iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What 80s movie would you recomend to a teenager? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What 80s movie would you recomend to a teenager?
FcMovies
Rewind Curious
Member # 8402

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for FcMovies   Email FcMovies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was kinda wondering cause I'm 15 and I love movies from the 80s but i wana know what you would recomend. (Please note I've already seen John Hughes films. And loved them)
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez the question should be "what 80s movie WOULDN'T you recommend"?

We all have our favorites here, and there are loads that have great scenes, music, acting etc to recommend them.

For stuff with classic 80s feel to them, I'd recommend stuff like

* Electric Dreams
* Ladyhawke
* Spacehunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone
* The Sure Thing
* Short Circuit
* Willow
* The Money Pit
* Streets Of Fire

It's also worth looking through John Hughes' page on imdb.com, because he was very prolific, and to be fair, at 15 I would be surprised if you've entirely exhausted his 1980's efforts.

Only stuff I wouldn't recommend (simply because of our responsibilities here) would be any R rated movies. [Wink]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say Anything
Back to the Future
The Karate Kid
Wargames
Big Trouble in Little China
Star Wars trilogy (original)
Airplane
Goonies
Adventures in Babysitting
Can't Buy Me Love

There's tons of them! Try using the A-Z listing on the main page... there's gold in them thar hills!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start with:

Can't Buy Me Love
The Lost Boys
Back To the Future
Just One of the Guys
The Heavenly Kid

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had experienced the 80s, then you would no doubt know all too well the nuclear war menace (just ask your parents). I would thence recommend these two films.

Threads
The Day After

If you would like to watch them, then they are on YouTube, but I must caution you about "Threads." When you will view it, then you will understand why Mick Martin and Marsha Porter commented in their film review guide that it makes "The Day After" look like a Hollywood musical.
Don't say that you weren't warned. [Eek!]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is 10 and her favorites are
JUST ONE OF THE GUYS
and WEIRD SCIENCE

I am just going to ramble off some good ones, hopefully not just repeating what everyone else said:

SECRET ADMIRER
BETTER OFF DEAD
LITTLE DARLINGS
FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
THE LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN
THE SURE THING
VALLEY GIRL
HEAVEN HELP US
EIGHT DAYS A WEEK
MY CHAUFFER
OLD ENOUGH
FOXES
SPLASH
BIG
TOOTSIE
THIS IS SPINAL TAP

HORROR:

LOST BOYS
FRIGHT NIGHT
A NIGHTNMARE ON ELM STREET 1 & 3

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey FcMovies!

Everyone has listed some great movies above and all are kind of quintessential "80's" movies. My nephew is also 15 and loves all of these old (did I say old?) movies and we have great movies nights once in a while which are always good fun. Some great ones from the 80's that weren't mentioned (I don't think), but are great movies for any decade:

Chariots of Fire - Based on a true story about running...aaand a whole lot more.

The Right Stuff - Another "based on a true story" about the space race. It simply makes you soar. A beautiful movie if there ever was one.

Raiders of the lost Ark & E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial - I can't believe you haven't seen them, but I can't take it for granted either! [Smile]

Romancing the Stone - Which is a poor man's Raider's, but great fun!

Tron - There is nothing more "80's" than Tron next to Hughes! If you haven't seen it, you might want to brush up as the sequel will be out next summer as a big Disney pic. You will definitely want to see what was cutting edge computer effects not so long ago...you really won't believe it. [Razz]

Gremlins - A holiday "must" back when if Spielberg even dropped by a movie set it could do no wrong. We still watch it every Christmas!

Red Dawn - Another high school "must" about a group of high schooler's who hide out in the mountians and fight back against an invading Russian army in the mountain states of America. WOLVERINES! ...Sorry, if you don't get that now, you will soon enough. [Wink]

Footloose - Nobody was more rebellious or cooler than Ren McCormack. The perfect 80's sountrack too. If you want to see the soundtrack, ask your parents if you can see their Footloose cassette tape...they will be running for the storage room to find it.

The Last Starfighter - Play a videogame, win and get recruited to fight an intergalactic war? How cool was that?

Pee Wee's Big Adventure - I promise you will laugh through this entire thing even today as Pee Wee' sets off cross-country in search of his bike! (Hint: It isn't in the basement of The Alamo). [Razz]

Hoosiers - Again with the True stories...what is it with me?! Anyways, Indiana High School basketball and America for that matter never looked better. For a guy it is one of those "lump in the throat" movies.

Anyways, that's just some, I mean there is a whole decade out there to explore, so find the movies, grab the family and sit down for some great stuff. Everything everyone has mentioned here aren't just classic 80's movies, they are just classic movies period. Enjoy!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Eight Days a Week'?

There's a joker in the pack!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
logan, it's the best teen comedy of the 1990 without exception.

mama knows how good it is, and whether it's 80s or not, it's a great recommendation - there are a number of points in the movie that would appeal to your average 15 year old.... [Smile]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EIGHT DAYS A WEEK strikes me as an '80s movie. Even if it WAS made in the '90s It just slid in on the cusp. I like to think maybe their Planning Stages started in the '80s and it SHOWS. hahaha.

Did I say 13 GOING ON 30? That one was made in the '00s but has a 80s vibe (and scenes that take place in the 80s). My daughter likes that one too.

And even though HEVEN HELP US doesnt take place in the 80s it was filmed in the 80s and has a slew of 80s Stars we LOVE in it.

Two More Horrors:

APRIL FOOLS DAY and
VAMP

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FcMovies
Rewind Curious
Member # 8402

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for FcMovies   Email FcMovies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of thanks to all the sugjestions. I shall now look for those movies [Big Grin]
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
logan, it's the best teen comedy of the 1990 without exception.
Come on, Paul! You know that this stuff always comes down to opinion! I liked it too, but I preferred 'Can't Hardly Wait'.

Ok... since we're stretching things a little; I'm recommending the above as well as... 'American Graffiti'!

quote:
EIGHT DAYS A WEEK strikes me as an '80s movie. Even if it WAS made in the '90s It just slid in on the cusp.
Cusp? CUSP?! 1997! That was peak of the anti-80's regime! Remember when people like us had to hide in the shadows? When we were hunted? When we could have been beaten to death in the streets by baying mobs just for listening to Culture Club?! (True story)

That film symbolises the bad old days, and all the evil hypocrisy that went with it! The internet saved us all! I ain't never going back! Not never!

quote:
Did I say 13 GOING ON 30? That one was made in the '00s but has a 80s vibe (and scenes that take place in the 80s). My daughter likes that one too.
I quite liked that. I wanted to like it more, but I found myself a little put off by the anachronisms at the start... that and the fact that it was clearly made by committee to appeal to girls (specifically young). I can't knock it too much, it does what it says on the tin. It would be like criticising candy floss for being nothing more than pink sugar.

quote:
And even though HEVEN HELP US doesnt take place in the 80s it was filmed in the 80s and has a slew of 80s Stars we LOVE in it.
Ah... but it is still an 80's movie no matter when it's set. In the same way that 'Dazed and Confused' is still a 90's movie even though it does a good job of recreating the 70's. Actually, I hereby replace 'Hardly Wait' with 'Dazed' as my fave 'teen' movie of the 90's - and recommend it to those that haven't seen it (notice how few people mention 'Wayne's World' anymore?)
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I love WAYNES WORLD and WAYNES WORLD 2 (although judinging by the people I went to the movies with that was the 90s, not the 80s).

I also loved the first BILL & TED movie. Was that still the 80s?

The funny thing about both WAYNES WORLD and BILL & TED is that even watching it now as an adult they remind me of the kids I used to hang out with as a teenager, so I always feel young again when I watch them.

[ 23. November 2009, 07:09: Message edited by: mamamiasweetpeaches ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Bill & Ted is 80's. Wayne's World is 90's. The first B&T still gets good props from film lovers, but it seems like WW somehow gets left out of the loop.

All funny movies.

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I saw BILL & TED more times in a theter than any other movie. I ahve SOME of the ticket stubs. There are like 15 of em. hahaha. I had a huge crush on Keanu Reeves and when the movie eventually came out on video my best friend payed a video store for their poster so i could hang it over my bed. I sort of wish I still had it. hahaha

I wasnt aware EIGHT DAYS A WEEK was made THAT late into the 90s. I dont know why I thought it came out in like 1990. My bad. I just think it screams 80s. I can well imagine a version in my head starring John Cusak or Jon Cryer as the main charactor and "Booger" as the best friend and someone like Molly Ringwald or Lea Thompson as the chick.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Come on... when you say you *had* a huge crush on Keanu, what you mean is you *have* a crush on Keanu. Don't tell me your heart doesn't flutter everytime you hear his wooden dialogue delivery.

He was perfect for Bill & Ted. He hasn't been cast as well since.

quote:
I can well imagine a version in my head starring John Cusak or Jon Cryer as the main charactor and "Booger" as the best friend and someone like Molly Ringwald or Lea Thompson as the chick.
I think I like the sound of that! If I build my time-machine, would you care to take a trip back and get rich by making the movie with that cast?

Of course, we all know that the definitive Beatles-song-turned-into-a-film was 'Can't Buy Me Love'. Well, after the 70's version of 'Sgt. Pepper' that is... oh no! What've I said?!

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
He was perfect for Bill & Ted. He hasn't been cast as well since.

Johnny Mnemonic was cool. Better than the Matrix IMHO.

quote:
Originally posted by Earl Keese:
Romancing the Stone - Which is a poor man's Raider's, but great fun!

High Road To China - which is a poor man's Romancing The stone, but also great fun!
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by P a u l:
Johnny Mnemonic was cool.

[Eek!] [Razz]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Keanu peaked too soon (who put him in DRACULA? Egads! What were they thinking!) He was great in those confused stoner roles like Ted and that kid in THE RIVERS EDGE (another great movie!) but even when he was in stuff like SPEED (which was one of his better older man roles) and THE MATRIX I was still preferring him as "Ted".

Used to be a time Id rent anything he was in but his movies just seem to have gotten worse and worse as time goes by so I dont anymore.

I did laugh at your "wooden dialogue delivery" line though. I said the man was cute, I didnt say he was a Master Thespian of William Shatner Proportions or anything!

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Did anyone say STAND BY ME???
Again -doesnt take place in the 80s but was made in the 80s with great 80s cast (speaking of people who peaked too soon: watch Corey Feldman in STAND BY ME and ask yourself "What the Hell happened????" Same can be said of
LUCAS with Corey Haim.

These guys were the SID n NANCY of 80s actors. Somehow them getting involved withe achother led them to nothing but doom!

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I don't want to bash Keanu too much, I'm not really a 'hater'. He did some good stuff early on ('River's Edge' was great. Then again he was wallpaper to Crispin Glover's mental patient performance). I like some of his later stuff too (first 'Matrix' and 'Speed' come to mind - never seen Johnny Mnemonic).

Crispin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6b_lSQst0

quote:
I said the man was cute, I didnt say he was a Master Thespian of William Shatner Proportions or anything!
Was that a velvet-gloved bashing of the Shat?! His performance in 'The Intruder' was great! Admittedly, not *all* his performances have been that great...

Shat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

quote:
speaking of people who peaked too soon: watch Corey Feldman in STAND BY ME and ask yourself "What the Hell happened????" Same can be said of LUCAS with Corey Haim.
I too find it hard to reconcile their early performances in those early 'touching' movies with the car-crashes their lives became. At least Feldman seemed to pull himself out of it. Haim just kept taking hard drugs for too long. If he'd managed to pull himself together when Feldman did, he may have even retained some of his pretty boy looks and been able to have a career.

Still, at least Haim didn't do those AWFUL Michael Jackson impressions.

Haim?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6fez3AHUzQ

Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I mean what was that?! It went on for what seemed like forever and even started making it into his movies (like Dream a Little Dream). I mean wow!
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
When he did it in 'Dream a Little Dream' I almost choked on vomit. How could the director let him do a Michael Jackson dance to try and impress Meredith Salenger?!
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I also didnt enjoy Corey Feldman singing CHUCK BERRY songs in ROCK N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL FOREVER. Look, Corey, you're an 80s Child Star Actor. Stop trying to be a freakin' Renasaince Man! Aint nobody wanna see you sing and dance and dress like Michael Jackson! Its like me singing BEATLES songs! Why would anyone pay to hear me do it when they can just put on ABBEY ROAD?!

Speaking of Meredith Salenger:

What about the horror movie THE KISS? That has a totally 80s vibe. Not the best horror movie I've ever seen, but still sorta fun.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'd pay to hear you sing Beatles songs: $2 to sing Abbey Road. In fact, I'll double that offer if you sing all of a Rutles album... shall we say 'Shabby Road'?

Meredith Salenger will always be 'Natty Gann' to me. She turned up in the remake of 'Escape to Witch Mountain' recently.

Never seen 'The Kiss'. I might have to try and find it now. Is it good-good, or bad-good?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home