

[Wink] [Razz]

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Now this is very interesting. I looked on WIKIPEDIA to see if that Dolby story was true (its not) but it was worth goin' over there cuz I now know that Thomas Dolby played with many other musicians, for example- he played on a DEF LEPPARD album and a FOREIGNER album. I totally never knew that! He just went up a few rungs with me! I take back that nasty "he only had two songs" comment!
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL I was betting somebody would look it up. Everytime I say that to someone they check up on it...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I sort of feel gullible for fallin for that one..but how the Hell do I know who invented Dolby???? (Or as they say in SPINAL TAP "dubbly"!)
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Dolby also played the keyboard on one of my favorite Whodini songs Magic Wand, he also was in a group called Girls at our best that I am trying to get.
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
Wasn't Thomas Dolby the inventor of the Dolby Sound System? He probably didn't have to worry much about musical success after that.....

Ray Dolby is the man behind the Dolby Noise Reduction System.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Dolby

Thomas Dolby is not related, because his real name is Thomas Robertson. He just liked the name, so he used it. But the Dolby Laboratories tried to sue him to stop "adopting" the name.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willow
Master Rewinder
Member # 4953

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Willow   Email Willow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
This is another song I use to love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE61Bz7IHKg&feature=related

Anyone else like it?

I miss music like this.

I had this 45 single. I used to play it all the time.
Posts: 105 | From: Indiana | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard 'What is Love' over a intercom and didn't know who sang it? I knew every word of course.....and jotted it down to look up later........I love it! I'm not as knowledgeable in music but I want to be....I need to be schooled.

So tell me Howard Jone's story?? other hits? what albums do I need to look up?

I'm EXCITED!

I know 'I'd like to get to know you' from Better off Dead [Big Grin]

Ummm Paul your so supppppppppper cool.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
muffy listen to 'everlasting love.' it's one of my favorites by him. [Smile]
i personally think 'no one is to blame' is a terrific song, top notch as far as 80s songs go. beautiful lyrics!

quote:
I heard 'What is Love' over a intercom and didn't know who sang it? I knew every word of course.....and jotted it down to look up later
wow.. lol i thought i was the only one that did that. sometimes i would be in a department store, i'd hear a song i liked and didn't know who sang it or what it was called...and do a draft text on my phone with the lyrics so that i could look it up later. [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie you and I are so alike [Smile]

I did another one this week too......"What's your reputation....be near me...be near"

Found out it's ABC [Smile]

I just youtube'd Howard Jones and I knew so many songs....totally listened and sang along to 'No one is to Blame' love it!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
be near me...great song, muffy! [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some of his other hits in the UK:

'No One is to Blame'
'Things Can Only Get Better'
'New Song' (my fave)
'Pearl in Shell'
'Look Mama'
'Life in One Day'

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out 'Hide and Seek' too.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Admirer:
Check out 'Hide and Seek' too.

Like that one a lot, very unusual choice for a single.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
No one is to Blame keeps getting stuck in my head every time I listen to it! I'm loving experiencing music I knew but didn't really know [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home