iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Modern Girls (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Modern Girls
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol!!

i loved muffy's review. because i can totally see where she's coming from in her breakdown of the movie. and she's right. if i had watched this movie today, for the first time, i would have thought all of those things too. but the fact that i grew up watching it, and the mark it made for that time it was released, makes me love it. i used to love that cliffy and margo got together. but ya.. she was a bitch..and she picked on cece a lot, who seemed to be the funnest one, and most light hearted. margo was more the 'adult', if you will. and kelly was definitely the one who needed the attention from the guys.
the club scenes are my favorite thing about the movie, along with the music. well, that and bruno x and his scenes with cece. very cute stuff!

i personally, never thought virginia madsen was pretty at all in this movie, so to me.. the character of kelly just seemed like a desperate one?? cece was cute and i loved her clothes. margo was probably misunderstood to a point, because she was more of the grown up one, looking after the other 2 girls... i think. and maybe cliffy saw that in her?

sorry to analyze the movie so much, i never thought about that stuff until now, after reading muffy's post haha.
i love the end when the girls are standing there together, with cliffy, and bruno x's plane is taking off, while But Not Tonight starts to play. good way to end it! and they all survived the night, and came together at the end. [Smile]

now it's time for me to watch it again [Big Grin]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome Ronnie! I'm glad I made you laugh and made you analyze it in a different way ha!

I'm so happy no one hates me yet for not loving it [Smile] I did try real hard to justify why I felt the way I do haha

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
The movie always loses me after the first club and Bruno leaves.

I think the movie actually picks up nicely at that point. Cliff realizes that he's in it for the long haul and accepts it, and the girls really start to take to him and open up.

I really enjoy the Bruno X music video shoot out on the street. Especially when the dancers just dump Cliffy on the ground when it's a wrap. That's my main man, Martin Ferrero, playing the video director.

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to re-watch it. I remember very little.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie, in honor of you reminding me once again how much I love "Modern Girls"...

Have you watched these awesome videos yet?

Bruno X "Bond of Addiction"

Bruno X "Safare"

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Engrossing thread, Valley.

I shall be viewing "Modern Girls" shortly.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.. so Ronnie sent me these incredible behind the scenes pics from the "Modern Girls" set that I just had to share!

-

-

-

-

-

Awesome or what!!!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love those shots [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Those snap shots are just incredible pics! They truly look like they are having a blast making the movie.

I think Tiffany mentioned watching it for the first time recently on here somewhere.. what did you think about "Modern Girls"?

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to know the story behind those shots? Is it someone who worked on the film or something? backstory please? link? [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, Ronnie & Valley, those pics are a helluva find!! Love them! When I met Cynthia Gibb, I had her sign my VHS of Modern Girls & she told me they had SO much fun making the film because basically, they were out shooting all night in Los Angeles & would just have a great time & then wrap at like 6 a.m., get some sleep & then do it all over again the next night. Gotta love the firsthand scoop [Smile] !

But before I go, I have a question, it occurs to me that the fountain the cast is standing in that first picture looks very familiar...could it be the same one used in the Go Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed" video? Hmmmmm....

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Cindy, I'm gonna say probably, I mean really how many fountains are cool enough to have water fights in?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Anyone else go out and purchase the HUMPE HUMPE album after seeing it surface in "Modern Girls"?

-

Obscure? In 1985, for some reason, Warner Brothers records released the debut album from two sisters from Germany that called themselves HUMPE HUMPE.  "Yama-ha" was the song that first caught my attention from the album, but I now like several tunes from the album.  

The sisters went on to rename their group "Swimming With Sharks" in 1987 and had two singles you might remember "Careless Love" and "No Longer Friends".

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Cool, cool.. there's alot of people in my life right now. I don't need this.. I'll see ya around.. kid"
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched this one again recently thanks to Netflix and still loved it. I really feel like CeCe and Cliffy are the heart and soul of this movie. The other two girls are great but just not as fun in my opinion. The Kelly storyline kinda dragged the movie down in some ways.

The music defintely keeps the movie going. Love that Bruno X song Safare, and of course But Not Tonight by Depeche Mode.

The producer of this movie, Anita Rosenberg, went to a screening of Modern Girls recently and she said that Meg Ryan and Sarah Jessica Parker both auditioned for the role of CeCe but were both rejected because they weren't "pretty" enough. Crazy, huh? Also, the movie was originally supposed to be called Party Girls but was changed to Modern Girls because of an article written in Playboy about these girls in LA that frequented all the clubs.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Good job, Veronica! Great tidbits. I always thought the title of the movie was strange..the word 'modern', I mean.

I'm also in the mood for this one again. [Smile]

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah Jessica Parker is NOT pretty now. She was ok back then but I'm glad she didn't get the role.
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie, I agree about the title! It's kinda misleading in a way...When I think 'Modern' I think of modern art or something and this movie is so not about that haha.

Skatexedge, I'm happy too that Cynthia Gibb ended up playing CeCe. I like SJP but Cynthia was so cute in that role and really made it unique. Meg Ryan would've been over the top ditzy I think.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Is this where Cliffy tells Cece that he reads Playboy for the articles? [Wink]

Actually after checking out the article .. the title "Modern Girls" seems perfect for the film now. However, I must admit that I originally missed this movie in the 80's.. probably because of the title.

Ronnie.. those behind the scene pictures above are just freakin' awesome and totally have me craving another late night viewing of "Modern Girls" again soon. [Cool]

[ 17. December 2011, 23:01: Message edited by: Valley ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home