iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched? (Page 104)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107   
Author Topic: Last 70's (or earlier) film you watched?
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Escapement (a.k.a The Electronic Monster) from 1958.

-

When an insurance investigator flies to the South of France to look into the mysterious death of a movie star, he finds a far more tangled web of death, torture and evil intent.

This has a very fifties 'mad scientist / megalomaniac' theme running through it, and the possibility of world domination through brainwashing key people is played (and revealed) in quite a subtle manner.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´ve been watching old Universal monster films with my son. I´ve been neglecting these for some reason but now it´s time to shape up.
So far we´ve watched Dracula (1931), Frankenstein (1931) and the Mummy (1932). Frankenstein was the best of this bunch.

-  -
 -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mystery science theater. Horrors of spider island.1960. Pretty funny and lots of bikini s
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, I'm going to spam you all with my Hammer Frankenstein reviews [Razz]

The Curse Of Frankenstein (1957) Ahhh sweet satisfaction. One of the greatest horror films of all time! Although they're so, so different in their approach, look and feel this and Frankenstein (1931) are the most impeccable versions of the story put to film in my eyes.

I haven't watched this series through since 2013. And whenever it's been that long with films I love I doubt my own self on just how brilliant they really are going in. But what a dafty, Hammer very rarely fail me. And they have bloody everything in this, Peter Cushing, ahhhh, Christopher Lee, my fave director Terence Fisher, writer Jimmy Sangster, cinematographer Jack Asher, 3 incredible producers, music by James Bernard, gross make up, amazing costumes and sets. Atmosphere, dread, Peter Cushing in that rare ruthless sinister role, tension that just gets bigger and bigger and bigger, bam!

I owe so much to all of these people and many more who have produced some of the greatest horror films and feels for me since the late 80s. 10/10

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Revenge Of Frankenstein (1958) - Fan-bloody-tastic! While this one still has much of the same crew from the first film it feels quite a bit different. Mainly in the writing of Frankenstein, or 'Victor Stein' in this one, and the way that Peter Cushing plays him. While he is still ever the arrogant swine who commits the most heinous acts, you actually see that other side to him that doesn't come out as much in Curse where he really just does believe that he is here to help people. I absolutely share the same glee with him when he thinks he has successfully given the man with paralysis a healthy body.

I loved how they started straight from the end of the first film and the fact he had that plan in case he was recognised was just wickedly genius. A damn fine first sequel! 10/10

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Evil Of Frankenstein (1964) - I hate speaking poorly of Hammer, I really do. But needs must. This dumbed down mess is an abomination. To Hammer and especially to this series as a whole. It just starts anew ignoring the first 2 films. Gone is the sinister, ruthless, lunatic genius Baron. Instead we get a Frankenstein who is merely a bit of a grump. There is nothing to this one. Nothing to the characters or story. Nothing. I do wonder if this had been the only one of the series that I had seen would I just be able to enjoy it for the basic, copycat, torch wielding crap that it is. Then I think nahhhh.

2 points for Peter Cushing, 1 point for the beautiful matte drawings and 1 point for the explosion. Otherwise screw this film. 4/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) - Back on track after the appalling Evil Of Frankenstein. I've never given this a perfect score before but I can't fault it and enjoyed every moment. Well the one thing I've never been a fan of was how they had to turn her blonde. Just seemed every media outlet as a kid screamed blonde equals beautiful and this was just another of those moments. No biggie, just a little bugbear [Razz]

Anyway Frankenstein here is like a softer extended version of how he was in Revenge. Now experimenting on himself (killing himself for an hour) and upping the ante with soul transference. After the burns from the previous film he can no longer operate but has Dr. Hertz to do that for him, who is a great addition.

But this is the film that is least about the Baron himself and more on all of the other characters. I get vibes of other films watching this one. Like a twisted Romeo and Juliet. I also get Carrie vibes particularly in that really distressing pub scene where those 3 turds (straight out of A Clockwork Orange with their sticks, hats and mannerisms) bully Christina. And sitting through them listening to that awful song they sing up at the window is heartbreaking.

The feel of this film is so different to the others. Very melancholic and dreamlike. Even during the revenge. Love the sombre ending and the score is dramatic and amazing. Fantastic stuff! 10/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) - Woah!! Although I knew this was the darkest entry to the series I had forgotten just how utterly frightening this whole picture is. My God. This one seems to ignore the previous 2 entries and go more along the look and feel of Curse and Revenge. Only while in those films you can feel something for the Baron and the method to his madness. Here there is not one redeeming feature whatsoever. It is the most terrifying portrayal put to film. My heart was going like the clappers. There are no limits to what this man might do here. And he does it all in the most dapper outfits haha. Saying all of this I was still left feeling shook and sickened at the end. Wow!! Amazing. Dark, dark, daaaaaaaaark. 10/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Horror Of Frankenstein (1970) - I wasn't quite in the right mood for this one. Usually like it a little more. As much as I love Ralph Bates especially in Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde (if you haven't seen it stop everything and do it now!) I just wasn't ready for a Cushing less one. Glad he's back for the last one.

This one feels more black comedy than horror which hits and misses at times. Cool to see writer of the first 2 Jimmy Sangster getting to direct. And nice to see Veronica Carlson again. Although quite why her character dotes after this arrogant sleazy incompetent Frankenstein I do not know. It's a credit to Ralph that you just want to slap him around the face all film. 6/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell (1974) - Wowzer!! This one is miles better than I remembered. I loved the whole wacky story, the beautiful asylum setting complete with miniature. But most of all Peter Cushing's return where he went from the most vile portrayal of the character in Must Be Destroyed to the most loveable here. He even cracks up at one point. Him and the fabulous Shane Briant made a fine, fine double act. I can only imagine what went through the young guys head during that face off between them. Must've thought all his Christmas' had come at once. A strange one in how the first 3rd of this film and other parts was almost like watching a 60s Corman-Poe film rather than a 70s Hammer. The atmosphere is ripe for a candlelight October viewing. 9/10
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:

The Curse Of Frankenstein (1957) - 10
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) - 10
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) - 10
The Revenge Of Frankenstein (1958) - 10
Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell (1974) - 9
The Horror Of Frankenstein (1970) - 6
The Evil Of Frankenstein (1964) - 4

I'm done [Smile]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Night Strangler - I used to prefer The Night Stalker years ago. But I think that was just because it is the spookier of the 2 because this improves upon that film in every other way. Darren McGavin had perfected the role of Kolchak here and the chemistry between him and Simon Oakland is phenomenal. Jo Ann Pflug was a good addition. I was howling at that ending between the three of them. Can't wait to get stuck into the TV series for the first time now. 9/10
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnum force. Clint Eastwood. 1973. I liked it although the ending wasn't as good as the rest of the movie. Also had Alot of commercials.😁
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last few weeks:

-

The Land That Time Forgot (1974) 6/10

-

The Last Valley (1971) 7/10

-

X, Y & Zee aka Zee & Co. (1972) 8/10

-

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978) 7/10

-

The Mummy´s Hand (1940) 7/10

-

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942) 5/10

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Mummy´s Tomb (1942) 4/10

-

The People That Time Forgot (1977) 7/10

-

Jason and the Argonauts (1963) 6/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Ted Kramer's wife leaves him, allowing for a lost bond to be rediscovered between Ted and his son, Billy. But a heated custody battle ensues over the divorced couple's son, deepening the wounds left by the separation."

Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

I can remember seeing the trailer for this on so many movies I ever rented. I heard about this so much, but it just never interested me.

Well, I finally gave it a chance and I gotta say it's a great movie.

It's a tough watch, with so many touching moments, but it's worth it.

The entire cast were fantastic, but the little kid (Justin Henry) was amazing.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched a few over Christmas and New Year, including the utterly brilliant Arsenic and Old Lace, Scars of Dracula, and a long overdue revisit to It Happened One Night .
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Devil´s Playground (1976) 6/10

-

Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943) 6/10

-

The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave (1971) 5/10

-

The Hired Hand (1971) 9/10

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972) 6/10

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Rabid (1977)

"A young woman develops a taste for human blood after experimental plastic surgery, and her victims turn into blood-thirsty zombies, leading into a city-wide epidemic."

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were going to watch an 80’s movie on Saturday, but decided on Charade (1963) starring Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. If you’ve never seen it, you should. It’s a great film. It’s also been coined “the greatest Hitchcock film Hitchcock never made.” It was directed by Stanley Donen.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch out we're mad with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer which I originally saw at a family matinee back in the early 80s and had not watched since and it's such a fun movie had me in stitches nearly all the way through but it might not be to everyone tastes depends a lot on how much you enjoy slapstick!

Love the catchy theme song Dune Buggy by Oliver Onions which they play throughout plus a really nutty performance from Donald Pleasance.

Awesome fun movie!

https://youtu.be/2YrEbmhFezI - Dune Buggy and the opening of Watch out we're mad.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Watch out we're mad with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer which I originally saw at a family matinee back in the early 80s and had not watched since and it's such a fun movie had me in stitches nearly all the way through but it might not be to everyone tastes depends a lot on how much you enjoy slapstick!

Love the catchy theme song Dune Buggy by Oliver Onions which they play throughout plus a really nutty performance from Donald Pleasance.

Awesome fun movie!

I love the Spencer / Hill movies.. saw most of them on video as a kid.

Watch Out We're Mad is a good example of where they were going with the formula a bit later on in the 70s and early 80s :

Childish, yes.. but funny indeed, occasionally hilarious even.

The best showcase for their comical talents (outside of the Trinita films) is still Crime Busters (1977), in my opinion.

It's good to see some love for the Spencer / Hill movies on the Rewind forums ! [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to check out Crime Busters Johnny I have watched Odds And Evens and Go For It and both were thoroughly enjoyable and often had me in stitches!

Watch Out Were Mad I first watched when I was probably about 7 or 8 and could remember parts of it well even all these years later so it definitely made an impression on me back then at a young age!

Other Matinee showings I caught in the early 80s at the same movie theatre were Popeye,The Empire Strikes Back, Herbie Goes Banana's and Condorman and I can actually still recollect some of the movie trailers that preeceded these films - Stir Crazy, Midnight Express etc.

Next one I'm going to check out is Who Finds a Treasure finds a friend from 1981.

[ 02. June 2020, 04:40: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHoff
Master Rewinder
Member # 37515

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheHoff   Email TheHoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek: The Motion Picture, I know the special effects aren't great and some of the acting is a bit ropey but it was on TV and I couldn't turn it off [Smile]

-

Posts: 315 | Registered: Sep 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 107 pages: 1  2  3  ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home